1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Samsung Galaxy S IV

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ItsMyFault, Nov 20, 2012.

1. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

In my opinion, Samsung is about to bring an idea, that has been ongoing for about three or four years, full circle. When they do, I don't think the mobile world will be the same. I also think it will make Apple look even more like fools.

Samsung, who has been kind of the leaders in the large phone movement, have been pushing the limits on the "phablet" market. They first demonstrated that they were studying foldable LCD technology like three years ago (off the top of my head, could be wrong). Then, came the larger screens of the Galaxy phones, followed by the Notes.

At CES this year, they showed off more of the foldable OLEDs and their new brand (youm, I believe). In my opinion, they're soon to start coming out with phones that look like the Galaxy or Note (although probably with a smaller screen...like 4 inches, is my guess), but fold out to be an 8-inch or so tablet. Much like what they showed off at CES.

This is a brilliant move, if so. Get the world more used to big phones. Get more people switching to Samsung. Even have enough influence to get Apple to start increasing the size of their phones. Then, just as soon as half the world is saying, "Oh those phones are nice, but they're too big", come out with a (maybe slightly thicker) smaller phone that appeases these people, but folds out to be a tablet, to appease the techies. All the while, Apple is made to look like non-innovative fools that are suing you because you made a square phone with rounded edges.

2. ivenovember

ivenovember Member

I personally had not seen this in the Galaxy IV rumors before but read it in a yahoo article ( http://news.yahoo.com/samsung-galaxy-iv-may-feature-high-definition-display-175558332.html ) today.

Whole Article:

The most interesting part:
    Does anyone have any additional information on this?

3. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

4. K mf G

K mf G Contributing Member

not sure if this technology is part of the s4 but still interesting

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/sJehexDPEsE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/-k6r2HQY9Ws" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

5. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

6. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

yup... that. i still have this damn palm touchstone from 2009 stuck to my bed headboard with some sort of crazy adhesive that i can't remove. :(

haven't used the wireless charging on my droid dna. seems like more of a gimmick than anything else, imo. just not a way to handle/use the phone while it's charging unless you're sitting a desk hunched over it. no need in making a phone slightly bigger than it needs to be.

7. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

Good god this is a lot of fanboy salt.

8. ItsMyFault

I'm still waiting for Google to release the wireless charging orb for the Nexus 4. I just want that one in particular because of it's design. But I tried my Nexus 4 on a Nokia QI charger. Yeah, you can't make calls when you're charging it obviously, but I agree it's more of a gimmick, or an option for people who are lazy to plug their phone in.

9. Luckyazn

Luckyazn Contributing Member

So, is it rumor to be release mid April as some site stated?

My contract ends next month ... thinking about getting the S3 or just wait if the 4 is comin' out within 2 months

10. Tfj4

Tfj4 Member

Without a doubt, wait.

11. ItsMyFault

It's set to be announced either next month or March (March would be my guess). As far as the release date goes, it ranges from April all the way till October/Nov, depending on the carrier. Last year the GS3 took a little while to come out compared to the international version so nothing's guaranteed. But I would wait, since you're already in 2013.

12. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I wonder if an April release would have something to do with beating Apple to the punch. It's disappointing if they won't wait for Key Lime Pie.

Maybe Key Lime Pie won't be a significant upgrade and it won't matter, but rumors suggest otherwise.

13. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

I still have a Touchstone on my desk. I miss using it. It was the most awesome thing Palm invented and it amazes me that nobody has really tried to replicate it till now. You get to work, you put your phone down on the thing, it's facing you at a perfect easy-to-read angle while charging, and you don't ever have to mess with cables. Ready to go, you just pick it up. If Samsung debuts a similar charging solution for the Galaxy S IV I *will* be buying one.

1 person likes this.
  14. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

As much as it sounds like it, I don't own a Samsung and never had. I think their build quality is not that great.

15. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

Sounds promising. I love Smart Stay on the S3.

16. ItsMyFault

http://www.theverge.com/2013/2/18/4...itely-will-be-announced-on-march-14th-sources

March 14th it is.

17. Sajan

Sajan Member

doesn't the 920 have wireless charging? or is it not worth mentioning because apple hasn't announced it?

[​IMG]

18. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

19. Sajan

Sajan Member

also when will be available for purchase?

looks like the last one was announced may 2, and then preorders started early june.

i think verizon only had it in stores by mid july!

20. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

most likely all three (show design, reveal specs, and announce availability month or so later). the usual tech blogs will have some hands on time. should be plenty of vids to view that day.

1 person likes this.