1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Saudi Arabia to lower oil prices, the houston boom is over

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by da1, Oct 13, 2014.

1. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Anyone watching crude prices? It's broken its consolidation range and now at multi month lows and possible we can hit the yearly lows of 42/barrel shortly.

2. dmoneybangbang

Most of the world is urbanizaing into large megacities today, not tomorrow.

Where are the EV cars going to get their electricity? Coal will still be a major form of energy for the forseeable future. Developing countries need cheap energy.

3. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

Solar is getting exponentially cheaper.. and installing is much simpler than running a whole power plant.. a big plug for developing nation

Baseload power can still come from combustion but batteries and renewables will fill in the grid. Not more fossil fuel

The EV cars are here, today. Tomorrow they will be even better

4. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

I assumed it was created to consolidate commissions that had been regulating natural gas, power and oil exploration for 75 years before then. I believe you have some other stories about how Martin Luther King slept with white women and there are no other federal holidays named after a person.

5. dmoneybangbang

Don't necessarily disagree with you, I think it's naive to think oil prices won't reach $100 like you said earlier. We haven't crossed that imaginary line yet.
    Oil still has a pretty big advantage with energy storage compared EVs, which I have no doubt will dwindle once batteries reach the point that EVs become an economy car. Personally, I'm betting nat gas to replace coal.

6. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

There is nothing naive about this. Lots of people in the industry feel the same way (barring a catastrophic or major geopolitical event).

7. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Then what is it?

8. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

DOE handles all of our nuclear programs - both civilian and military (yes all of our nukes). It also is the number one gov't funder of research in the country. Conservation is one of many many many many things it does.

9. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

losers in suits who think they can run the world by printing money and loaning it to everyone

10. Major

Major Member

FWIW, a few years ago, no one in the oil industry was predicting $50 prices today.

11. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

much easier to be realistic of the situation when times are tough.. bc it forces us to

at $100 no one could foresee Saudi meddling or would even stop to think about alternatives that could reduce the demand of oil

and of course tech is exponential.. things that didnt exist then do today

12. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

13. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Why is wheat skyrocketing?

14. dmoneybangbang

I guess we talk to different people. Considering a good chunk of production comes in geopolitically unstable places and we still have billions of people trying to modernize, it is pretty naive to think it can't happen again.

Saudi didn't meddle, we just became the biggest producer in the world while global demand slowed. Supply and demand can be a cruel mistress.

15. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

When n***as gotta eat that's when **** get greeazy

16. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Technip laying off 6,000.

I never say never..and usually when people say things like "never" or "always" it's time to bet the other direction. But I have a difficult time seeing anything but depressed prices for oil for the foreseeable future.

17. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

My cousin used to work there. Even with $100 plus oil prices, he said that company got run like crap so he ended up going to Ensco.

18. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Just read if the Iran deal works they have 40 million barrels stored on ships and the capacity to add 700,000 barrels a day to the world market. Another 3% of the total demand, I think, about the same as the Eagle Ford and we know what that did to oil prices.

I wonder why they aren't just selling it to China, price issues? everybody has price issues now.

19. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Tesla CTO &amp; co-founder JB Straubel envisions a world where low cost batteries change everything <a href="http://t.co/iNVZlc7EFC">http://t.co/iNVZlc7EFC</a></p>&mdash; Katie Fehrenbacher (@katiefehren) <a href="https://twitter.com/katiefehren/status/620810244566810625">July 14, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Exactly what we were thinking. Forget oil ;) <a href="http://t.co/1byiEdJE8b">pic.twitter.com/1byiEdJE8b</a></p>&mdash; Tesla Motors (@TeslaMotors) <a href="https://twitter.com/TeslaMotors/status/620984416114839553">July 14, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

20. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

there is no such thing as done with oil. #polluteforever