1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Say Hello to Better Uniforms!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Jul 17, 2017.

?

new owner new uniforms

1. yes

247 vote(s)
    89.2%
  2. no

30 vote(s)
    10.8%
  1. OTMax

OTMax Member

I can live with that side panel!

2. OTMax

OTMax Member

Yes he has some nice ones and while the black one in particular looks good at first glance, there's a lot of problems with these:
    1. Logo is hideous
    2. Font is way too big
    3. Numbers too close to the Houston and Rockets letters
    4. The throwback font is not that great, that's just nostalgia talking but objectively it stinks. The one from 04-09 straight across the chest is still the best to me.
    5. That mustard colour is just ughh and the red of the road ones is leaning too much toward Cavs red and does not match the red of the home and road ones.
    6. Checkers or chest?
    7. Clutch city?

I actually like the pajamas to offset the rest.

Caesar and pippendagimp like this.
  3. OTMax

OTMax Member

I do love that font and the letters are just awesome!! The rest is just bland.

4. dream2franchise

I think you could stand to be critical about these things without verbally shi**ing on them. People do take time out to work on these and share them, and while that means they put themselves yourself up for criticism, it can be done without the tone you're putting out there.

Just a thought.

I'm guilty of the same btw. Trying to be better.

5. dream2franchise

First of two alts here.

[​IMG]

Caesar likes this.
  6. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think the design is nice, however I have great distaste for these colors because Les changed our red/yellow championship colors to something completely different

there was a discussion on ugly uniforms of all time on NBA Radio last week, the Les Alexander post championship uniforms were top 3.

7. dream2franchise

I completely respect that. I feel those jerseys are amongst the least impressive in NBA history. But...

- The logo was almost pretty awesome at the time. Save for the cartoon Rocket.
    - The colours were nice, and are still a nice combo to this day. This is an objective take.
    - I was 14 when this rebrand happened and I was amazed by it (the logo, not so much the uniforms). It inspired me to be a graphic designer in a way, especially one for uniforms and apparel. Obviously, my tastes have evolved and I can recognise the flaws but there was a chance for this to be a classic jersey in it's own right and I think it's why I keep going back to it.

There's a conversation here about rebranding and how timing is such a crucial factor in it all. When is the best time to do it? Certainly not coming off consecutive championships. I can see how it seems to represent the down slide of the Rockets teams. It feels like Hakeem's prime ended with this uniform when in fact he still had great seasons in them.

You can bury past mistakes or you can acknowledge them and see if you can learn improve on them. I went for #2.

8. DanTony!Toni!Tone!

If you flip it upside down, it looks a bit like a bloody tampon falling out of a cheesy hoohaw.

9. Caesar

Caesar Member

Loving the direction you're heading with these! Can't wait!

The blue and red alt tinman pointed out as having disdain for is perfectly fine as an alternate/pride or whatever Nike calls it now. It actually has tons of potential for a modern upgrade which will look unique in comparison to the rest of the league. I have said before Les announced the team was up for sale that i would have accepted going back to RWB brand so long as red was the primary away color instead of blue, but now that Les is selling the team, i want our true identity back. Use whatever for alternates.
    Hell, we can have green or purple alternates for all i care as long as our home and away are based on the championship uniforms. As long as those are around for the majority of games, i don't care if the Rockets wear some pink breast cancer uniform a few games in November and a black jersey for a few games for BHM or a Los Rockets mexican colored uniform a few games or a Chinese new year uniform once a year.

dream2franchise likes this.
  10. waytookrzy079

waytookrzy079 Member

The Rockets should just hire you.

11. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

justtxyank likes this.
  12. chievous minniefield

chievous minniefield Contributing Member

A thought for you to embrace or ignore...

I am a fan of when cities (like Pittsburgh or Seattle) incorporate a common color scheme for all their teams. I think it creates a great civic brand/continuity.

If you want to do a design that utilizes the (honestly, much reviled) colors of the late 90s Rockets...What if you did something that utilizes the best-looking (in my opinion) scheme this city has ever had: the blue-orange-red-yellow of the Astros.

You could use the Blue/Red from the late 90s Rockets and incorporate a bit of orange and yellow. The yellow would tie in with the traditional Rockets colors, and the orange would be a nice complementary color.

For my $, blue/orange/red/yellow is about as strong a color combination as I've seen on a Uni. Maybe even go so far as to put a little Tequila Sunrise into this imaginary Rockets alternative jersey.

Anyway, I love your designs and think you're incredibly talented. I'd absolutely support your red/yellow designs being adopted as official by the team.

Maybe this post can spur some additional creativity for you.

In my dream world, all of Houston's teams (Texans, Astros, Rockets, Dynamo) would all utilize that dark blue/orange/red/yellow scheme. I think that fits so well with NASA and the city's space-oriented heritage.

Food for thought. Would allow the fans of the Shark era and fans of the Ketchup/Mustard era to perhaps find some common ground.

AkeemTheDreem86 likes this.
  13. Caesar

Caesar Member

BTW I don't know if you're tying to do the Nike template, but they have a big triangle cut on the shorts and the back of the arm sleeve is tapered where any arm sleeve stripe is suddenly cut off. Just thought i'd note since I didn't see the cut on the shorts in your teaser.

14. Rox11

Rox11 Member

Why not stick to the font we have now? Other then that I like

15. AkeemTheDreem86

This would be my Dream.

chievous minniefield likes this.
  16. tinman

Supporting Member

Not all the sugar in the world is sweeter than Clutch City

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

17. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Trash

18. tinman

Supporting Member

Anyone who disrespects the Rockets championships should be removed from the board

BigMaloe and BHannes2BHonest like this.
  19. AkeemTheDreem86

Diamonds on the soles of her shoes!

20. tinman

Supporting Member

is what the Texans have done.

Championships are what the Rockets in RED have done. Houston Red not China Les Red.

[​IMG]

Daddy Long Legs and Caesar like this.