1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Say what you may about him, Artest is a difference-maker

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by tigermission1, Mar 15, 2006.

1. tigermission1

tigermission1 Member

He's one of a handful perimeter players in the league who truly affect the game on both ends of the court.

The Kings are ROLLING, and they just beat the Lakers to overtake them for the 7th spot.

Artest brings them some serious intensity, and he seems to have single-handedly sparked the Lakers-Kings rivalry once again.

What a great pickup by the Kings having to only give up a softy like Stojakovic for a stellar all-around player like Artest -- not to mention he's payed role-player money...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/recap?gameId=260314023

Kings move past Lakers into seventh in Western Conference

SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) -- Ron Artest is writing quite a juicy role for himself in the ever-evolving script of the West Coast's best basketball rivalry.

Artest scored 28 points while playing stellar defense on Kobe Bryant, and the revitalized Sacramento Kings rolled through the fourth quarter of their 13th straight home victory, 114-98 over the Los Angeles Lakers on Tuesday night.

Mike Bibby had 29 points and seven assists for the Kings (33-31), who have won 14 of 18 to move past the Lakers (33-32) into seventh place in the Western Conference.

From Bibby's foot-stomping 3-pointers to Bryant's icy determination, this meeting had a good portion of the intensity and excitement from the California rivals' biggest clashes of the past seven years.

But it also had Artest, who dictated play on both ends of the court in his latest revelatory performance for the Kings, who made a decisive 14-3 run in the fourth quarter. He's clearly the next main character in a story that's already featured Shaquille O'Neal, Chris Webber, Vlade Divac, Rick Fox, Jackie Christie's purse and one memorable room-service cheeseburger.

"Ron gets us going," said Bibby, who hit three of his five 3-pointers in the fourth quarter. "You always get up to play the Lakers, but Ron fighting Kobe for every bucket just makes it better."

In his final home game before his much-anticipated return to Indiana on Friday, Artest hit three of his four 3-pointers and scored 19 points in the first half. He played tireless defense against Bryant, who still got 30 points -- but had to work exceptionally hard for them.

Before Artest's first taste of the rivalry at Staples Center on Feb. 23, he promised to shut down Bryant, who probably chuckled before responding with 36 points in an easy Lakers win. But Artest wasn't in game shape yet, and his tandem with Bonzi Wells gave constant headaches to Bryant in the rematch.

"I went into this game trying not to take it too personal," Artest said. "Because I took the last game too personal, too macho-macho. ... This boosts us up to a higher level, so it's definitely good. It was good entertainment tonight."

They'll meet again on March 22 in Los Angeles -- but Artest will be hard-pressed to play a more complete game than this effort.

"Sacramento has added a player in the mix that is everything that they weren't when we played them in the playoffs," Bryant said. "The guy plays defense first, and now Sacramento has become much more aggressive on defense. I think Artest hurt us the most on offense. He had some big shots for them."

Sacramento hasn't lost at Arco Arena since Jan. 8, and not even Bryant could rally the disorganized Lakers in the fourth quarter. Lamar Odom scored 24 points for Los Angeles, but the Kings' veteran seven-man rotation handled every surge with a poise belying their short time together.

"We've put ourselves in playoff position now, we're right there," Kings coach Rick Adelman said. "There are expectations, and this is good, but there's no time to relax."

Brad Miller had 18 points and 11 rebounds, and Kenny Thomas added 14 points.

After a 2004-05 season of relative quiet while both clubs struggled, this West Coast rivalry already has become intriguing again -- even though Bryant, Bibby and both coaches are the only major players remaining from the epic 2002 Western Conference finals, won in seven games by the Lakers on the way to the NBA title.

Bryant, who scored 51 points in the Kings' thrilling overtime win over the Lakers on Jan. 19, rebounded aggressively from a dismal 8-of-29 performance in a loss to Seattle on Sunday. He was just 31-of-91 in his last three games before going 12-for-28 against the Kings.

"I think our defense was confused at times," Lakers coach Phil Jackson said. "There were some defensive lapses, and they have an experienced team, which took advantage of some of our young kids."

Artest scored 13 points in less than 4 minutes to start the second quarter, while Bryant missed six of his first seven shots. Bryant finished the first half with just nine points on 4-of-12 shooting, but hit a difficult layin as time expired at halftime, pulling Los Angeles within 54-50.

Game notes
    Lakers G Aaron McKie has been cleared to practice for the first time since tearing his left quadriceps tendon in early December. McKie, who played just 10 games before the injury in his first season with Los Angeles, put on his uniform for the first time since getting hurt so he could participate in the pregame shootaround. ... Lakers C Chris Mihm missed his first game since spraining his right ankle against Seattle. He could be out for several weeks. ... Bryant appeared to beat the third-quarter buzzer with another layup, but the basket was erased when replays showed the ball on his fingertips as the clock ran out.

2. tested911

tested911 Member

I knew it all along.. When Artest was available from Indianna, I said do whatever it takes to bring him here. Put Yao and T-mac aside I would trade anybdoy on the team for Artest. I would of traded Luther,Stromile,1st round pick and MOney for Artest.

