1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sam Smith: Yao to LA in 3 years

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by wireonfire, May 30, 2004.

1. wireonfire

wireonfire Contributing Member

Rockets better do sth quick to become a contender.

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/sports/8801823.htm

2. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

booooooo.......

what a bunch of rigameroo.

3. olliez

olliez Contributing Member

Sigh... Fakers fans ... Bulls fans ..... odd :confused:

4. yipengzhao

yipengzhao Contributing Member

kobe and tmac playing toether? i'd pay to see that!

5. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

Im sorry, the Ostertag quote is pretty hilarious.

As for the article, lame. :rolleyes:

6. StevieFlight3

StevieFlight3 Member

how the hell does some one get payed to write this bull ****

7. Alibabayomama

Alibabayomama Member

he wants the lakers to have:

Yao
    Tmac
    Kobe

yea, right...

Shaq in the East?! HOOOOOOooooooooooo

8. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

Alright genius, so who is enough to compensate for McGrady?

Oh yes of course, how could I have forgotten? Steve Francis isn't enough so they should mortgage their entire future for the 32 year old O'Neal. Brilliant.

9. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

thecabbage so very very very true.

10. Hard Rock

Hard Rock Member

this is totally BS!

1. Lakers' not going to "sacrifice a few seasons while working to get Yao." Lakers a lottory team for "a few seasons?" ask Bryant if that's what he wants.

2. what if Yao stays here in Houston or goes somewhere else 3yr later (NY? GS? Cuban's playground?:mad: ) Lakers "sacrifice 3 years" and carries "some of Magic's bad contracts (probably Hill's $14mil+)" for Yao's one decision? yeah, Mr. Smith i'm glad for you that you're not a business man.

3. the Magic trading T-Mac (25) and the #1 pick for Shaq(32) who just asked $30mil./yr extention after he's 34? you sure this is the way they start to rebuild?

- StevieFlight3

for real :confused: :( :mad:

11. Sane

Sane Member

Sam Smith always writes up crap like this, frankly I'm sick of his baseless articles.

This is one guy that I really feel (but am not sure) writes like hell but has absolutely no sources to anything. Meaning, he pulls everything out of his ass, and he pulls out a lot of it.

12. lancet

lancet Contributing Member

Did the dude just play fantasy NBA for the Lakers? Yao, Kobe, T-Mac for Lakers? Why not add Duncan and KG as well? Wasted another 5 minutes of my life reading this crap.

13. RocketForever

RocketForever Contributing Member

I thought I would only read that kind of crap on laker**********.

14. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

What are we talking here. Steve Smith? C'mon, I mean this is Steve Smith. Not the classy hoopster Steve Smith. Not even the lousy Steven A Smith. This is Steve Smith, who makes Steven A sound suburban (compared to his column). Worse than Vecsey even. I mean, this is Steve Smith.

15. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

Smith is an idiot!

16. Launch Pad

Launch Pad Contributing Member

Wow.

So, in summary, he expects to trade away a declining O'Neal to a rebuilding team that Shaq has burned in the past for another top 5 player in McGrady and the #1 pick (because the trade would be sooo lopsided if the Magic didn't throw in the #1 also :rolleyes: ).

Simultaneously, he plans to dump enough cap space to magically sign Yao Ming in 3 years (because we all know how much Yao Ming is an attention monger ;) ) in spite of the fact that LA will have 2 max contracts in McGrady and Kobe, and probably will have picked up a bunch of bad contracts from Orlando to balance Shaq's ridiculous salary in the above trade.

Quick someone sign me up as a GM of the Lakers! Who knew building a championship contender was soooooo easy! :rolleyes:

17. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

While I agree the article is just a bunch of random thoughts, I think TMac+#1 for Shaq would be a good deal from Orlando's perspective.

Assuming Shaq stay healthy and in decent shape (this year is fine), they would be a playoff contender (in the East) immediately - they could easily put up 55+ wins for the next 3-4 years. Shaq's getting old, but he's not THAT old.

I actually think the Lakers would come out on the short end of the stick. Kobe is great...TMac is great, but they both do the same thing and the #1 pick is great, but you never know with those. The Lakers definitely get worse.

18. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

So a Laker fan wants Yao Ming? That's shocking. When you're spoiled like they've been, you become a victim of magical thinking on a regular basis. Yao isn't going anywhere and the Lakers are gonna suck after Shaq retires.

19. reptilexcq

reptilexcq Member

That article doesn't make any sense. Yao isn't going anywhere.

20. TraJ

TraJ Member

I think he has one source: the Lakers BBS.