1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Before the NBA playoffs resume Friday night, we're talking Rockets, including individual team awards. We're live NOW!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

Sam Smith Trade Speculation/Rumor: Asik or Noah?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Jun 18, 2012.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

http://www.nba.com/bulls/news/smith_120618.html

Mostly speculation other than (a) Rockets want a center, (b) Rockets have had interest in Asik, and (c) Bulls have had interest in Courtney Lee.

The Bulls are going to have some competitors for Asik, perhaps even Houston (Boston and Cleveland are also reported to be interested, probably others, too). They also have Boozer and Noah under hefty contracts and Gibson due for a raise a year from now. They probably can't keep all of them and may be better off cashing in on one of them at this point-- Boozer is not going to fetch much, but Asik (S&T), Noah and Gibson would be desirable options. Perhaps the play is to threaten to throw something substantial at Asik ($8 million/year or something) and offer the Bulls either to workout a S&T for Asik to eliminate the matching possibility, or to dare them to match a substantial offer and, if then do, offer to trade for Noah.

[rquoter] Though I’ve come up with some scenarios that could lead to a trade of Luol Deng, there remains the question of his torn wrist ligaments and whether he could even pass a trade physical. I mentioned a few weeks back a potential with the Kings, who seem like the only lottery team that could afford to wait in their long pursuit of a small forward. What seemed to be reasonable for both teams was the Bulls getting the No. 5 pick and then saving money so they could sign a guard. Afterward, some suggested the Bulls should trade Joakim Noah to the Kings, though there’s no way the Kings are giving up the pick and Tyreke Evans. And they don’t even need a center. But one team that does and has been desperately seeking one is the Rockets. The talk is they’ll make another run at Pau Gasol and maybe even get into the Dwight Howard sweepstakes whether Howard will resign with them or not. After all, maybe they figure after one season in Houston he’ll see the mosquitoes are only the size of rats compared with the size of eagles in Orlando. The Howard saga has been quiet with the Finals. But next week it figures to blow wide open again. The Rockets, meanwhile, have eyed restricted free agent Omer Asik at times. And while I’ve generally maintained keeping the bigs is a Bulls’ edge, perhaps they should look at a move with the Rockets. Though maybe the guy should be Noah. The Bulls can match offers on Asik, who basically is not worth the money the few minutes he plays as a fourth big behind Noah, Taj Gibson and Carlos Boozer. Is that a luxury the Bulls can afford with Derrick Rose out? Maybe it is. There’s talk of the Bulls trading into the lottery, though that seems unlikely with so many top small forwards said to be available, like Rudy Gay, Andre Iguodala and Danny Granger. Maybe the place to aim is the Rockets with picks Nos. 14 and 16 and word they have no intention of using both. You get a shot at a good young big at one of the picks and then maybe you land with sign and trade possibilities Kyle Lowry or Goran Dragic and Courtney Lee, the latter a longtime Bulls favorite in trade rumors. Richard Hamilton could be in the deal, which also saves some money and maybe you can land a veteran big like Marcus Camby or Sam Dalembert for a year. If the Rockets can’t get Howard or Gasol, Noah would look pretty good to them. Though you’d hate to lose his energy and what he brings. I haven’t heard any word the Bulls have interest in trading Noah. But Houston may be the place to look if they want to deal and move up in the draft. [/rquoter]

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

3. Garner

Garner Member

Good stuff.

Even if it is speculation it's a nice change of pace from 20 pages of Tyreke Evans debate.

4. arjun

arjun Member

dude why would we trade for asik when we can draft a center with one of the picks who might end up being better?

asik was very disappointing in the playoffs...and if we have to pay him 6-8 mil?..i dont get it

5. Carl Herrera

"Might" being the operative word here. The center you want may not be available where you pick and the guy pick may turn out to be Chris Mihm or Todd Fuller.

You are undervaluing Asik here. The guy is 7'1'' and mobile, a great rebounder, an elite defender both in the paint and chasing smaller guys on pick and rolls. As for playoffs, it was only a 6 game sample, and he did his job for the most part, even while starting for the injured Noash. He missed two crucial FTs, but that's mostly luck since he's basically 50/50 on those anyway.

That said, I might prefer Noah: not quite as big and strong as Asik, but still very good defensively and better shooter and passer. If the Rockes pulls off a Gasol trade, Noah would be a good complement. Maybe something like Gasol for Lowry+Scola and Noah for Dalembert+Patterson+14th pick?

6. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

I know you are a big asik fan but wouldn't u rather have noah?

7. Carl Herrera

Depends on price. And Noah may not be available.

8. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

Sign&trade Asik for Dragic instead of losing Dragic for nothing.

9. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Sam "Trader" Smith is always pure speculation, usually no better than Bleacher Report material.

And I'm not following how he thinks we can send over the #16 as part of a S&T swap of Lee/Dragic for Noah. Can't S&T until after the draft, and you can't select a pic for Chicago without knowing if Lee/Dragic even want to participate in a S&T.

10. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Call me crazy, but I'm concerned about Noah's motor if he's traded to Houston and doesn't want to come here. He's been honest enough to admit the big contract hurt his effort at times and too often he's sitting on the bench in the 4th quarter watching Asik.

The Rockets should go after Asik and avoid Noah.

11. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

You "might" prefer Noah? I have to assume this the great Herrara understatement at work. And no, that package wouldn't eat up a second minute of talk time.

Lee for Asik in a dual SnT could have legs. I'd be fine with that.

To get Noah, first you have to eat Booz' ridic contract. Then you maybe get to talk.

12. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Do not ever deny Sam Smith. Oh, what I mean is don't ever put an eye to anything that valueless writer pens (electronically or on dead trees).

13. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

Gasol is definitely on the trading block so 90% sure now the Rockets are going to after him first, then Howard and then probably Asik. Not really intrigued by him but hell no to Noah! By the way, if we have D-Mo and Patterson, why do we need another PF??

14. arjun

arjun Member

this type of Asik move would just have us keep treading the mediocrity treadmill!

15. Petey-N-Htown

Petey-N-Htown Member

I like Noah. Why wouldn't I wish him to be a Rocket?

16. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

so your saying our best move is to take gasol not noah

17. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Much. More. Realistic. Chance. MUCH MORE!

18. Crank

Crank Member

Noah is great. Lots of Energy and a defensive anchor. I don't see the Bulls trading him at all.

19. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Place pinky to corner of mouth.

Say in Dr. Evil voice:

19 miiiiiiiiiiiiiillion dollars.

20. megastahr

megastahr Contributing Member