1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Scatter Shooting While Thinking About the Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by crash5179, Mar 14, 2010.

1. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

If Chris Bosh was acquired in a sign and trade this off-season would the Rockets be considered Bosh’s team? When was the last time any player on the Rockets put up the kind of numbers that Bosh is putting up this season 24ppg, 11rpg, 1bpg and over 50% shooting? Yao did 25 and 9 a few years ago but in another system prior to major foot reconstruction surgery. Bosh is also 25 while Yao will be 30 going into next season. Remember when Scottie Pippen was acquired years ago the Rockets PR department played the Rockets up as Scotties team, his chance to lead a team to the promised land with out MJ even with Dream on the Roster. Would giving Chris a chance to lead a Rockets team that would have him paired with Yao, Ariza, Martin and Brooks be to good for him to pass up? I think it would be very hard for him to pass up.

Thinking of Trevor Ariza, he just seems so much more comfortable playing the Small Forward spot than he was when he was playing the shooting guard spot. He is not being asked to handle the ball near as much and he is playing closer to the basket except when spotting up for a three. I actually like him in the line-up with Brooks and Martin. I know its only two games in but he seems to be playing with in himself and not trying to do more than he is capable of like he was prior to the Kevin Martin trade this summer.

Anyone else notice that although Chuck Hayes is still starting, Jordan Hill has averaged about 24 minutes a game to Chucks 14 over the last 3 games? Of course after the way Jordan played against the Nets, Chuck might see an increase in his minutes the next game. Jordan looked to make Brooks Lopez work a little harder at scoring than Chuck did but mostly he just looked lost. Of course a few up and down performances from Jordan are not to be unexpected coming to a new team as a rookie and playing so little with your former team. I hope RA continues to go with him so he can develop confidence. Jordan may never posses the offensive skills that Landry or Scola have but maybe with his size and athleticism he can more than make up for that.

I have been thinking that Scola would not get much more than the MLE this summer but the way he has played since the Landry trade suggests that a contract in the 8 to 10 million range or more might be possible if he keeps this up for the remainder of the season. During the month of March he is averaging 24ppg, 14rpg on 58.4% shooting in 39 minutes a game. The increase in minutes due to Landry’s departure has shown that given true starters minutes he can produce like an all-star. What might be just as important for the Rockets is what this might mean for teams like Toronto when they are looking for potential sign and trade partners this summer. Would Scola and a NYK lotto pick (as the main pieces) be as good as it could get for Toronto? Would you rather have David Lee and no pick or Scola and a NYK lottery pick? To me that is a no brainer if you are the Raptors.

2. ABrooks0

ABrooks0 Member

I stopped after reading "If".
    It's always a "if". It's to early to be talking about getting Bosh.

3. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Scatter Shooting While Wondering.... if you stopped reading after "IF" how do you know Bosh was even mentioned in this thread. Things that make you go hmmmmm. :p

BTW, you may have missed the whole point of a Scatter Shooting Thread.

4. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

I'd guess that as long as Yao is on our team, it is Yao's team.

5. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

VIVA SCOLA!!

Bosh or nothing. Bosh or we keep Luis.

6. buzz1701

buzz1701 Contributing Member

More of Chuck Hayes is NOT a good thing for the Rockets. I still don't understand why he is starting. He has not looked good this year and Jeffries and/or Hill has got to be better. At least the coach has noticed tis too, that's why Hayes' minutes have gone way down.

As far as signing Bosh...I'm not sure we need him let alone can get him. I think we are developing quite the team right now. With a lottery pick for us coming up this year, (probably), and Morey pulling his usual tricks and Yao coming back, this team will be a contenter next year without Bosh.

7. Lovemachine2000

Perhaps the increased minutes (leading to increased production) of Scola as of late is the Rockets' way of showing to the rest of the league (read: Toronto) what a capable player Scola is. Is this Morey's way of hiking up Scola's value and selling high in the summer? I am a huge fan of Scola's game, but if we can net Bosh in a trade, I'd have no problem giving up Scola.

8. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

scola's increased production is also driving up his asking price this summer. i'm really happy for luis, but i find it counter productive from a management standpoint to play him so many minutes. they should keep his minutes where they were (about 30 per game) and play jordan hill as many minutes as he can handle.

it's more productive to raise jordan's stock for a sign and trade since he is under contract and does not have a say in where he wants to play next year. scola on the other hand would have to agree to play for toronto, and agree on a new salary. two things that may be very difficult to orchestrate.

the answer to getting a S&T for bosh is ending contracts (jeffries and battier), increased value of jordan hill as a replacement for bosh, and a first round pick (either ours this summer, or one of NY's in the future).

9. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

ABrooks0
    MemberSince: Jan 2010

Leave it to the newbies to hang themselves :eek: :eek:

10. topfive

topfive CF OG

Wrong. It's this guy's team:

[​IMG]

11. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

The media would try to paint it as Bosh's team, just like they tried to say that the team was Ariza's early in the season.

Doesn't make it true, however.

12. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member