1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sandberg and Biggio

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by PhiSlammaJamma, Jan 8, 2004.

1. PhiSlammaJamma

Uh oh, Sandberg didn't get into the Hall of Fame on the first ballot. What do you think that means for Biggio who is probably considered not as good as Rhino....

2. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

Yeah, I was thinking about that. I think what helps Biggio (not that he would get in on the first ballot either), is the fact he was an all-star as a catcher and 2nd baseman. No one else has done that.

But I do believe both Ryno and Bidge will make it in eventually.

3. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

Biggio will never be a hall of famer. Maybe if 'choker as well as a nice guy' was a major prerequisite he'd get in, but as of now, no way.

4. DoitDickau

DoitDickau Contributing Member

biggio's in.

5. Severe Rockets Fan

Why because he's an Astro? What has he ever won?

6. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

are you serious???

what did ted williams ever win?? or barry bonds?? or ryne sandberg, for that matter?? or ernie banks??

you don't have to win championships to be a HOF player in the major leagues...winning championships isn't the responsiblity of one player in baseball, the way it seems to be in basketball. there are many great players who never did jack in the playoffs. and many no-name players who couldn't touch the HOF with a ten foot pole, but went nuts during the playoffs. jim leyritz, anyone?

7. DoitDickau

DoitDickau Contributing Member

no, he shouldn't be in because he's an astros. he should be in because he's one of the top 7 or 8 2nd basemen of all-time along being w/ an all star catcher.

8. redgoose

redgoose Contributing Member

If Biggio gets into the Hall of Fame it will be due to his longevity in playing the game. He won't get in because of his eye popping statistics. Biggio hit his peak in 1998 and has slowly been declining ever since. But the guy has 16 seasons under his belt and nobody can say that's an easy task.

9. meh

meh Contributing Member

Biggio should definitely be in the HOF. He might have some trouble getting in, because he played in the Astrodome and the Astros never have won anything. But Biggio was simply incredible back in the 90s. It was amazing how he and Bagwell carried the team offense for so many years when we had scrubs around them. If he had played in NY or Boston, he'd probably get in on the first ballot.

10. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm pissed that Rhyno didn't get in on his first ballot. He was my favorite player growing up. After he retired, I realized how much it was that I hated the Cubs. He was the only one keeping me tolerant of them.

11. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

This was Sandberg's second year on the ballot. However, I don't think Biggio gets in before Sandberg. If Ryno gets in, then Biggio will get in. It won't be a first ballot thing. Bagwell is the only one with a chance to get in on the first ballot. It will take Biggio at least as long as it takes Sandberg.

12. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

great post..i agree, entirely.

13. Beck

Beck Contributing Member

Sandberg not getting in is a complete joke. You can't just look at his numbers. You have to put his numbers in perspective. You have to compare him to his peers. He dominates the other second baseman in the 80's.

His numbers are comparable to Joe Morgan, who is in the HOF.

14. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

You are right, but Morgan has rings. That is the main thing that seperates him from Sandberg and Biggio. Sandberg should be in as the dominate 2B of the 80's. My guess is that he will get it in 2006. There are no good candidates that year and 2007 is stocked (Gwynn, McGwire & Ripkin). Possibly as early as 2005 with Wade Boggs being the only viable candidate.

15. PhiSlammaJamma

Hee hee. I say we let Pete Rose in with Wade Boggs. That's the year to get that over with. Two good players with problems. Nobody else will want to go in with Rose.

16. GreenVegan76

GreenVegan76 Contributing Member

If Biggio retired right now, he'd have a pretty good case for the Hall of Fame. He has a career .375 OBP, 500 doubles, 2,500 hits, four Gold Gloves, seven All-Star appearances and three top-ten MVP finishes.

According to Bill James' Win Shares method of evaluating a player's offensive and defensive contributions, Biggio is the fifth best second baseman of all-time (!). I'm not sure I'd go that far (James is a notorious Biggio backer), but he's certainly one of the best since Joe Morgan.

I'd even say that Biggio has a better case than Sandberg. Sandberg had a higher peak -- but not *that* much higher. Biggio was one of baseball's best in the mid-1990s.

Sandber's problem is that he flamed out at an early age. Biggio's career value will wind up being much greater than Sandberg's. And, really, most HOF voters are dang lazy -- they just look at career numbers anyway.

17. Greg M

Greg M Member

<pre>
    Runs Hits 2B HR SB AVG OBP SLG
    Sandberg 1318 2386 403 282 344 .285 .344 .452
    Biggio 1503 2461 517 210 389 .287 .375 .432</pre>

Biggio edges Sandberg in every category but homeruns and slugging percentage. How much closer would those power numbers be if Craig didn't play most of his career in the Dome? Additionally Biggio has made the conversion from catcher to second base to center fielder pretty flawlessly. By the time his career is over he'll have over 2500+ hits and probably 400+ SBs. Those numbers should be good enough for a leadoff man who's played difficult defensive positions.

18. bottlerocket

bottlerocket Member

Bidge is in. Is Baggie in? I think if he hits 500 career HR then he is automatic. I think he has 400+ HR right now. Hopefully his shoulder will hold up.

19. Buck Turgidson

Reverse that. Bagwell is just about a lock, Biggio not as much.

20. Severe Rockets Fan

Uhhh...batting title and last person to hit .400...homerun title and MVP multiple times, sandberg isn't in, in case you hadn't notice.
    Jeez, max, you think Biggio should be thought of in the same circumstance as those you just mentioned? That crazy. Biggio wasn't even close to the type of player those guys were, if you think so you're nuts.