1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[SB Nation] How The Rockets Should Solve the Chandler Parsons Conundrum

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by wfeebs, Feb 11, 2014.

1. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

I'll be surprised if he doesn't get his money this summer. I think Morey knows WHO he can treat as an asset, and who deserves to be taken care of. Not only has Parsons played well beyond his contract, but he's also been a role model in the locker room, and been the most vocal in regards to Asik's handling of his demotion. If he doesn't get paid or traded I think things will get ugly, "Olympic Gold Ugly!"....:(

2. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Please, stop overrating Parsons. It's funny how people still asking for Deng when we still have parsons. I hate to be Debbie downer but somebody has to do the real talking around here when it comes to these wet inducing articles. 6 mill ball park.

3. JD88

JD88 Member

Id just ask Parsons. ..

Hey you wanna be a rocket? Ok we'll give you this much after we use the cap space to fill out the roster.

That sound good? Are you gonna leave if we do this? Or this? Cool? Yeah sounds good. Go be unrestricted and then sign with us after.

4. Matt78777

Matt78777 Contributing Member

If Les and Morey really wanted to swing for the fences they would let Parsons become an unrestricted free agent, flip Asik and Lin's contracts for a third star, and then go over the cap to match whatever Parsons gets signed for. If you think T Jones has potential to be a more productive player than Beverley (and I do), ideally that third star would be a point guard. Yes, we'd be in the luxury tax and it would cost a ton of money, but if Les is willing to do it we could have a hell of a team with Parsons and Jones being 4th and 5th best players, our bench being Beverley plus the latest round of minimum contract low cost high reward players Morey manages to plug in.

5. Fighton

Fighton Member

somebody knows what they're talking about.

6. JD88

JD88 Member

Really?

Wes Matthews
    Jeff Green
    Gordon Hayward
    Josh Smith
    Wilson Chandler

Those are the SF's (and two SGs who play SF) that average the same amount of points.

Im gonna take a guess, without looking it up, that they average about 9m a year.

So 6m a year? You need to watch more basketball.

7. cheke64

cheke64 Member

All of those have terrible contracts and one of them is not like the other.

8. rocketblood713

Yup. I think they already have an offer ready IMO but who knows

9. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

Cap space is more important. A free agency star would join DWH and Harden if we have cap space.

Once you hit free agency, only allstars/superstars are worth the market value. Everyone else will be fairly/over paid.

10. JD88

JD88 Member

So every SF contract besides Lebron, Durant, and PG is a bad contract?

Or maybe thats the going rate for a SF who averages 15-17 a game?

11. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

lol playing with Howard and Asik has lot to do with it

12. WNBA

WNBA Member

This should not even be a question.

Parsons has developed good chemistry with Lin, Harden, and Howard, which is no easy task.

No serious team would let this kind of player go. He will get paid this summer.

13. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

The Rockets should just pick up his option this off season. Why? Because of the summer of 2015. They can sign a max or near max free agent and then decide what to do about Parsons. Bird rights are a wonderful thing. Parsons next season at $1M is a complete steal.

1 person likes this.
  14. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Well that escalated quickly.

15. Hrock

Hrock Rookie

Whats the rules on offering outside deals if your offering a player a lower contract? Is it illegal if you were to tell a player you can setup deals for sponsorship so he can make up money for outside deals if he signed a lower contract for your team? Convince Parsons we need him for a championship run

16. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Purely stats driven article....cool...:rolleyes:

Anyone that actually watches the Rockets knows how important Parsons is to the teams success and what the offense looked like with him not on the court. Top 4 SF's are KD, Lebron, George and Melo. Parsons is clearly in the next tier and arguably the 5th best SF in the league.

Parsons, Iggy, Batum, Deng are all in the same group IMO. Parsons is well above average.

17. Nero

Nero Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/WrlwYvmxhKM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Didnt he also have a big one over Dwight, similar to the one over Griffin?

And LOL I had forgotten about the leathery swirly he put on McGee.. :grin:

I kind of wish he would still do more of this, I don't know if he is just focusing on other things, or his knees just don't allow it any more, or he has calmed down, or what..

I dunno, I just always had this slight fear that at any moment Parsons might just go completely berserk..

18. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

Bimas articles on Parsons are just a tad better than this, I agree with duravva that their selling CP25 short

19. mag

mag Contributing Member

Parson is a very good player but has not reached super star level.

I do think we should plan to offer between 8 and 9 million. Anything more is overpaying.

20. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

My mind was settled on Parsons after Asik was not traded. If Asik's and Lin's contracts are so onerous we can't trade them without giving a discount, that means we will not get the 3rd star until their contracts expire in 2015. That means in the summer of 2014, Morey will not add anything to the 2015 payroll. So, he'll pick up Parsons' option in 2014, spend the cap space on a big FA signing in the summer of 2015, and then use Bird rights to give Parsons a competitive bid to stay even unrestricted. Assuming we got a good third star, that third star doesn't play small forward, and Les doesn't insist on staying under the luxury tax, Parsons will likely accept.

If Morey pulls a rabbit out of his hat and trades Asik for the 3rd star, that can all change. But, I don't expect that to happen.

1 person likes this.