1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[SB Nation] How The Rockets Should Solve the Chandler Parsons Conundrum

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by wfeebs, Feb 11, 2014.

1. shakes05

shakes05 Rookie

Overrated??? He's shooting over 45% from the field, 37% from 3-point range. Pekovic is also a good rebounder for the team...T-Wolves are just terrible overall. The overrated player on their team is Ricky Rubio, gladly the hype has cometh to a cease. Kevin Love is top 3 PF in the NBA, in my opinion, the best overall PF in the NBA.

2. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

So which one is the third star? Courtney Lee or Brandon Bass? We can't trade Lin and Asik for a third star. No one would give us one this season for that package. Un point, c'est tout.

If the Rockets use their cap space to acquire a third star and then offer Parsons a contract on his Bird rights, he is likely to accept because:

* Morey appreciates his value and he'll make a competitive offer.
    * With the third star in the fold, flexibility and cap management become a lower priority and the Rockets will become more willing to spend to secure the last piece to win the championship; Rockets could overspend for Parsons and still win a championship.
    * Rockets hold his Bird Rights, meaning he can get bigger raises from us. And, he can't pick any team he wants, he can only pick among teams with cap space (and they usually aren't as good).
    * Though he can take any offer, an offer of a rich contract from a team where he already fits, has 3 stars, and will contend for a championship is a no brainer decision.

I think the trickier question is what do we do with Parsons if we haven't acquired that third star? Once you sign Parsons to his big contract, your flexibility under the cap is gone. Do you try to re-sign Lin and Asik with their Bird Rights? If so, you're trotting out essentially the same team you had the last 2 seasons. And, if they leave (likely enough for Asik) you're actually worse. Can Parsons be your third star and fill out the roster with the MLE to get you over the top? Seems unlikely.

3. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Pay the man Les , he deserves every penny you give him.

4. khyberjones

khyberjones Member

Parsons brings solid stats to a position that is the most replaceable in the NBA. That's the dilemma. Would you pay $9-$10 million under the current CBA for such a player? Somebody will, but not Houston. Morey has already seemed to answer this question by saying the team needs a third star player, implying that Parsons is not it. He isn't going to pay him. He is going to shop him to get that 3rd star. Personally, I think the better move for the Rockets is to get a better coach who can get more out of this roster, including the star players. McHale will take this team up to a point, but I don't see him as the guy who gets a team like this into the NBA finals or win the championship. He's closer to Vinny Del Negro and Lionel Hollins than he is Greg Popovich, Erick Spoelstra or Rick Carlisle.

5. apollo33

apollo33 Member

he doesn't play defense so no he isn't the best overall

please it's hard to really judge him because of the crappy environment he is in. Take him to a good team he will never average those numbers but will he still be impactful without those overblown stats?

6. pippsux

pippsux Member

Who wrote this article and what are his motives?

Parsons is the glue that keeps this team together. He allows harden and Howard to play one on one most nights and that has translated to lots of wins. Stating his deficiencies as a defender is classic way to sell a player short and reduce his value... what He brings and has brought on and off the court cannot be measured.

Personally I think We can lose lin and asik, but Parsons is a keeper with a good motor and has earned the right to be the 3rd banana. If morey screws this up and does not take care of Parsons and over pays some other player, I'll be livid.
    Pay the man his money!

7. SHARKLIN-SOUP

SHARKLIN-SOUP Member

Parsons not being the 3rd star is like a slap on the face for him. He's good enough to be the 3rd star. If they offer him what he deserves, would that mean they have to trade Asik and/or Lin to avoid Luxury tax?

8. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Sorry, but no, that would not work.

Teams cannot back-load contracts by more than the standard 7.5% annual raises permitted under the CBA. The back-loaded cap impact on the Lin and Asik offer sheets (that only would have applied to the Knicks and Bulls, respectively, had they matched the offer sheets) are limited to the ever-so-rare Arenas Rule situation. Such a situation (a) is not applicable to Parsons and (b) even if it were, and the Rockets let another team make such an offer to Parsons so that the Rockets could match it, it would likely hurt the Rockets more than help them, as it would destroy them with luxury taxes in the third and fourth years of the Parsons contract.

9. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Lin did save the Rox many games just be facilitating and pushing the tempo when nothing else was happening. It's his shooting that is the most inconsistent part of his game that will cost him in the long run.

10. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

11. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

Lol quite smoking that funny stuff. do you want the rockets to be a 2nd round playoff team every year full of good guys who buy in? We shoulda kept Adleman and that squad if we wanted that type of team. Hardens more talented then 99% of the NBA and he's not even 25 yet. This team is not better long term or short term without him. How many games has he won for us this season? The answer is alot. You don't win championships without elite wing players like harden it just so happens that we have an elite center too.

What your trying to imply is like the notion that the heat were better without wade in the Miami heats 1st season because they had a better record in the few games he was out. Obviously that's complete bs and so is the idea that we should trade our best player for role players to surround Lin, parsons and Howard lol.. I can't believe that someone would really think that team could ever be better than a team built around harden and Howard. Here's a thought why don't the rockets get rid of Lin and asik and use that money to find good role players to buy into what we have with harden and Howard? That makes a little more sense doesn't it?

12. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

You know who eats up our cap space our back up pg and center. Lol

13. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

My mind is finally made up regarding the Parsons conundrum. the smart move is to let him become a restricted free agent. his fair market value is likely anywhere from 8-12mill depending on how desperate/stupid a team accouts. that's un-restricted value. as a restricted free agent teams will shy away if they know we will match any offer. teams will likely not offer full value and we could end up retaining Parsons on a value contract of 6-7mill.

on the flip side, someone can go Morey on us and offer a 12mill a yr contract and see if we balk. but at worse we retain a key core player, even if at an inflated price. whereas if we let him test the waters in 2015 he could sign elsewhere losing a key player. not only that we could strike out in the fa bonanza and lose Parsons for nothing.

Morey always goes the restricted route, and i see him doing it again.

14. shawn786

shawn786 Member

Parsons was one of the main reasons Howard come to the Rockets.

He probably played the biggest roll. Howard him self said that Parsons was probably the deciding factor in him coming to Houston.

That being said he should get paid this summer! Even if it wasn't for the Howard thing, the guy puts it all on the line every game.

Morey & Les have to show some loyalty and pay the man.

15. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Parsons deserves a nice Porsche Cayenne from Dwight. How come Harden got that ridiculously expensive watch over Parsons?

16. Ketchup&Mustard

I stand corrected.

That said, I was just giving that flawed example to provide a counterpoint in my argument. I don't support offering Parsons any type of contract this summer as I hope we exercise the team option.

17. Shaq2Yao

Shaq2Yao Member

Carlos Boozer says hi.

18. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

19. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

What I'm saying is Harden will never lead this team to a championship with his no defense and hero ball attitude. Parsons even called him out on it http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=250202

I've watched enough basketball to know that Harden is not nor ever will be a superstar with that selfish attitude. I don't know if he still has swollen feet or a whatever the issue is but his defense and bad and when he can't get calls for baiting the refs he basically goes into chucking mode.

20. noone

noone Rookie

I like Big Sexy Stretch Armstrong. His game is really sharp but he needs to not let his game fall apart against Kevin Durant, Lebron James, and Paul George. That's the only thing holding him back.