1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

saw a rocket staffer today

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by denniscd, Apr 19, 2011.

Tags:
  1. denniscd

denniscd Contributing Member

saw a rocket staffer today and he said it was a les adelman problem, not a morey adelman problem. that is why no comment from les on adelman leaving. said adelman definitely wanted to stay and coach but with more input. not a huge believer in the statistical based approach. said adelman felt suffocated by les.

2. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

I think it's a safe bet there were problems between Adelman-Alexander as well as Adelman-Morey. His comments post trade deadline suggest a division with Morey. Personally, I don't blame him. If I'm the head coach responsible for getting these guys to the playoffs, my opinion should hold a lot more weight.

3. blackistan

blackistan Member

thanks for stating the obvious

4. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

So then Morey was ok with Adelman not having input and not following a stats based approach?

5. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

6. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

I hate you, Les.

2 people like this.
  7. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I don't think there was a problem between Morey and Adelman, at least not to an extent that Morey would have wanted Adelman out. That aside, this is purely a Les decision, Morey does not have the power to decide on firing or hiring a coach. Les makes that decision.

8. J.R.

J.R. Member

Sorry , too late. Morey has already been taken out to the field and shot.

9. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Not a fun time to be around this GARM.

Everyone's frustrated with our descent into also-ran hell and looking for puppies to kick. No Rafer-style scapegoat on the team, so all the anger gets directed at Les and Morey.

It's just the nature of the beast:
    Coaches have an ingrained "win now" mindset, because they get fired if they pile up losing seasons.
    GM's have a "get better going forward" mindset, and are most interested in maximizing the team's tomorrow. They aren't in the crosshairs like the coaches.
    Owner's have an "I want it all, and I want it now" mindset, which is rarely fun for anybody that works for them.

I don't think near enough fans accept that this really was a lot about Adelman wanting out. He wants to coach a loaded playoff squad, and doesn't see that happening here anytime soon.

He wanted McGrady gone after the infamous microfracture announcement, but Alexander publicly declared that McGrady wasn't going anywhere. Rick's frustration was palpable that fall when McGrady came back trying to dictate everything again.

His frustration was evident when Yao's minute limitations were laid down, iron clad, by the med staff and backed up by the front office (of course, it turns out they were right and should have been even more limited).

I knew we were seeing the end after he (1) willfully buried Williams and (2) openly, venomously seethed about the deadline moves - Battier/Thabeet in particular.

I get the sense he felt like an office worker that kept getting slammed with new assignments and responsibilities with no pay raise and no sense of support from his boss.

I don't think Morey was in a hurry to lose him, or wants a puppet coach, but I'm sure their relationship wasn't fantastic given the trade tensions and the Adelman's apparent offense to being given Morey's stats.

As far as Les....I remain suspicious that he quit on Adelman the day Larry Brown became available.

1 person likes this.
  10. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

If Les is THAT in love with Larry Brown, then I really question his ability to win. What has Larry Brown done in the last 8+ years to merit firing Adelman and bringing him in?? We all know the guy is going to bolt as soon as things get hairy, all while crippling our cap space. If Larry Brown ends up being the next Rockets coach, I just don't see how that is going to end with anything other than disappointment.

11. Ramathorn006

Ramathorn006 Contributing Member

You know what though...this current Rockets team really reminds me of the championship Pistons teams.

Lowry - Billups
    Martin - Rip
    Closest comparison to Tayshaun is Lee, and its not really close
    Scola - Sheed (Sheed could hit the 3 though)
    Hayes - Ben Wallace (Hayes isnt much of a shot blocker but he is a great undersized defender)

I say we try and trade for Prince this offseason, hire Larry Brown for 3 seasons and see what he can do.

12. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Interesting and, I think, believable.

Even with all the reports (by Feigen, etc.) that the reason for the split is the Morey/New School vs. Adelman/Old School disconnect, I had a suspicion that story is being used as cover for a Les Alexander just firing the coach.

Morey has always praised Adelman publicly and said that what a lot of advanced stats results say in basketball is that coaches are right. Morey never came across as a "my way or the highway" kind of guy.

Les Alexander, on the other hand, has tended to come across as a bit of an irrational egomaniac. It's not like he hasn't clashed with other coaches before the whole stats operation is what it is today. Alexander clashed with JVG 4 years ago, and fired Rudy before that. And he's always chasing the next big thing-- whether it's Barkley or Pippen or Francis or McGrady.

Look, it's good to hear that the owner is trying hard to win, but at some point a revolving door of coaches and players just leave you going nowhere fast.

1 person likes this.
  13. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

I wanted Tayshaun last year, fully aware that was pushing it with his age. A year later, and now I think that's really pushing it.

That being said a Tayshaun style small forward would be nice here. Length, defense, ball-handling, play-making ability, passing,etc. I would also take a long look at Wilson Chandler if I were the Rockets. Not the all-around player Tayshaun is/was, but he is still only 24yo.

14. Rockzilla

Rockzilla Member

Yeah I call BS on this. This fake basically gave us what we already know.

15. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Good post; I agree with most of it.

I hope you're mistaken on LB, a long time favorite of mine, who has passed his 'use-by date' (imagine the trades he would 'demand' from DM the GM if LB arrived in town).

I am still favoring Elston Turner, by all accounts a great assistant and a continuity factor for players. His first HC job would mean he would be open to FO 'assistance' eschewed by his now former boss.

Oh, well - - there is an .05% chance of a Lotto miracle and there is a greater than 50-50 chance for 'amnesty' so next season's (when will that start???) roster might just get the help it needs, and we all crave.

16. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

You guys that think LB is coming here are crazy.

17. emcitymisfit

emcitymisfit Member

Calling Dennis a fake? I think everyone knows who Dennis is publicly, and he's not a random troll. He's a massive Rockets fan, and a good guy every time I've met him.

18. emcitymisfit

emcitymisfit Member

Calling Dennis a fake? I think everyone knows who Dennis is publicly, and he's not a random troll. He's a massive Rockets fan, and a good guy every time I've met him.

19. Rockzilla

Rockzilla Member

Ok he's a nice person, so? Anybody could come on here and say they meet so and so. What he "reported" to us was something that we already know and more of like a duh comment.

20. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

I'm not saying I want him, but Les was chasing him after "resigning" Rudy and Brown turned him down...JVG was second choice.

I'm not saying Larry Brown will happen...but I find it suspicious that Les/Adelman seemed to deteriorate so quickly once Brown quit the Bobcats and announced he wanted to keep coaching.