1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[SBNation] Rockets Can Win The NBA Title: Seriously

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DFWRocket, Sep 29, 2015.

1. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

We are overlooked because we have a **** coach

When it gets to nuts and bolts coaching will be a handicap like seen against GSW.

2. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

I do think Houston is one of the most overlooked teams, but most disrespected good team has to be Memphis. They were only one win out from second seed. They also lost to the defending champs. And they've been this dangerous for a few years now, upgrading their roster slowly and retaining the core.

3. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Also should add that they are never in conversation and get no media coverage. Like none. Atleast people say bad things about us. They say nothing about Memphis

4. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Not with the "power forwards" they have, they cant.

No harm in dreaming though.

5. OpenLayup-Why3?

Dekker and Montrezl seem to be very hyped compared to our recent rookies, no? We'll be deep as never before, so there really shouldn't be talks about mid first rounder and second rounder and their impacts.

6. malakas

malakas Member

True. Only good analysts mention Memphis and that's more because they are like the only team that plays old school bball. A completely different style than the rest of the league.

7. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

I like his point about the clippers. They add a few nice rotation players and they are contenders. While the Rockets add one of the better PGs to a major need area but don't get the same elevation.

8. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

Most media pre-season picked us 7th-9th in the West. Then they also didn't pick us to win any playoff series. So saying "the whole world knew we'd bet our butt whipped" is a stretch. Eventually, the whole world would be right if they said anything other than picking us to win it all.

9. Krizzle

Krizzle Member

We are a contender. Thats all we need to know for this upcoming season. We got to work for that championship, and this group of players seems to be it everyone is vibing cant wait to see how they look like out on the court as a unit.

10. bmd

bmd Member

Exactly. They were underrated all year.

They kept moving the goal posts.

"They'll finish 8th in the West". "They won't keep the 2nd seed". "They'll lose in the first round". "They'll lose in the second round". "They won't get to the Finals". Etc.

And then after the last one... "they won't get to the Finals", they act like "see, I told you they weren't good enough to get past the WCF!! I knew they were overrated!"

Like you said, unless the Rockets won the title, they'd be right eventually because they keep moving the goalposts.

11. Harden2Capela

Harden2Capela Member

Dekker was supposed to be a lottery pick but he fell, if the bucks didnt have giannis and jabari parker they would have taken him. Dekker was a steal, Harrell was also projected to be a lottery pick if he declared after his sophomore season, we have 2 lottery talents thx to morey

12. Harden2Capela

Harden2Capela Member

lol espn and bruce bowen had us losing to dallas in the first round

13. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

i hope we play them again this year and they are the 8th seed and we sweep them. ;)

14. deshen

deshen Member

SBNation is nice, but nothing insight.

15. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

The rockets will get respect if the following two criteria are met:

1. Beat the top teams in each conference
    2. Don't play down to the bottom feeders

Each year there are a few teams we just can't hang with. We would get embarrassed by the Clips, Pacers, Warriors, Spurs etc. Top teams must fear us and respect us. No moral victories. Beat the top teams period.

Then you have the crap teams or wannabe teams like the Kings, Bulls, pelicans, magic or what have you kicking our asses.

I know there will be off nites, back to back games, long road stretches, biased officiating, bad weather, delayed flights, nagging minor injuries, cold/flu bugs, players not available due to family reasons, possible trades and chemistry issues etc etc etc. Nontheless, the Rockets must kick ass and take names

16. Remlap

Remlap Member

We had several players out last year with injuries.
    Had to improvise starting lineups most of the season. Even into the playoffs.
    Made it all the way to the WCF and we're saying that's BAD coaching?

17. OTMax

OTMax Member

McHale bashing, really? McHale has been great this last year. I was skeptical about his abilities to adjust properly to injuries and opponents over the course of a series, but he's done very well. Nothing wrong with being underrated, makes it that much better when we win!! :cool:

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Does not matter. Either win the chip - the best case would be win it with dominance

or face media disrespect

19. the shark

the shark Member

Who gives a rats ass what the media thinks.

Even if they loved the Rockets would this make us a better team?

20. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I'm still not sold that Dekker is a contributor at the NBA level.

He doesn't have consistent shooting range , is probably going to be a liability defensively and just doesn't appear explosive physically. He's a bit thin for the 4 spot and slow for the 3 .... He's a tweener and doesn't really excel at any one thing. I thought he was a chucker @ Wisconsin - Got to give him credit for not being afraid to take those big shots tho ....

Hope I'm wrong but I think those are the reasons he fell down the draft. He's going to have to really improve his shooting from range to make an impact in the league. My expectations for him this season are very low.

Harrell on the other hand does have that physical explosiveness , is a good rebounder .... If he can develop a mid range game , he'll carve out minutes and have a long career. I think he has a better chance to contribute this season than Dekker .... mainly because of the injury to DMo but also because he does do some things at an elite level. Would like to see him box out more / better rather than relying upon pure athleticism.