1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

SAR to Kings: 1yr/$5MM

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by apostolic3, Aug 12, 2005.

1. apostolic3

apostolic3 Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2132889

The Sacramento Kings signed forward Shareef Abdur-Rahim on Friday, three days after a deal sending him from Portland to New Jersey fell through.

The Nets rescinded their trade with the Trail Blazers on Tuesday, claiming the nine-year veteran's right knee had failed physical exams. The Kings wasted no time reasserting their interest in Abdur-Rahim, quickly closing what's believed to be a one-year deal for the NBA's midlevel salary cap exception, worth about $5 million.

Abdur-Rahim has averaged 19.9 points and 8.1 rebounds in a career with Vancouver, Atlanta and Portland. The veteran forward has never reached the playoffs -- but that seems likely to change with the Kings, who added him to a starting lineup that now could be one of the NBA's strongest.

Geoff Petrie, the Kings' president of basketball operations, moved swiftly to complete the latest move in his yearlong makeover of the franchise, which has parted ways with Chris Webber, Vlade Divac, Doug Christie, Cuttino Mobley and Bobby Jackson since last summer. With Abdur-Rahim in town, Maurice Evans and Darius Songaila now are likely to leave as free agents.

Sacramento acquired high-scoring guard Bonzi Wells in a trade with Memphis last week, and the Kings picked up guard Francisco Garcia in the draft. Abdur-Rahim joins a projected starting lineup with Wells, Mike Bibby, Peja Stojakovic and Brad Miller, along with Kenny Thomas, Corliss Williamson, Brian Skinner and new signees Jason Hart and Jamal Sampson on the bench.

While Abdur-Rahim visited his list of potential new teams in recent weeks, he said the Kings were among his top two choices. His wife is from the San Francisco Bay area, about 90 miles west, and he played one collegiate season at California.

2. micah1j

micah1j Member

I guess he wants to do it all over again next off season. ;)

3. lytruc

lytruc Contributing Member

Hmmm... Younger and more athletic. Fits our offseason motto.

4. Gutter Snipe

Gutter Snipe Contributing Member

Yep! And you know what that means - stat whoring and ball hogging. I don't think this will mesh well with Sacramento's offense. I'm not a big fan of Chris Webber, but Sactown has come a long way down from the days of Vlade and Webber playing the two man game.

5. apostolic3

apostolic3 Member

Checking the Kingsfans chatboard, a radio station in Sactown is reporting the deal is 5Yrs/$29MM. May not be a one year deal after all.

6. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

Didn't sound right, 5yrs/$29M sounds more like it. Why would he sign so quickly for just a 1 yr deal. I think he makes them better and they needed him, with SAR they have a chance of making the playoffs.

7. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Who cares about SAR!!!
    Sacremento is going to get beaten like Rodney King by the Clippers!!!

The Clippers have Sam Cassell and Cuttino

Clippers=Rocket Legends!!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

poor K9. he can't catch a break in his career.

9. hitman1900

hitman1900 Member

Well, that does it, with just this signing of SAR, the Kings are contenders once again, LOL :D . Seriously, do they actually think that this makes them a better team?

10. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

B*tching about your contract every year will do that to you.

11. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

I think adding a 20 and 9 player DOES make them better. This is a GREAT pickup for Sacramento, and should keep them as a playoff team.

12. polypheus

polypheus Member

NJ make a mistake letting him go. He has never had any knee problems despite what the physical showed. Definitely a great pickyp by SAC.

13. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Well there's our athletic SG... and I would love to have Songalia on this squad... although we don't "need" him like we did before the Swift matter was settled.

14. apostolic3

apostolic3 Member

Geoff Petrie proves once again he is one of the best GMs in the NBA. If it weren't single-handedly for him, I bet the Kings would be the Clippers II.

15. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Good move for the Kings. Adds yet another asset to the team. But I have to wonder what kind of chemistry that team will have. Who is their "go to" guy? Peja? Bibby? SAR? Plus Wells, Miller, Thomas, Williamson. Will there be enough basketballs to go around?

16. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

We should go after him when CD retires. Proves the value of a Princeton education. :D

17. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

Steal of a contract, probably the best value all offseason, at least on face value. (I think Swift's could well prove better, but he is not as accomplished as SAR yet)

Sac won't be better than us, but they have a real shot at home court in the 1st round of the playoffs.

18. apostolic3

apostolic3 Member

The Kings may not be better than us next year, but they are now very dangerous. Miller, SAR, Peja, Bibby & Bonzi is an outstanding starting 5 if Adelman can get them to play together. Bonzi is the wild card. Their backups are Skinner, KT, Corliss Williamson, Jason Hart & Francisco Garcia (or Kevin Martin). That, ladies and gentlemen, is a dangerous team. The problem is they don't have a superstar (or two) that can carry them when the going gets really tough. The same problem the Mavs and Grizzlies have had. I wouldn't be surprised if this team finishes in the top 3 in the WC, maybe top 2. In the playoffs, Adelman's system of not playing defense just doesn't work and they will flame out. Of course, Peja could start playing like a man in crunch time which would make them a championship contender.

Kingsfans are pretty pumped about their team and they should be. I wouldn't be surprised is Petrie is able to pull off something else to improve them. He is worth double whatever the Maloofs are paying him.

19. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

Depending on final roster moves by Dallas or Seattle, I'd strongly considered picking the Kings as the 2nd seed in the West and 3rd overall record behind the Rockets and Spurs.

Bibby is still an excellent playoff player and leader, they have an improved starting 5 in talent and a fair amount of depth on that team now.

20. 3814

3814 Contributing Member

this makes the kings one of my favorite teams. any team who can bring the two best VANCOUVER grizzlies of all time together is going to be a top team for me.

1. Rockets
    2. Suns (cuz of Nash)
    3. Kings