1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Say bye bye to 2007 first round pick?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Fegwu, Jul 11, 2006.

1. Like A Breath

Like A Breath Member

Rockets are just stupid enough to do this.

What will the team look like in 5 years? Yao and the And1 streetball team? You have to draft prospects!

2. gunn

gunn Contributing Member

It wasn't a "No Trade Clause". It was a Trade Kicker, and my understanding is that he could be traded but it would result in James being compensated extra if that were to happen.

3. anitasri

anitasri Member

With a healthy Yao and Tmac ( and even asssuming some sensless transactions- and I am betting they wont use all the Exceptions we have!)
    we are playoff bound.

Heck if Tmac came back last year we would have been Playoff bound.

So IF TMAC is healthy our First rounder is worth nothing, IF TMAC has issues- then we need more help than just the Lottery Pick! ( And Les Wont sign lottery picks!)

Trade the damn First Rounder while everyone thinks it has tremendous value.

Les is packagaing this unit for a sale.

4. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

So, a team trades a sure fire starter for an unprotected #1 which lowers expectations the pick will be high enough to make up for the missing starter??? :confused:

5. Like A Breath

Like A Breath Member

The 2007 class by all accounts is going to be one of the deepest ones ever.

What are the Rockets going to get for it? Loren Woods?

6. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

Might as well trade the 1st rounder. I mean the Rockets have a pretty poor history of drafting good players barring #1 picks. And when they finally do make a good pick they trade them away. Like I said before my family and I aren't going to get our usual basketball sattelite package to watch them next season. They'll be first round fodder assuming McGrady doesn't mess up again.

7. Fuzzybear

Fuzzybear Contributing Member

God I was going to go ahead and try one of my "positive spin" fuzzybear posts, but I think this does it for me. Not even Clutch is defending this ****, and I need to vent.

1) Everything has been handed to the Rockets on a silver platter. We had to go out and get it, but truth is, we would still be fighting to make it to the playoffs if we hadn't had Yao fall into our laps, Tmac demand to come to Houston, and Stevie demand a trade out of Vancouver. We've even had Stromile take the MLE to come to Houston over other options just to play next to Yao and Tmac, when he was in a "Mike James no one has more than the MLE" situation.

2) Now venting about the trade. Our needs are a starting 2 or a starting caliber 4 in that order. So who do we go after? A solid 3 who can slide to the 4. This would push Mcgrady to the 2 unless we are able to find another option at the SG position which happens to land in the form of...

3) Mike James. He falls back into our laps allowing us to undo a previous mistake. Because once again, he lives in Houston (our good luck again), he is willing to come back to a team that disowned him. All he wants is all we can give, as he is worth much more.

4) Now according to the "Win-Now" excuse and the "money-ball" +/- fair salary of James (which is 9+ million on 82games.com btw), we somehow unexplicably low-ball him an offer. James asks to meet him in the middle, and we don't budge after several hints of needing to be shown "love" by the organization.

5) In conclusion, we will probably still do ok this season. However, this will most likely be in spite of the organization rather than because of them.

8. Ming the Dream

Ming the Dream Contributing Member

I can't say I am shocked. If we would have balked over a 5 year deal I would have understood, but a 4 year deal?? That isn't nothing to walk away from the table with NOTHING over.............1 friggin year for God's sake. What is funny is that the FO said they wanted to get more athletic, a shooting guard, and get younger. We have not only done non of the above this off season, but have actually regressed since the off season via the trade of Gay/Swift. If you would have told me that this team couldn't have at least improved from last year with the 8th pick and the MLE from last year I would have said you were just full of doom and gloom. However, CD and Grumpy have once again raised the bar for utter incompetance. This is nothing against Shane Battier at all, but imo we have actually gotten worse since 1 minute before the draft. Unbelievable.

9. Rocketswon

Rocketswon Member

I would go crazy if this happend, I love the idea but is there any chance of us getting steve back any cance at all I would love for him to give James a schoolin cuz he deserves to be mad at Rockets not James plus he is better.

10. gunn

gunn Contributing Member

For this front office, that would be a steal. Of course, in reality they would throw in Luther Head to make the numbers work.

11. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Sure, SnT Wes - give him 75% of Stevie's salary and get Knicks out of last two years of Francis. :D

12. Panda

Panda Member

Nice post above, we are basically a playoff team because of good luck.

13. Rocketswon

Rocketswon Member

Really? there is a chance cuz at this point I can only think of Francis and if I hear a slight rumor bout it I will jump up and scream hip hip hurray cuz I James really sucks and I wish Francis could come back show him we did not need him and franchise is back in Htown. Francis the Franchise, sorry I am a big steve fan I hopw you were not just playing when you said shure I didnt read the rest got too exited.

14. ivanyy2000

ivanyy2000 Contributing Member

Repeat after me: we still have Yao and Mac, we still have Yao and Mac, we still have Yao and Mac.

To some so called Rox fans, this crap works.

15. Like A Breath

Like A Breath Member

The Rockets were a better team the day they signed T-Mac than they are now.

Sad but true. Shouldn't even be possible with a lottery pick, but here we are. Banking on V-Span to be a big contributor and trying to convince each other that Juwan Howard is a good player.

16. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

Francis's contract is like $53 mil for 3 years.
    He's not remotely worth it.

Calling Francis "Franchise" is sorta like the fat guy named Tiny.

17. tmacyao111

tmacyao111 Member

i also think we will probably trade our pick. :mad:

18. Rocketswon

Rocketswon Member

Think bout it? the return of Francis to Houston. It would be crazy how many people would go to games to see him do his thang with the exiting dunks cmon this is not just good for team its good for fans plus he is like a James only not so stuck up and with more skill and passion maybe passion on the same level but would make this team killer cuz I would love to see Kg,James,Davis go up against Yao,Steve,T-Mac.

19. rockets-#1

rockets-#1 Contributing Member

It's funny how people have turned so against CD. I remember 2 seasons ago where he had a lot of good deals for the Rockets (James, Barry, among others). And now, everyone is totally against him saying how bad he is. I remember all the love and CD appreciation threads. I'm not too happy with the offseason right now after not signing James, but I'm not gonna go turn against the Rockets and start talking crap about the GM, coach, or whoever. No, I'm not gonna flip-flop on my opinion of CD. Hopefully, the Rockets will have a good trade this offseason or something.

20. Like A Breath

Like A Breath Member

Where are they now? David Wesley, Jon Barry, Bob Sura. Either in a retirement home or another team. And that was just 2 years ago! You just proved everyone's point that the Rockets have no long term vision.