1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Saving Private Ryan is obscene

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Woofer, Nov 12, 2004.

1. Woofer

Woofer Contributing Member

at least if you use the current vague standards of the FCC where you risk $ fines if someone in the audience complains.

Some folks were saying this wasn't censorship earlier this year. Here we go. Nothing more than a silly ploy by the FCC to moralists since people can buy all the pr0n they want to and violence overwhelms the broadcast day.

http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=entertainmentNews&storyID=6790964

While the FCC declined to comment in advance of Thursday's telecast -- "that would be censorship," a spokeswoman told the Hollywood Reporter -- the agency defended the 2002 airing of film in a letter to the American Family Association, ruling that the film was neither profane nor indecent.
    http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/news/archive/2004/11/10/entertainment2054EST0808.DTL

The agency made it clear then that virtually any use of the F-word -- which is used repeatedly in "Saving Private Ryan" -- was inappropriate for over-the-air radio and television.

The Bono case "reversed years of prior policy that the context of language matters," Stone said. He added that broadcasters could not get any clarification from the FCC on whether the movie violates the standard.

2. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

man, **** kvue (abc in austin) for not showing the movie tonight. oprah and lethal weapon 3? thanks a F'ing lot. SPR is an awesome movie that i was looking forward to watching all week and then i get screwed out of it. of course, lethal weapon 3 is apparently a perfect replacement for a war movie considered too obscene.

i understand it's very graphic and they drop F bombs like, well, bombs, and i'm surprised they would play it anyway, but don't build me up to it and then pull the rug out from under me. i guess i at least got to focus on the rockets game, but that sucked also.

3. nyquil82

nyquil82 Contributing Member

The FCC seems to have some sort of allergic reaction to things that depict reality, unless of course its a "reality" show, don't even get me started on how messed up reality television is.

4. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The FCC is doing us all a favor. It's obvious that outside of terrorism the greatest threat to the stability of our nation is Janet Jackon's boob with nipple jewellery. Boy I'm sure that half a second flash of skin, permantly scarred our nations poor impressionable youth. That's forced us to take a harder look at ourselves. The best way to foster moral strength is obviously to shelter people from skin, or movies about war. Keeping those things off of TV goes a long way to help keep our morals strong.

5. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

I heard the movie is actually available for purchase in stores now.

6. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

But could you imagine the shame and embarrassment of purchsing something so obscene? What if a neighbor saw you?

7. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Speaking of the Janet Jackson Super Bowl incident......

Does anyone other than me find it ironic that this incident, which galvanized the nation over the exposure of a breast, happened in the topless bar capital of the universe, aka Houston Texas?

Life is full of irony, when you are on the lookout for it.

8. F.D. Khan

F.D. Khan Contributing Member

I think the news stations that are pulling it are just trying to get publicity as a censorship issue.

The movie actually says "F*CK" over a hundred times, and Spielberg, the Director, does not allow word edits.

It uses a lot of graphic language and that first 20 minute landing scene is just grusome. I don't know if 8 pm is a good time to show those kinds of things.

9. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

A lot of people complained about the nudity in Schindler's List when it was televised unedited.

10. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I think the FCC has a valid concern. Whether or not they should fine, given the circumstances, I don't know. I'd understand either way.

(And, I believe the decision in the Bono case was later reversed and they said it wasn't cool he did it.)

11. real_egal

real_egal Contributing Member

Is this United States of America still recognizable, as a model of freedom and democracy and prosperity? With more and more fear of doing something wrong or triggering objection from certain group or government, are people actually doing something really wrong to this country? It doesn't feel like the US before, in some situations, it looks like ... formal Soviet Union or China. Of course, just my opinion.

12. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

Houston has more than Amsterdam? Bangkok? :confused:

13. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

I heard that your'e not forced to turn on the channel if you don't want to watch.

14. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

The shower scene with Hanks and Damon is a bit much for network TV IMHO.