1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

San Antonio and Denver Might be Ripe For Picking

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Old Man Rock, Apr 5, 2013.

1. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Okay as I sit here surfing the net after watching some old Kentucky video on T Jones. I started reading how Gallinari likely tore his ACl and is probably done this year. Not wishing this on him or anyone but the result could mean both SA and Denver will be weakened going into the playoffs.

And considering it is possible San Antonio and Denver will be the 2nd and 3rd seeds respectively.... If we finish 7th seed or higher we will play the second or third seed in the first round. With Manu possibly out for San Antonio and Gallinari and maybe even Lawson out for the Nuggets. We could possibly be facing one of those teams in the first round and if we get past them the other in the second.

Not saying that we can beat them but I definitely think our chances are better under these circumstances. Of course Denver could easily drop and Memphis overtake them or the Clips could win out anything is possible. Just thinking this morning about the playoffs and how Terrence Jones has made me more optimistic.

2. TheBornLoser

TheBornLoser Contributing Member

What happened to Denver and San Antonio is exactly why the first and last wish I would have for any Rockets season, playoffs and all, is that our team stays healthy!

Where the playoffs are concerned, as long as the team does its best against the team they are slotted to play with..... I am satisfied. Denver and San Antonio, even without their key injured players, are still very strong teams to reckon with.

This is a learning and experience gathering moment for them young Rockets.

3. hubeijames

hubeijames Member

This will an unpopular thread because of jinx whiners, but you're right. Gallinari was our cryptonite in Denver. We have proven we are competitive against the Spurs even if they are healthy and can beat them if they aren't in top shape. Hopefully we avoid OKC.

4. kuku

kuku Contributing Member

I would give a pretty good chance (40%) upsetting either one of the teams. If we play Thunder the first round, maybe 15%. Any team could enter the playoffs peaked and upset or beat any other team.

Gallo is one of Nuggets' key pieces, along w/ Lawson. Sad to hear he mightve torn his ACL but great for the Rockets IF we move up to the 6th seed.

I dont believe we have truly peaked any time this season. Rockets are a team w/ rosterful of easy going, egoless, and inexperienced players. They jelled easily together. We are due for a streak!

We are a better team than our W-L record. By all indication, this is a 50-win team. We over-achieved by exepectation but yet under-achieved by results.

All year long, most of the top teams all have hot streaks. I believe Nuggets have shot their wad, sort of speak. Now they, along with Spurs, are on a downward trend.

Will they recover on time for their first round matchups? We will soon find out!

5. ahhh

ahhh Member

Too optimistic. The season's almost over and we still don't have a rotation figured out. Our PFs are unproven fillers. Most importantly, Harden and Lin still haven't learned to maximize their talents at the same time. Our bench sucks. Omer may become a liability if teams choose to hack him.

I do think we underachieved this season given the style we play, because it causes so many problems. But we've over achieved given our talents. Out of the 10 cheapest NBA teams, only the Rockets have a winning record.

6. kuku

kuku Contributing Member

Salary doesn't reflect on talents. Does $100 million roster equate to $100 million of talents? Of course not. Just look at Nets and Lakers.

This is what Moreyball is all about. Players like Parsons, Harden, and Asik outperform their contracts. Even we are at $50 million, we have talents valued at least $70 million. And don't forget Harden salary this season is at 5 mil/year. His max contract hasnt fully kicked in yet.

7. Sanity2disChaos

"Just thinking this morning about the playoffs and how Terrence Jones has made me more optimistic."

OP....I see you snuck your man crush for T.J in the post..HA!

8. rayrocket

rayrocket Member

We definitely can beat Dever without Lawson in playoff, Gallinari is overated and his production can be replaced.

9. lookabove

lookabove Contributing Member

Memphis and Denver are tied in record w/ Clippers one game behind. With recent injuries I'm willing to bet Denver does not hold onto the 3rd seed.

10. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

I agree 6th seed would be huge, we have a punchers chance against DEN/SAS/LAC/MEM and if OKC can take the top spot we would avoid them until the conference finals.

11. archinkent

archinkent Member

As much as I like the 6th seed, I don't see us overtaking GSW. They have been playing as well as us lately, and the rest of the schedule for both looks even. Just hope for SAS cuz there is no chance we beat OKC.

12. BraveFox

BraveFox Member

13. BraveFox

BraveFox Member

pardon me
    [​IMG]

14. amaru

amaru Member

I hate when people say this. No we are not. If we were better, our record would be better. Your record is a reflection of who you are.

15. srrm

srrm Contributing Member

Even a weakened Denver scares me for one reason: Andre Iguodala vs. James Harden - Iguodala has won every time.

Don't doubt that Iguodala won't be guarding Harden, and he has shown the ability to shut him down. If James is shut down, the Rockets are shut down. Say no to Denver

Not to mention Manimal winning the PF matchup whichever rookie or Delfino we put against him.

16. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

People like this are just plugging numbers into a formula. They never consider that their formula may not tell the whole story.

17. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Key word, "might".

18. greatpacha1

greatpacha1 Member

The two teams I fear us playing are the nuggets and spurs....

19. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

What the record shows is a team that got better as the season progressed.

20. BraveFox

BraveFox Member

what if we play without harden?:grin: