1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Scam???

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Cowboy_Bebop, May 25, 2009.

1. Cowboy_Bebop

Cowboy_Bebop Member

I got this in my email. Don't know what to really think of it. But this scam is so tempting.
    ===================
    Dear ... ....,

I am ..... ...., a legal practitioner of..... .... Chambers & Associates in Kuala Lumpur Malaysia, I saw your contact and profile and decided that you could cooperate with me in this proposition.

I have a client who was deceased in November 2005,in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.I am contacting you because you have the same surname as my deceased client and i felt that you could help me in the distribution of funds that were left in my deceased client's account.
    This fund is close to been declared un-serviceable by the finance house as there were no indicated next of kin or next of beneficiary of the fund in the account, having remained dormant for long.The total amount of cash in the account of my deceased client is US$ 6..7 Million ( Six Million, Seven Hundred Thousand United States dollars Only ).

The finance house had issued me, a notification to contact the next of kin of my deceased client, to make beneficiary claim, of the fund in the account, with a month surcharge of 6% to be deducted as an Escrow safe keeping fee of the account,so as to avoid the indefinite closure of the account.

My proposition to you is to seek your consent, and to present your kind self as the next-of-kin and beneficiary of my deceased client, since you have the same last name with him.

This means that the proceeds of his account would be paid to you as his next of kin or the legitimate beneficiary.When the proceeds in his account are paid to you, we would share the proceeds on a mutually agreed-upon percentage of 60% to me and 40% to your kind self.

All the legal documents to back up your claim as my client's next of-kin would be provided by me. The most important thing I would need is your honesty, utmost confidentiality and cooperation in this proposition.This would be done under a legitimate arrangement that would protect you from any breach of the law.

Please If this business proposition offends your Value,feel free to decline this proposal....And do not hesitate to contact me at once if you're interested by replying the mail.

Yours Faithfully,
    .... .... (Esq)
    ======================

2. Kyakko

Kyakko Contributing Member

wouldn't it be funny if an african princess really did chosed you to help her smuggle 100 million dollars and willing to share 15percent. But you didn't believe it.

3. aghast

aghast Member

That's pretty cool. How many Malaysian Bebops are there?

4. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I'm still in contact with my african princess about my check.

5. Cowboy_Bebop

Cowboy_Bebop Member

I mean if this is all true, I'm screwing myself over. But I've been told about the Nigerian scam . Pretty much similar to the email I've received.

6. bamtonio

bamtonio Member

wait, so you do realize this is a scam right?

7. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

awwww....i wish i was the beneficiary of such generosity. :(

8. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Are you serious? Of course it's not a scam. Malaysia is a pretty clean country - I've been there several times. If you transfer a % up front I can help walk you through the whole process.

9. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

A legitimate contact for an inheritance would not be made via email.

10. Cowboy_Bebop

Cowboy_Bebop Member

LOL. It just that I recently read this , and today I read this before checking my email. It funny how the mind give you so much hope.

But yeah, it's a big scam. Similiar stuff here .

11. yo

yo Contributing Member

This guy must be new to this internets thing.

12. Cowboy_Bebop

Cowboy_Bebop Member

I'm new to this kind of scamming. Usually I know it's a scam right away. This scam left no links or asking for my info right off the bat and being very polite about it. But I have to admit it caught me off guard because one situation lead to another like my earlier post about reading a certain articles and suddenly receiving a strange email.

Come on. Don't tell me $6.7mil isn't tempting...

13. Sajan

Sajan Member

exactly what these scammers are counting on...greed.

14. 1JumpShot

1JumpShot Member

No i saw a show on this, it is a scam, it has to be!

15. 111chase111

111chase111 Contributing Member

So you're the guy who actually falls for this type of thing...

16. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

<br>
    I didn't think they existed. A rare breed indeed....

17. R0ckets03

Wasn't there recently a story about some mid-western chick giving away thousands and thousands of dollars to these Nigerian scam artists?

18. R0ckets03

http://www.katu.com/news/34292654.html

SWEET HOME, Ore. – Janella Spears doesn’t think she’s a sucker or an easy mark.

Besides her work as a registered nurse, Spears – no relation to the well-known pop star – also teaches CPR and is a reverend who has married many couples. She also communicates with lightning-fast sign language with her hearing-impaired husband.

So how did this otherwise lucid, intelligent woman end up sending nearly half a million dollars to a bunch of con artists running what has to be one of the best-known Internet scams in the world?

Spears fell victim to the "Nigerian scam," which is familiar to almost anyone who has ever had an e-mail account.

The e-mail pitch is familiar to most people by now: a long-lost relative or desperate government official in a war-torn country needs to shuffle some funds around, say $10 million or $20 million, and if you could just help them out for a bit, you get to keep 10 (or 20 or 30) percent for your trouble.

All you need to do is send X-amount of dollars to pay some fees and all that cash will suddenly land in your checking account, putting you on Easy Street. By the way, please send the funds though an untraceable wire service.

By this time, not many people will fall for such an outrageous pitch, and the scam is very well-known. But it persists, and for a reason: every now and then, it works.

For Spears, it started, as it almost always does, with an e-mail. It promised $20 million and in this case, the money was supposedly left behind by her grandfather (J.B. Spears), with whom the family had lost contact over the years.

"So that's what got me to believe it," she said.

Spears didn't know how the sender knew J.B. Spears' name and her relation to him, but her curiosity was piqued.

It turned out to be a lot of money up front, but it started with just $100.

The scammers ran Spears through the whole program. They said President Bush and FBI Director "Robert Muller" (their spelling) were in on the deal and needed her help.

They sent official-looking documents and certificates from the Bank of Nigeria and even from the United Nations. Her payment was "guaranteed."

Then the amount she would get jumped up to $26.6 million – if she would just send $8,300. Spears sent the money.

More promises and teases of multi-millions followed, with each one dependent on her sending yet more money. Most of the missives were rife with misspellings.

When Spears began to doubt the scam, she got letters from the President of Nigeria, FBI Director Mueller, and President Bush. Terrorists could get the money if she did not help, Bush’s letter said. Spears continued to send funds. All the letters were fake, of course.

She wiped out her husband’s retirement account, mortgaged the house and took a lien out on the family car. Both were already paid for.

For more than two years, Spears sent tens and hundreds of thousands of dollars. Everyone she knew, including law enforcement officials, her family and bank officials, told her to stop, that it was all a scam. She persisted.

Spears said she kept sending money because the scammers kept telling her that the next payment would be the last one, that the big money was inbound. Spears said she became obsessed with getting paid.

An undercover investigator who worked on the case said greed helped blind Spears to the reality of the situation, which he called the worst example of the scam he’s ever seen.

He also said he has seen people become obsessed with the scam before. They are so desperate to recoup their losses with the big payout, they descend into a vicious cycle of sending money in hopes the false promises will turn out to be real.

Now, Spears has gone public with her story as a warning to others not to fall victim.

She hopes her story will warn others to listen to reason and avoid going down the dark tunnel of obsession that ended up costing her so much.

Spears said it would take her at least three to four years to dig out of the debt she ran up in pursuit of the non-existent pot of Nigerian gold.

19. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

wow.

i honestly don't even know what to say.

20. R0ckets03

I could show you the way.

Please use www.paypal.com to send me $100 for my services first though.