1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Say we want Mobley...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Two Sandwiches, Jun 23, 2021.

1. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

Me too, load up on fire power now then you can draft rim protection later on!

2. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

The more research I do, the more I want Mobley. I'd probably keep Wood, though.

Wood, Mobley, KPJ, Martin, and Tate are all solid young players to build around. With those tons of picks, you can go after more established stars.

3. Ramo$e

Ramo$e Member

Yeah I think that's what it is. When he drives it seems like he is trying really hard. Don't get me wrong, it goes in, but will it translate to the NBA? I will say this Cade/Green do make it look easier.

Roxfan4lyfe likes this.
  4. Ramo$e

Ramo$e Member

Precisely

Rudyc281 likes this.
  5. Zen Tabak

Zen Tabak Member

This is a question that could have been asked about Anthony Davis as well.

I think there is a distinction to be made between "primarily having defensive impact" and "has no offensive game".

Mobley already has a pretty solid offensive game. What he doesn't really have much of at the moment is a face up or post game, or a knockdown three point shot. But he isn't a total zero on offense like Joey Dorsey or anyone else that sucks. Mobley has handles, is already a pretty damn good passer, and has good touch. He'll have impact offensively from day one, but will not as much as he will have defensively. I don't think that should disqualify a player from consideration with a top 5 pick. Where a player's primary impact comes his rookie year is a really arbitrary measurement.

What matters is what skills the player has or doesn't have, what skills they need to improve, and whether the player is capable of becoming good enough to make them worth drafting over the other guys

6. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Mobley's offensive game is great.

If he fills out and lives up to his potential, he reminds me a bit of KG.

7. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Kiefer Gumberland?

8. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

Thinking about what we might do with Wood makes a LOT more sense than foregoing Mobley, assuming he's our top prospect and the FO thinks he's a star, because we don't think he's a good fit with Wood. If they fit together, great. If not, you maximize Wood's market value. I don't think Beal's the right play. He'll be 28 in a few days, and this team is going to need someone willing to go through another season or two of mediocrity/rebuild mode, which I don't think will interest him very much.

The only player that would intrigue me for Wood would be someone like Zach Lavine if he became available. For a young Bulls team, getting a return of Wood, EG + picks is probably more intriguing than what others might offer.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  9. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

If you have the strength yes, look at ex Rockets CP3 and Kyle Lowry for proof, both 6'0 but they have the IQ, the finishing ability, and the strength to be high-quality offensive players both in and out.

Finishing in the paint is going to be a question mark for Green, yes he's athletic as hell, but there's a reason Himadou Diallo and DJJ can't stuff it at the rim every single play - they are too skinny, and they don't have the handle. Green has to bulk up and really develop his ball-handling skills to completely fulfill his potential, because if he doesn't it will really limit his effectiveness.

Cade doesn't have those question marks due to his size, strength and ball-handling, hence him being the consensus 1st overall pick

10. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

But "Defense wins championships"

- Tonya Harding

aelliott likes this.
  11. rkh-dog

rkh-dog Member

Trae just scored 48 and 11 assists against Bucks. He is 6'1" and 165 pounds soaking wet. And he has carried them with his quickness and shooting and playmaking all year long.

ThatBoyNick likes this.
  12. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Let's say we get Green and then get this guy to be our Mobley.

fckbandwagons likes this.
  13. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

No. There’s a reason no one does this in the league. Unless Mobley shows something in his first year then you may have a case summer 22. Wood has superstar potential now who In their right mind would do this? Mobley is undersized and can’t shoot as of right now.

14. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I LIKE THIS A LOT! please something like this

I like Jaylen Green the best. But if you can get Mobley and him I would even throw in Portland or Wizard's future pick as well. Those two along with KPJ Tate and Kevin Martin will still give you a bad record next year because of sooo much youth. Then you start throwing that FA money around after Wall is gone. And a few top 10 picks down the road from the Nets. Sky is the limit lol

Milos likes this.
  15. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

He's a very special and unique player.

Elite IQ, elite ball-handling & passing, elite finishing skill and elite shooting. Curry and Trae are a very very very rare breed of superstar to be both short, skinny and nonexplosive athletes, yet are still able to dominate

rkh-dog likes this.
  16. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

The Bucks offensive efficiency was 117 in the regular season - it was only 105 against the Nets.

The Nets defensive plan worked pretty well. Their offensive plan with 140 minutes of a 1-legged Harden and 140 minutes of Kyrie instead of 5-600 minutes of both over the course of 7 games suffered accordingly. They basically had 1.5 superstars over the course of the series, and that's being generous given that Harden was about as mobile as Stromile Swift in a massage chair coming off an injury.

All the dumb worries about the Nets being too dependent on offense or not having enough basketballs entirely collapsed. Nobody will admit it, but they were just 1000% wrong. It's frankly pretty similar to the 2018 Rockets.

#76 SamFisher, Jun 23, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2021
  17. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

Bro... size and athleticism are literally 2 of his biggest strengths...

https://nbadraft.theringer.com/jalen-suggs

Like I don't even like Suggs at 2 but where did that notion come from lol a 6'4 PG with a quick 1st step and can reportedly reach the top of the backboard is Def not small nor unathletic. He surely has weaknesses but those 2 things aren't them.

18. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

If they’ll take Wall off our hands I’d do it.

19. Htown's Finest

Are you guys serious about taking this dude with the #2 pick? Maybe I'm missing it but I'm not seeing it and I definitely don't understand the KG and AD comparisons at all. Guys like this are a dime a dozen seriously, nothing at all jumps out to me. Mobley is solid fundamentally I'll give him that much but he looks like a #8 overall pick in most good drafts. Maybe this draft is overhyped because if this guy can get drafted #2 overall something is really wrong with this draft and something will be definitely wrong with Stone and the Rockets too IMO. Just not seeing it guys...

coachbadlee and fckbandwagons like this.
  20. Rocket_Man_2.0

The curse of the center #2 draft pick is real...Say no to Mobley!

coachbadlee and Htown's Finest like this.