1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Saturday Night Live [2/4]

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ima_drummer2k, Feb 4, 2006.

1. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Member

Wow, Steve Martin and Prince.

This is the first time in a long time I've been able to watch the show without it being a repeat. This looks like it may be a good show.

2. Zac D

Zac D Member

I like it so far.

3. weakfromtoday

weakfromtoday Member
    Supporting Member

Wow, that first Prince performance was awesome.

4. Oski2005

Oski2005 Member

Steve Martin opening was great (He finds out Alec Baldwin is about to tie his hosting record, so he kills him and tosses his body out a window). The whole show has been good so far and Prince tore it up. I was worried he was going to lead off with that "Te Amo Corazon" or whatever song. I guess that will be the 2nd song, but I'm iTunesing the song he just played.

5. VesceySux

VesceySux Member

Awful. Why do I even watch?

6. Yonkers

Yonkers Member

Not sure why people are saying it was good. I thought the sketches were horrible. A lot of the jokes were overplayed like 5-6 times. Yeah yeah, I get it... the camera zooms in to be dramatic. Yeah yeah, I get it... he really wants to be part of the surfer crowd.
    The funniest skit was the short film entitled The Tangent, where the guy talks and talks.

7. codell

codell Member

Steve Martin looks like hes had some major work done.

8. Faos

Faos Member

Other than the opening bit and Prince, I thought the show was pretty lame. Even The Prince Show wasn't as good this week. I thought for sure the real Prince would have been involved.

Pregnancy has done Mya Rudolph well...got milk? :eek:

9. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Where can I find a list of skits. The wife and I were crying at a later one, but we were a bit-how do I put this?-****ed up, so we don't remember which skit it was. :)

EDIT: For some reason, the Aaron Neville skit got to us.

10. Faos

Faos Member

Thinking back, I thought the "Bear holding a heart" commercial was hilarious. It reminded me of those Vermont Teddy Bear commercials that 610 spouts. I can't imagine a grown woman really wanting a teddy bear for a gift. Maybe if the bear is holding a diamond.

11. VesceySux

VesceySux Member

Seriously. If you're gonna do the Prince Show, and Prince happens to be your musical talent, work him into the f***ing skit. That's what SNL does best. Talk about a blown opportunity.

The Tangent digital short was great. Reminded me of a live-action Robert Smigel cartoon. Other than that, good host, terrible skits.

12. Uprising

Uprising Member

I thought it might be good with Steve Martin, but man. I was wrong that was lame.

SNL really needs to fire just about everyone on it and bring in a new group. Those people suck. Definetly one of the "rebuilding stages" for SNL.

13. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I'm guessing SNL asked him and he declined. No way they didn't think of that.

14. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Member
    Supporting Member

Weekend update was hilarious! I also liked the $500 raise. I am going to try and watch SNL regularly.

15. Zac D

Zac D Member

That's not really "overplaying" the joke... that IS the joke.

16. Nick

Nick Member

People have been saying they've been "rebuilding" since Carvey, Myers, and Hartmann left.

And yet, they've produced a pretty major star every 5 years or so (Ferrell, Fallon), they've had the best weekend update run in their history, and they're still spot-on with their political satire (Crossfire, Bush).

These digital shorts they're doing are pretty freakin awesome (culminated by the chronicles of narnia rap). Hell, they could probably put together a successful show just by doing all those... forget this "live" stuff, give me a skit that makes people laugh, and I'll gladly forgoe the effort of somebody trying to perform it live.

17. Yonkers

Yonkers Member

Yeah, I forgot about that one. I did crack up on that. Especially when he startd singing A-E-I-O-U.

And yes, Maya Rudolph sure is stacked now.

18. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Member

People still watch SNL? It's been horrible for years now.

19. Nick

Nick Member

Its still worth a TIVO... and if you look at the majority of the crap that's on network television, SNL doesn't look that bad in comparison.

20. Uprising

Uprising Member

yeah, but they always had stand out comedians who were funny as hell. There was always atleast one character I always looked forward to watching in a skit. That just doesn't exist for me anymore. The only guy that even cracks me up now, rarely, is Chris Parnell.

That last group of funny characters I can remmeber was during the Cheri Oteri, Will Ferrel, Chris Katan etc. time.