He is one of the few guys that can bring it all in this leauge..

Rebounding,Shooting,Defense,Hustle,Block Shots. We wouldnt be in the spot right now if we had Artest..

But you know what I got in return from other posters was... Your stupid.. ARtest is a head case... We would of had a worse team with him on here.. etc... etc..

3. Texas Stoke

Texas Stoke Member

tested, who did the Rockets offer for Ron Artest?

4. tested911

tested911 Member

Thats the problem we don't know :(.. All CD said was that they tried.

But I doubt Indiana would turn down Stromile, Luther, 1st round pick, and Money..

5. Hobbs

Hobbs Member

Artest is great... until he inevitably destroys your team's chances of winning with an incredibly boneheaded move in a crucial situation.

That's the rub with Artest, he's brilliant until he explodes, but he will explode.

6. Texas Stoke

Texas Stoke Member

You think that is a better offer than Peja Stojakavich? I disagree. I don't think that comes close to the deal they made for Peja. After reading some quotes from Les regarding his pursuit of Artest, I doubt the Rockets did not offer much more than what you seem to think they offered. I think that no matter what offer the Rockets could have made, it would not beat the Peja deal. That would have been a season saving trade though. Just thinking about it...you know....

7. foodworld

foodworld Member

Um, Artest was acquired cheaply for a reason. One obvious reason: he's psycho.

8. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Yeah. I wanted Artest on the Rockets too, but we couldn't make an offer as good as the Kings. End of story.

9. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

revisit this post when the honeymoon wears off. true he can be a great player and the type of player who can help a team win championships but he is also insane. he might as well be one step away from pulling a ricky williams.

10. michecon

michecon Member

Didn't folks say the same thing with 'Sheed?

Only those take risks have a chance to win.

The Kings' owner are in gambling business, they knwo what they are doing.

11. Hobbs

Hobbs Member

Ron Artest isn't Sheed. That's a superficial only comparison. Artest will destroy his team eventually (and even if he is the same as Sheed, Sacramento isn't Detroit in terms of the stability surrounding the two players).

12. michecon

michecon Member

and you know this how?

Artest destroyed Pacer...not. They got Peja now.

13. Hobbs

Hobbs Member

The Pacers were a title contender and now they may make the playoffs. Artest sank them in 2 consecutive seasons (he killed the Pacers with an idiotic elbow to Richard Hamilton at a crucial point in game 6 two years ago and with a beyond idiotic run through the stands last season). They'll be a lovely first round and out team for a while now.

If you're asking how I know Artest will destroy Sacramento's chances, then it's because that's what he always does. If you're asking how Detroit is more stable than Sacramento, I think that's fairly evident. If you're asking how Sheed is different than Artest, then ask every teammate Sheed has had since they all love him unlike Ron's (like Jermaine--who btw loves Sheed) who were happy to see him go.

14. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

i obviously dont know but i would bet eventually sometime next season. artest will do Something that will screw up the team. in saying that i still wanted him for the rockets he is just too good.

i think i would almost want him more then ben wallace. both perfect players for this team.

15. emjohn

emjohn Member

As has been already said, the man is a timebomb. He's playing good citizen right now to endear himself to Sac and piss a little on Indiana. In a year or two, maybe less, he'll feel comfortable again and start ****ting on the franchise.

Evan

16. michecon

michecon Member

No doubt, that "run through the stands" was idiotic. But Artest gave pacer a lot for the money. Pacer is still making PO without JO.

Bottomline, taking Artest was a risk, but taking Artest for a disgruntled Peja was a risk worth taking.

17. lalala902102001

The thing about Ron-Ron is that he's a crazy person. He isn't like the good ole' Dennis Rodman who puts on a show with his acts, or Rasheed Wallace who was just immature back in his Portland days. No, Artest is simply mentally ill. The guy will self-destruct sooner or later and take down his team in the process.

18. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Bingo. Taking risk with an immature player is one thing. Taking risk with a psycho is another. Artest is more comparable to Vernon Maxwell than Rasheed or Rodman. But even Maxwell is like a choir boy comparing to Artest.

And it is precisely because he is so talented that he is so dangerous to his team. The more a "difference-maker" he is, the more the team is disrupted when he explodes. When Mad Max quit on us, it was bad but not that bad because even though he was an important piece, he's not the biggest difference-maker on the team. Now, Artest is arguably the biggest difference-maker on the Kings. When he screws up, the team will be done.

19. reggietodd

reggietodd Contributing Member

IF Artest has grown up and doesn't go awol, then the Kings are in good shape to make a serious run. He is a difference maker. Just having him out on the court, playing the type of defense he plays is huge. He is like having a Ben Wallace on the court who can also score and shoot the 3.

Kings are in good shape. So far.

20. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

amazing what winning can do
    When Rasheed was with Portland .. HE WAS A PSYCHO
    in many people's opinions. ..
    I remember reports of him and Bonzi cutting up

I think Artest will be ok

Rocket River