1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Samsung Nexus Prime

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ItsMyFault, Oct 4, 2011.

1. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

I'm not phone savy enough to want to do this manually. How does the official update work? Does it just download automatically?

2. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

3. BetterThanI

BetterThanI Contributing Member

Thanks Scionxa. I've never installed an update manually. Anywhere I can find some instructions?

Just curious: what phone did you get as a replacement?

4. Scionxa

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1630349

I hate XDA, but those instructions are accurate.

Currently on an old Droid Incredible while I contemplate on either an unlocked One X, or wait for the GSM Droid Razr Maxx variants to start hitting the internet.

5. Tenchi

Tenchi Contributing Member

What's wrong with XDA? Also, is there a better alternative? I usually go to XDA to check out which ROMS are out.

6. Scionxa

Overall community there is not very helpful. XDA usually has the most development going on for some devices. If you have a CDMA Nexus (Verizon), your best bet is Rootzwiki. If you have the GSM version, XDA all the way.

Even the hosts of XDATV are leaving for Rootz. (SuperUser TV)
    Sassibob, Azrienoch, and Sam Caplat.

7. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

i didnt want to start a new thread so posting here:

with the iOS 6 news today, i feel its kind of underwhelming, on top of the fact i have an iphone 4 and the biggest feature looks to be turn by turn navigation which isnt even avail to my phone.

i'm thinking of making a jump to an android device with my next upgrade if the new iphone seems just as underwhelming.

i have read that android phones tend to be buggy and that updates are sparse, and often times phones quit getting updates even provided to the phones within months.

how true are those claims? are the bugs so bad you're constantly exiting and shutting off the phone everyday to fix issues? what types of bugs are there?

how real is the no updates going to be? do a lot of operating systems get neglected and with no updates being supported ruin the phone?

just trying to get a feel for peoples experiences. any feedback is appreciated.

8. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

You don't have to shut down a phone every day to fix issues. I have the EVO 4g (original) with Cyanogenmod 7 on it for wifi tethering.

It was perfect when on the stock kernal, about once a week I had to restart it now since the unlocking of the phone and running cm7.

If you stick to the main phones, for what ever carrier you should be fine.

stay away from LG phones if you don't want to wait forever for updates.

HTC has been pretty good about it. I'm getting the new Evo this fall when my contract is up.

9. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

If you like to customize your phone, like plenty of options when choosing the hardware, and can be happy with the iteration of Android the system is running then Android could be for you. I've had phones that didn't get the latest Android OS update and it didn't really bug me.

But yes, if those things you mentioned really grind your gears then stick with Apple.

10. got em COACH

got em COACH Contributing Member

Yay for me. I have the unlocked version :grin::):grin:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

http://techcrunch.com/2012/06/21/go...-the-play-store-galaxy-nexus-to-get-it-first/

11. redefined

redefined Contributing Member

It's showing up $349.00 for me. You may want to get in contact with Google and see if you can get $50 back. I just ordered one too! This is my first Android/Google phone and am looking forward to it.

If I have the unlimited data on Tmobile, will I be able to get 4G with this phone? Also, is the Nexus better than the Galaxy s2?

12. SuperHighFly

SuperHighFly Member

13. Royals Ego

Royals Ego Member

it's almost time for a new flagship nexus phone anyway, why not wait?

14. got em COACH

got em COACH Contributing Member

Project butter really does make a difference :eek:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/afNRAOg5jUk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

15. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

i can say jellybean on this vzw nexus is buttery. not aokp or cyanogen release candidate butter, but much better. it just flows. i don't mind missing out on the features of other roms... just can't see myself putting up with seeing any launcher redrawn again knowing that it doesn't have to be that way.

:)

16. Scionxa

Came on here to say that 4.1 is smooooooth.

They changed a lot on how the kernel frequencies scale up and down. The on screen soft keys no longer cause lag!

17. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

Is there a way to get it on the verizon nexus w/o root and w/o having to lose everything? If not then i'll probably wait. I was able to get the 4.04 on there w/o root or unlocking the bootloader but I'm stuck on IMM30B. somehow I see a factory reset in my future.

18. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

Very good price on the Nexus. I'd like to have an Android device to play around with; currently I was thinking that would be the 7, though. hmm

19. Scionxa

Sorry buddy :(
    You're going to have to unlock your bootloader and root that bad boy. You won't regret it afterwards though.

I can't comment on the Verizon version as I don't have it anymore but 4.1 STOCK on the GSM version is so much smoother than AOKP, CM9, and any combination of ROM/Kernel I have tried on ICS.

Obviously ICS was a huge beta. Shouldn't come off as a surprise to anyone though. It's Google.

20. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

You just got royally screwed over buddy. Haha. Flash not supported on Android 4.1.
    http://blogs.adobe.com/flashplayer/2012/06/flash-player-and-android-update.html