1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Saudi Arabia to lower oil prices, the houston boom is over

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by da1, Oct 13, 2014.

1. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

I do think we are at the breakpoint of the carbon economy, the worldwide trend will be toward renewables as the public perception of climate change comes to the forefront and energy companies quit their lobbying and PR campaigns to obfuscate the facts of the effects and their complicity. But 100 years of infrastructure isn't going away quickly, we have maybe 20 years more of dependency and another 20 of transition after that. (numbers from out of my ass). There is probably no good replacement for the energy density and portability of oil and gas for transportation on the horizon. I'd assume trucks and ships will be burning oil 50 years from now. I'd assume we will be burning gas for electricity for 50 years.

So it's not like Houston and O&G are going away. We have had a couple of booms and busts just in my lifetime.

2. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

I am no expert in any of this, but I do work for a power generation company (albeit in a support role) and I'd assume even longer for natural gas burning powergen.

About 40% (and growing) of US output (mWh) is from natural gas fired turbines and they are becoming even more efficient. Coal and Nuclear should continue should see a slow but steady decline IMO as they have been doing and I would expect renewables to continue to take over some of that market share.

If I were to guess, in 50 years I'd say 50% natural gas, 20% wind and other renewables, 15% coal, 15% other

3. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Petroleum is one of the most energy dense materials we have. I am not sure it is going away. At least for houston's sake I hope it doesn't.

4. Tenchi

Tenchi Contributing Member

I don't think it would be going way since its so cheap right now there's not a lot of incentive to go to an alternative even with the Paris accords. It's interesting how oil effects other things such as recycling plants since its cheaper now to make new plastic than it is to recycle.

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Bring on Solar - let's get off the crappy Middle' East's teets.

DD

6. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

i think people would be blown away if you could even just a glimpse at things in 50 years.

in my opinion wind and solar etc etc will be a LOT higher than 20% by that time.

7. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

KBR being hit up

8. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

BP Laying off another 4k jobs.

And last I checked oil was down to $30.29 (WTI). That psychological breaking point will probably hit some time this week (sub 30's). See what happens then.

Ironically, I'm in the midst of trying to change jobs, and probably heading to another energy company. Tried getting out, but couldn't find an accounting job at a non-energy place. But, pay and hours should be better and if I get lucky enough to be there on the rebound, it could be a good thing financially.

Company I'm at just let go some executives and are basically shutting down half of their operations, so it can't be worse than that.

1 person likes this.
  9. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

10. BleedsRocketRed

Welp, it fell below 30 bucks today but came up a little. Crazy how it has fallen. Hope all in the O & G are ok

11. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Welcome to the Jungle

Watch it bring you to your knnnn knnnnn knnnn knnnnn knnn knn knees

12. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Ready for the House prices to drop some more....after being so inflated.

13. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

If oil stays at 30 dollars only the middle east countries will make money. Productions costs are too high in the rest of the world. I think saudi is going to win. Once all investors have lost their shirts saudi will turn up the prices and the investors who have lost everything will be too scared to invest again.

14. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

NOW there's an issue.

15. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I've been hearing this for two years, but my property taxes keep going up. I'm ready for this supposed price drop.

16. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

at what point do the saudis start losing money?

17. mrm32

mrm32 Member

When all of the oil is gone?

18. JeeberD

JeeberD Contributing Member

19. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

20. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

The Saudis cost to produce a barrel of oil is around $10-20. What can start to hurt them besides that is that their people might start rebelling like the rest of the middle east once the perks stop flowing in because they can't afford to fund them anymore. It's been pretty quiet there since most are living really well thanks to the oil revenue perks.