1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Saudi Crown Prince Sultan bin Abdulaziz al-Saud Is Dead

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by shastarocket, Oct 22, 2011.

1. shastarocket

shastarocket Member

http://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2011...rnational-us-saudi-arabia-sultan.html?_r=1&hp

According to wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nayef

2. da_juice

da_juice Member

Nayef is also 78, with high blood sugar and osteoporsis.

I think most of the royal family will die out soon. The question is, if there's no heir apparent when that happens, who will run the kingdom? Could we possibly see a civil war between wahabbis, supporters of the old regime, and new age, modernized youth?

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Good riddance !

The quicker these oligarths die off the quicker Saudi Arabia can be free.

DD

4. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Member

Another victory for Obama!

5. Nook

Nook Member

Bitter ALL THE TIME....

6. cml750

cml750 Member

Will they be free? It sure seems like all the Islamic countries end up being led by dictators. I am really curious about what will happen in Iraq once the USA withdraws troops. It wouldn't surprise me if they end up with another dictator. I really hope that the Arab spring will lead to true democracies in the middles east however their track record suggest different.

7. Kam

Kam Member

There is only one solution.

Annex Saudi Arabia.

KK

2 people like this.
  8. cml750

cml750 Member

If an anti-American dictator took charge of the country, we would be in trouble. ;) LOL

9. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Member

Abdulaziz was crazy as well. The guy had alzheimers and was about to become the king. He was conservative as well. In fact almost everyone is conservative in the royal family. That's why (among other reasons) why King Abdullah struggles to get anything done. Abdullah's personal opinions on policy are far more liberal than the rest of the royal family. Abdullah is the one who has openly said he wants women to have the right to drive, that men and women can have co-ed education, etc..

It's only going to get worse once Abdullah moves on. Honestly its pretty terrifying if you ask me. What little progress he has been able to do might get reversed by some idiot who replaces him.

10. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

That's not true, these is a mix of both, they all have to present themselves in a conservative manner in public. Behind closed doors its quite a different story. The exception is for King Abdullah, hence his ability to speak out.

11. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

False. Freedom is further because in a monarchy, many grievances aren't carried over to new government.

12. Dei

Dei Member

Yeah. Can't Iraq just be part of the US? I don't think distance is such an issue now.

13. glynch

glynch Member

One thing for sure the USA will not allow Saudi to be a democracy unless it votes the way we want.

We have US troops there to keep the feudal king from being overthrown by his subjects according to my brother in law who spent a couple of years inSaudi training the Saudi troops. He says many of the troops hate the King and his family for hypocritically drinking, whoring and feudal style treating the treasury as their bank account.

14. cml750

cml750 Member

I don't think you are serious. Iraq being part of the US isn't an option. That would cause way too much US resentment in the region. I actually have no problems with the US pulling out of Iraq because we can't afford it however I hope they keep their democracy and use the power of the vote instead of the power of the sword as their true form of government. I also think we should stay out of any civil wars that happen in the middle East and only come to the aid of sovereign allies in the area who are invaded by other countries like we did in the first gulf war and/or answer for any acts of terror against us.

15. da_juice

da_juice Member

Biggest issue is that the Middle Eastern countries are carved with little to no regard on tribe or ethnicity (same in africa). This was done on purpose, so as there was no big middle ast empire that could interfere and fight European's dominance (the Ottoman empire, for example, gave Europeans fits into it fell). Because this is the case, and resentment runs deep, there's a tendency to try to seize power to make sure your ethnic rival isn't running your country.