1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Saudi women press carmaker to pull out until driving ban lifted

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Mathloom, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I'm not sure they can keep the ban in place any longer, and the house of Saud would be REALLY smart to grant them this victory to distract them from campaigning for real changes.

For the Sauds, the trick is how to grant this but also draw the line and crush any follow-up activism while flooding the media with stories about how women can now drive - which is arbitrary in comparison to the majority of freedoms and rights that are absent. At the moment, the law creates a huge demand for drivers, and government policies ensure that supply is rampant in order to avoid discussions about how it creates financial strain on a family.

At the moment, you could probably get a driver in Saudi, on average, at $300 a month full time and it's not unusual for multiple families to share drivers.

I am impressed by the activism. There are lots of videos on youtube for this campaign, you should check them out.

How likely is any car company to support them? My personal expectation is that Hillary will likely soften her stance on the law as big American car companies are on a killer profit margin in Saudi Arabia and it's a great place to dump cars with poor fuel economy.