1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can former Rocket Eric Gordon and the Suns bounce back against the Timberwolves? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

San Diego is burning!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by redao, Oct 22, 2007.

Tags:
  1. redao

redao Member

the worst wildfire ever. There is no air here, only smoke and ash.

Anyone else is from San Diego?

Wish you best luck!

2. deekay209

deekay209 Contributing Member

I'm in Oceanside...they let us off work in case we need evac. We could get evacuated anywhere from today to tomorrow. The fire in Escondido looks like it's gonna spread here pretty soon.

3. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

Yeah I live here, and I could see the fire burning last night in the distance. Looks like we may luck out and have the fire go to the South of us.

I always argue with people saying I'm less nervous in Texas dealing with Hurricanes because I know they are coming. These Fires start and move throughout the city within 24 hours. Not to mention the fact that you never know when a big earthquake is coming.

I'll take hurricanes over this crap any day.

4. redao

redao Member

I just walked from parking lot to my office and my lung is still hurting. I think I breathed in some smoke.....I am in La Jolla. My boss told us to leave but I don't want to go back to that parking lot again.....

If there is some major wind tonight, I think San Diego is gone by tomorrow......no joking.

5. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071022...s&printer=1;_ylt=Aug2BGY0rlcjo_6s_i6DCbUN97QF
    LT among wildfire evacuees in San Diego

By BERNIE WILSON, AP Sports Writer 57 minutes ago

Reigning NFL MVP LaDainian Tomlinson was among several San Diego Chargers players, coaches and staff members who had to evacuate their homes as wildfires burned in San Diego County.

The Chargers, who had just returned from their bye weekend, canceled practice Monday. Players were dismissed so they could take care of their families and because the air quality was poor due to smoke, spokesman Bill Johnston said.

As of late Monday morning, wildfires fanned by fierce desert winds forced the evacuations of nearly 250,000 people in the county.

There was no immediate word if any Chargers employees had lost their homes. Many players live in Poway and other suburbs northeast of downtown San Diego.

Tomlinson couldn't immediately be reached for comment. His mother, Loreane, said from Waco, Texas, that he called at 5 a.m. PDT and told her that he and wife were looking for a hotel. "I told him to keep me posted," Loreane Tomlinson said.

Center Nick Hardwick said players were asked at a team meeting to raise their hands if they were affected, "and at one point, three-quarters of the room raised their hands. I guess a lot of guys live up there. There were some pretty long faces this morning. A lot of coaches and people upstairs have to deal with this."

Hardwick lives in Point Loma, near the Pacific Ocean.

"It's pretty humbling, for sure," Hardwick said. "You've got guys with families dealing with real situations. You don't normally expect that coming to work. Normally, the worst-case scenario is when you miss a block or something, but if your house is burning down and you have to get your family out of the city, that's a different issue."

Hardwick said players heard there was a chance the team would practice at an out-of-town site, but nothing had been confirmed.

Johnston said it was too early to know if the fires will affect Sunday's scheduled home game against the Houston Texans at Qualcomm Stadium, where the parking lot was being used as an evacuation center.

Four years ago to the week, the Chargers had to move a home Monday night game to Phoenix on short notice because the Qualcomm parking lot was being used as an evacuation center during deadly wildfires.

Tomlinson's business manager, Lamar Andrews, said he checked on the player at 5 a.m. and he and his wife had already left their home. Andrews said two other players he represents, safety Marlon McCree and linebacker Matt Wilhelm, also evacuated their homes.

6. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

i've got family over. gonna give them a call to see if they are okay.

7. YallMean

YallMean Member

I am in OC, but our headquarter is in Rancho Bernardo. It's pretty bad down there. It's that time of the year again here in SoCal.

8. RocketManJosh

Ugh ... Voluntary evacuations are happening a few miles away from me. Guess that means I might not be too far away.

9. deekay209

deekay209 Contributing Member

It's getting pretty crazy...I heard stories over the radio about cars catching fire trying to evacuate.

10. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Everyone be safe, if you must, evacuate. You can always get insurance to pay for the home later.

11. Fatty FatBastard

Somewhere, Jim Rome is appreciating the irony.

12. madmonkey37

madmonkey37 Contributing Member

Im about a 100 feet south of the mandatory evacuation zone. Just a matter of time before I'm going to get kicked out of my home. With the forecast showing the wind not dying down till tomorrow, the fires have a good chance burning all the way to the the coast.

[​IMG]

13. RocketManJosh

They showed video on the news here with a teenager and his dad standing on their roof with a freaking garden hose and a fire burning a couple blocks away. Some people just don't get it.

14. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Me too. One of many reasons I moved back. :)

15. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

i know they are a few SD guys, sunsrocketsfan, scyman RAID was from there but recently moved further east of SD.

dang its worse than i thought i live about 20-25 miles south of the malibu fires and i thought those were bad.

i hope all of you guys in SD are doing all right.

16. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Wow, that map puts things into perspective!

This better not mess up LT's start for FF this week!

17. redao

redao Member

Another fire map:

[​IMG]

18. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Already reports of civilian casualties from stunts like this.

These kinds of fires make experienced firefighters sweat big time. Don't be foolish... get out of the way.

Realistically, there's not much to be done until the winds die down except try to keep the fire from spreading home-to-home... and it sounds like a bunch of homes will be consumed by the end of the day.

19. DOMINATOR

DOMINATOR Member

[​IMG]
    found it on web

20. DOMINATOR

DOMINATOR Member

oops my bad thats actually from the 2003 fires ^^^^^