1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

scary movies

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Dogbelly, Jan 4, 2003.

Tags:
  1. Dogbelly

Dogbelly Member

i am of the opinion that there is no such thing as a scary movie. I can think of no other reason that I cannot find one. A friend and I have been trying to find a good, scay movie fo a while and have been quite unsuccessful. I have seen several lists of the "10 Scariest Movies" or whatever and they all have the same stuff that I have seen for years. Does anyone have any suggestions for a movie that is scary that is maybe flying under the radar. And it doesn't necessarily have to be Horror. A good Thriller can be just as scary. Actually, they are usually more so. Thanks for any help you can give.

2. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

Ishtar

3. BullRider

BullRider Member

how about the movie Se7en?

4. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

research shows Bamby is the most scarie movie for the people that watch it:D .

seriously. i do not get scared alto. beter yet i never get scared watching a movie, most horror make me laugh.
    i likes What lies beneath.
    stir of echo's
    those two where nice, i liked the first better. whe i watched it the 3 people i watched it with where scared, some parts you know what is comming from a mile away. But the atmosfeer there is in that movie is kinda exciting. But i think you have see them both.
    i gues i can't help you because i have never saw a scary movie. one you shoudn't watch is House on haunted hill it is so boring and stupid, just as 12 ghosts, and the mothmen profecies. those where verry bad

5. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

The Ring wasnt that scary but was freaking freaky as heck, wierdest movie i have ever seen.

6. Dogbelly

Dogbelly Member

I heard from several people tha tthe ring was good, but I never know wether to believe people or not. Anyone seen Signs? How is that?

i guess what I am looking for is something that, as was stated above, has a certain atmosphere. Something that creates tension. And you are right. Almost all horror movies are laughable.

7. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Most horror movies (most movies for that matter) are only effective if you go in not knowing anything. If you have the slightest idea of what's going to happen, you're likely not going to be very scared/surprised/tensed up. Nowadays, it seems like every movie has over-revealing trailers and in-depth previews and reviews so it's very hard to maintain any kind of ignorance.

I will say this - horror movies are usually more effective when there's a large audience. There's something contagious about fear and even if the movie doesn't outright scare you, the other people's reactions can make the experience much more intense. For example, The Blair Witch Project was not that scary, but when I saw it, the audience was made up of a bunch of people who actually thought it was some kind of supernatural snuff film. Watching the movie with these people definitely heightened the fear factor (although what I really remember is feeling seasick because of the herky-jerky camera work).

8. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

Some of those documentaries about haunted houses are pretty scary.

9. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

The Ring was pretty good IMO, i saw Signs which i thought was good, but from what i am reading from you it prob wouldnt be scary enough for you, i mean it only had like 2 or 3 scary parts in it so you would prob just laugh it up :D

10. jello77

jello77 Contributing Member

the ring was scary as hell. im not joking, when we saw that in theatres, the people i went with, we all got the crap scared out of us.

11. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I just watched THE PIANIST last night, and it was fairly tense for the whole 2 and half hours. It's a true story of a jewish guy from Poland who evaded the Nazis during all of WWII. Scary at times. The directing (DePalma) is really incredible.

I mention this one because it's not your typical "scary" movie, but I had all these aches after the movie from being tensed up.

12. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

Scanners freaks me out. :)

13. Timing

Timing Member

I have little use for 99.9% of horror movies. Booooooring...

14. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Agreed.

15. Dreamshake

Dreamshake Contributing Member

Nothing was as scary as a ghoulish figure who could get you in your sleep....when your a young buck.

Freddy had me scared to fall asleep at night.

Now, when I watch his flicks, beyond its overly cheesy parts, I just laugh.

I think Scary movies are only scary to younger people.

16. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

i just saw candyman...it sucked...

17. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

The only part of The Ring that was kinda "scary" was the video. I kept staring at the tv expecting the tv to come on with the static. I was a great movie. Probably one of the best "horror" movies I have ever seen. Really freaky though...

18. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

The Ring was horrible and not at all scary. Signs was 1000 times better and did a much better job of creating a tension in the air.

19. MoBalls

MoBalls Contributing Member

This comment was scary......"freaking freaky as heck".........kidding.....The Ring was good but not as scary as The Exorsist........

20. IVFL

IVFL Member

I think the scariest movie I ever saw was Chairman of the Board,with Carrot top. . . . the fact he was acting just freaked me out.

Oh and Big top Pee Wee was a pretty scary movie.:eek: