1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Satanist Want Statue Besides 10 Commandments in OK

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by rocketsjudoka, Dec 8, 2013.

1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Member
    Supporting Member

If public displays of religion on state grounds are accepted the all religions should be allowed to. I hope this group get's their statue but I won't be surprised if OK officials reject it on grounds of taste or some other reason.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/201...dments-monument-at-oklahoma-legislature?lite=

Satanists want statue beside Ten Commandments monument at Oklahoma Legislature

OKLAHOMA CITY -- In their zeal to tout their faith in the public square, conservatives in Oklahoma may have unwittingly opened the door to a wide range of religious groups, including satanists who are seeking to put their own statue next to a Ten Commandments monument on the Statehouse steps.

The Republican-controlled Legislature in this state known as the buckle of the Bible Belt authorized the privately funded Ten Commandments monument in 2009, and it was placed on the Capitol grounds last year despite criticism from legal experts who questioned its constitutionality. The Oklahoma chapter of the American Civil Liberties Union has filed a lawsuit seeking its removal.

But the New York-based Satanic Temple saw an opportunity. It notified the state's Capitol Preservation Commission that it wants to donate a monument and plans to submit one of several possible designs this month, said Lucien Greaves, a spokesman for the temple.

"We believe that all monuments should be in good taste and consistent with community standards," Greaves wrote in letter to state officials. "Our proposed monument, as an homage to the historic/literary Satan, will certainly abide by these guidelines."

Greaves said one potential design involves a pentagram, a satanic symbol, while another is meant to be an interactive display for children. He said he expects the monument, if approved by Oklahoma officials, would cost about $20,000.

Rep. Mike Ritze, R-Broken Arrow, who spearheaded the push for the Ten Commandments monument and whose family helped pay the $10,000 for its construction, declined to comment on the Satanic Temple's effort, but Greaves credited Ritze for opening the door to the group's proposal.

"He's helping a satanic agenda grow more than any of us possibly could," Greaves said. "You don't walk around and see too many satanic temples around, but when you open the door to public spaces for us, that's when you're going to see us."

The Oklahoma Legislature has taken other steps that many believe blur the line that divides church and state. The House speaker said he wants to build a chapel inside the Capitol to celebrate Oklahoma's "Judeo-Christian heritage." Several lawmakers have said they want to allow nativity scenes and other religious-themed symbols in public schools.

Rep. Bobby Cleveland, who plans to introduce a one such bill next year, said many Christians feel they are under attack as a result of political correctness. He dismissed the notion of Satanists erecting a monument at the Capitol.

"I think these Satanists are a different group," Cleveland, R-Slaughterville, said. "You put them under the nut category."

Brady Henderson, legal director for ACLU Oklahoma, said if state officials allow one type of religious expression, they must allow alternative forms of expression, although he said a better solution might be to allow none at all on state property.

"We would prefer to see Oklahoma's government officials work to faithfully serve our communities and improve the lives of Oklahomans instead of erecting granite monuments to show us all how righteous they are," Henderson said.

"But if the Ten Commandments, with its overtly Christian message, is allowed to stay at the Capitol, the Satanic Temple's proposed monument cannot be rejected because of its different religious viewpoint."

2. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I put them both under the nut category.

3. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Yeah, I didn't think anyone with a local home address was behind this, that's Molotov and rope time.

4. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

I want to see a kid's interactive satanic symbol.

5. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Member

Happened in Tennessee, but on a more humorous scale...

[​IMG]

6. mtbrays

mtbrays Member
    Supporting Member

I demand a fully-stocked pasta bar with all types of sauce.

7. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Oh, SATANISTS! I thought it said Stalinists, I was worried for a second.

8. glynch

glynch Member

Oklahoma deserves this. I would propose a consitutional amendment for Oklahoma that the Consitution of the United States is the supreme law of the country and their state and not the Bible.

9. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Member

10. Hmm

Hmm Member

Yes, because as we all know, all the major religions were established on a foundation of facts... naturally leaving any alternatives as mere products of a delusional mind......

Damn humanity you scary!

11. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Member

Lucien Greaves. lol. Conservative dude should have made up a cool name too. Dudley Dooright was taken I guess.

12. what

what Member

I think they would remove the other statue before they allow a satan statue to go up.

13. bongman

bongman Member

I believe that was the point. There seems to be a misconception that the movement against having religious symbolism in government buildings were an attack to religious freedoms. The truth is actually opposite of that.

This is exactly what the movement was trying to say. If you allow one religion, you will need to allow everybody and it becomes a nasty mess. The same goes with prayers in class, if they keep allowing that, in the future, you will have kids sacrificing animals in the middle of the class.

14. CCorn

CCorn Member

That's hilarious.

15. da_juice

da_juice Member

For the record, you can actually pray in class. Before I was an atheist I would say a silent prayer before test, and we had muslim kids who would pray towards Mecca when they had to.

You just can't have a teacher or principal lead a prayer in public school.

16. Buck Turgidson

Meanwhile in Florida...

TALLAHASSEE —A nearly 6-foot-tall "Festivus" pole made from empty beer cans will be put up in the Florida Capitol this week as a not-so-subtle protest to the recent placement of a Christmas nativity scene.
    "I still chuckle, I literally can't believe there will be a pile of Pabst Blue Ribbon cans in the state rotunda," said Chaz Stevens, a Deerfield Beach resident who applied to the state Department of Management Services to put the Festivus pole on display.
    Festivus purists may favor a more-simple unadorned aluminum pole, but Stevens said the use of beer cans is in line with the irreverent spirit of those who celebrate the holiday.
    Pam Olsen, president of the Florida Prayer Network, said last week that such displays only "shine more light" on her group's message that she said isn't to be viewed as a state-sponsorship of religion. "It's their right, they have a right to exercise freedom of speech, that's what America is about," Olsen said. "It doesn't faze me, it doesn't faze the God I serve."

http://touch.orlandosentinel.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-78486850/

17. smr6

smr6 Member

There's Satanists in Oklahoma?

Seems like everyone I meet here is a pretty open Chistian. I've only lived here a year though.

18. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Get out while you can.

1 person likes this.
  19. smr6

smr6 Member

The group has submitted their statue design.

http://news.yahoo.com/group-unveils-satan-statue-design-oklahoma-224102124.html

[​IMG]

What I find most annoying about this is that this isn't some Oklahoma based group trying to do this, ths is a group from New York. Let the people of Oklahoma speak for themselves, if there is a group of Satanists here that want a statue then let them figure it out.

20. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

**** that, much rather have no religious statues then that thing ^

The meatball and spaghetti statue is funny though.