1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[SB Nation] How The Rockets Should Solve the Chandler Parsons Conundrum

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by wfeebs, Feb 11, 2014.

1. makman

makman Member

I think it's easy to get lost in the numbers, but anyone who watches the rockets knows how important he is to our team. Watching last night reminded me how I was upset about him starting over bud initially, and thinking he couldn't shoot but played great d. Point is he has improved every year and I think he still has room to grow. What happens with Lin and asik will prob determine his contract coming up.

2. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

It's a Catch 22. If you decline the team option, someone else could make him an insane offer(whether to screw with the Rockets or because they really want Parsons that badly) and then you're forced to match it. If you exercise the team option, Parsons can go wherever he wants in 2015. I don't envy Morey in situations like this.

3. NotChandlerParsons

Remember when the GARM was furious that he was taking minutes away from future superstars Terrence Williams and Marcus Morris? Good times.

4. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

No, I don't remember that. There are always a few posters whining about some guy at the end of the bench not getting minutes. But, I think most Clutchfans have been very pleased that Parsons has been in the lineup since early in his rookie season.

5. Muaz

Muaz Member

Parsons plays a lot more on the perimeter now and with jones and Howard grabbing all the boards doesn't really leave room for him. Remember early on he would always get these putback slam off of offensive rebounds doent happen as much anymore though.

6. Ketchup&Mustard

I agree with Ziller here. Why risk our future cap flexibility and lock up Parsons this year? The free agent class next year provides a lot of options if Parsons and the Rocket's can't agree on a contract in 2015. Not to mention, due to the big free agent class of 2015, it might contain Parson's negotiating leverage for his contract because he isn't the only fish in the pond (and teams may be tied up pursuing other big name FA's).

It's also no secret that Parsons loves being in Houston. I know it's only a small piece of the puzzle to consider, but he's close friends with all of his teammates and has established his home here. I feel he might consider taking a mil or two less a year to sign with Rockets if comparable offers are on the table elsewhere.

On the other hand, we could consider signing him this summer as a RFA and backload his contract like Omer and Jeremy so that we don't go over the luxury tax next year. Im no Bimathug, but I think that would work. The problem, however, lies in giving up the "free" year on his contract, tying up valuable cap space before we can explore other options next summer, and potentially facing the same issue we have had with Omer's contract down the line. If we back load his contract, it could be really tough to move him at the end of his contract if we need to for any reason.

I like Parsons just as much as anyone, but it's worth the risk to exercise the team option. If we want a real shot at our "third banana", signing Parsons this year could end up being a huge obstacle in 2015.

1 person likes this.
  7. quatin

quatin Member

Chandlers numbers are inflated with high minutes. Break it down to per 36 or look at PER. Kwahi Leonard, Micheal Beasley, Trevor Ariza are all in the same ball park. If you look at last years numbers, Parsons is just an average SF.

The real question is how much is Parsons worth to the Rockets? If we don't end up signing a major free agent in 2015, can we afford to lose Parsons as well with Lin and Asik leaving? There's less risk in 2014, because our bench is still strong and like the article said, Casspi can be a decent stop gap until we find another young SF. Therefore, I think we should try to sign Parsons this summer. If he gets in the $8+ million range, make sure it's only for 3 years guaranteed and with a 4th year team option.

8. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Yeah , this team struggles to do much of anything right when Parsons is on the bench .... He does more than his stats would have you believe. He does a lot of little things like moving off the ball that gets others easy buckets ....

9. Koperboy

Koperboy Member

I think this analogy doesn't hold water with NBA players. Parsons's chance of playing as a starter for a very good team is invaluable to his progress as a player. He can make a lot of money from endorsements. So salary is not the only factor here. I'm sure Parsons won't hold any grudge against Morey if he doesn't pay him next season.

10. solid

solid Contributing Member

11. shakes05

shakes05 Rookie

Parson is not being sold short. Definitely something our management must strategically consider this summer...think about it: we still have Asik and Lin contracts and if we decide to let Parsons become a restricted free agent in order to pay his market value, this will definitely put us over the cap and have to pay luxury tax, which will keep us from possibly signing another key free agent to help our team. I say, pick up his team option, don't trade Lin or Asik this season for their contracts will be much more valuable next season (expiring contracts)...we can possibly get a 3rd star in Love

12. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

What if the Rockets don't pick up the team option for 14/15 and make Parsons a RFA? That leaves an opening for "attractive" teams like the Lakers, Mavericks, and maybe even Boston (who all would need a SF and would have the conceivable salary cap) to make a ridiculous offer that Houston probably can't/won't match.

What if the Rockets pick up the team option and let Parsons test the FA market in 15/16? Even more teams are going to be in the mix for his services.

13. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Parsons is fine and works with the Rockets team chemistry. Howard, Parsons, and others behind the scene know who really doesn't buy into the Rockets team concept, particularly defense, and absorbs a huge chunk of cap space. I think you replace Harden with better contracts such as Courtney Lee and this team still succeeds.... They've done so in Harden's absence.

14. Nook

Nook Member

I don't have a problem with the Rockets picking up Parsons' option, it is smart. I am saying that he is a better player than the columnist states.

I am 90% sure that Alexander is willing to match any offer Parsons gets as an unrestricted free agent, and thus the Rockets will pick up his option, and attempt to trade/sign a third star prior to resigning Parsons with Les going over the cap and paying the tax.

Anyone that thinks that Parsons is going to get less than $12,000,000 a year will be upset, because he is going to get that much or more.

15. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Love is an overrated 6'8 volume shooter that rebounds because nobody else on his team can. He has no impact on the Wolves as they are still a bad team. Griffin or Aldridge are superstar 4s compared to Love. Dirk is the dark horse star 4 that is worth the superstar contract as well.

16. Captain Hook

Captain Hook Member

If Les says he willing to pay luxury tax for a championship team, trading Lin and Asik right now for a third star is the only way to fix this issue and going over the cap and signing Parsons. Its a long shot but its the only way to make all sides happy.

1 person likes this.
  17. Captain Hook

Captain Hook Member

When I say right now I mean this year.

18. Stats

Stats Member

I agree. Because RFA doesn't mean riskless. Someone could easily do a poison pill offer with Parsons and completely destroy Houston's cap flexibility if we match. It doesn't even have to be a ridiculous offer. It could literally be Lin's contract of 5, 5, 15 or more.

I would pick up the option and let Parsons play out a contract year, where his incentive is to dominate.

19. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

But intangibles can't be charted.

20. Nook

Nook Member

My head is in the clouds right now, I am dealing with a cold, so I could be wrong... but I believe that the Rockets do not need to trade Lin and Asik now to use our existing cap space (which we WILL have) and then sign Parsons.

I believe that Les is willing to play a huge tax bill if the Rockets are serious championship contenders. The Rockets would trade for or sign a star (Love, etc.) and then go OVER the cap to resign their own free agent (Parsons) to a large contract. This would put the Rockets 12-14 million over the cap though... but I really believe Les would do it.