1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sam Smith: McGrady Worth a Second Look

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by wireonfire, Dec 23, 2007.

1. wireonfire

wireonfire Contributing Member

Seven years later, is it finally time to bring Tracy McGrady to Chicago?

The Houston Rockets might not object. Remember, it was in 2000 that McGrady was the focus of the Bulls' post-championship rebuilding, but he spurned the Bulls for Orlando. Six first-round playoff exits later for McGrady between Orlando and Houston, the Rockets are stumbling amid great expectations. McGrady has been out with sore knees and sore feelings, and there are rumblings in Houston about a trade.

Lakers part-owner Magic Johnson suggested on TNT that either McGrady or Yao Ming should be traded.

"It's not working out," Johnson said. "We've seen it for all these years; they get eliminated from the first round. I thought they were going to play well together, but it's not working. One of them has to go because it's not working."

"It's just speculation," Rockets coach Rick Adelman said. "You can't be giving away your best players."

Perhaps the biggest issue with the Rockets is Adelman's philosophy to play more of an open-court style and run while McGrady's style is to play in the half-court. It could make McGrady expendable, with the Rockets internally wondering now how he fits, insiders say.

And with McGrady's injury history, the Rockets might look into this.

So is there a match for the Bulls? After all, McGrady is what the NBA calls a star, even though he never has been as far into the playoffs as Ben Gordon. McGrady makes $18.2 million this season and has about $43 million left in two seasons after this.

The Bulls could match that easily with, say, Ben Wallace and Gordon, giving the Rockets power forward protection for Yao and a shooter for their gang that can't shoot straight. Wallace could return to his natural power forward position while the Bulls get a big guard who is an All-Star.

Would that be the star the Bulls have long sought? At 28, is he still worth the price and risk? Can the Rockets get more if indeed they decide to make changes? It might be worth pursuing.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune...trade,1,3896716.story?coll=cs-bulls-headlines

It is good Tmac is still wanted, but for Big Ben (as PF???) and Gordon? No, thanks.

2. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

damn, that's a diss on Tmac.

3. matty101

matty101 Member

I agree, no thanks. How about we throw in Battier and the Bulls throw in Deng and Tyrus Thomas, and baby you have a deal :D

4. AzCkR

AzCkR Member

ben wallace sucks.

5. TheBornLoser

TheBornLoser Contributing Member

T Mac for Luol Deng and Ben Gordon. No to any others.

6. johnrox

johnrox Member

this would be in essence gordon for tmac and thomas for battier? ouch, that's a diss on tmac

7. fnn2097

fnn2097 Member

I actually think the bulls are the only realistic team the rockets can trade with. But i did not consider Ben Wallace as part of the equation. More like Gordon, Nocioni, Duhon and ty thomas. Big Ben and Gordon for T-Mac is not a good trade for the rockets. If T-Mac can't fit in with rick adelman's system, don't expect Ben Wallace to flourish.

8. tsunami

tsunami Member

I will do it if they give Rockets Hinrich + Gordon. But we don't want an older Ben.

9. Rockets4279

Rockets4279 Member

Great just what Houston needs another undersized 2 guard. Maybe they can spice the trade up because i really like Nocioni.

10. Marsarinian

Marsarinian Contributing Member

I'll take Thomas, Nocioni and Gordon for Mac and Shane.

11. YallMean

YallMean Member

No way we will allow Bulls to dump Wallace on us. Gordon+Noci+Thomas+Henric for Rafer + Tmac

12. ShadyMcGrady

ShadyMcGrady Contributing Member

Wow with all the talent and different looks Chicago can give Houston...Sam Smith comes up with Ben Wallace and Ben Gordon!?

I think we would need a 2/3 to fill in the hole created by McGrady's departure, so the deal would have to involve Luol Deng or Andres Nocioni. Also, for McGrady, they could throw in Joe Smith (if he's going to shoot like that) hopefully those salaries match I am too lazy to check right now. Then, we could fill our weakest position (PG) with either Kirk Hinrich or Ben Gordon by sending them Alston.

We just keep Yao in the post, move the 4's out of his way, and have Deng/Nocioni and Gordon/Hinrich on the wings ready to shoot. Sounds pretty tough. Deng could be good enough to be a superstud (not a superstar, but almost) so he might be able to offset T-Mac.

McGrady + Alston for Nocioni/Deng + Joe Smith + Hinrich/Gordon

They get a superstar and a PG. They lose two above average role players (one being a PG) and a filler.

We get two above average players (one is PG - our weakest and the second is F/PF - our second/third weakest)

All you have to do is hope that Luther Head or Mike James can play the 2 well. Shane will probably be a backup 3. Chuck Hayes will come off bench for 4 and Yao will be backed by Scola.

Wow that's a huge change I don't know if it's worth it but it's at least worth a look.

I like McGrady though. :(

Edit: I think Tyrus Thomas is relatively untouchable for them. They'll be begging to drop off Big Ben but they'll want to keep Thomas. There's also no way they would give BOTH Deng and Nocioni OR Gordon and Hinrich. I also think there's no way the will give Deng/Nocioni + Hinrich/Gordon + Wallace/Thomas.

That's the basis of how I made my trade scenario.

13. YallMean

YallMean Member

I wouldnt do a 50/50 trade if I were Morey. Bulls are the desperate ones. It has to be lobsided deal in favor of us.

14. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Tyrus Thomas is nothing more then Stromile Swift. Athletic PF who'll show flashes of brilliance then disappear. No offensive game at all. Doesn't play hard alot of times.

The one thing I would demand as part of the trade the Bull's 1rst rd pick. Cause I know even with Tmac they will still struggle, maybe still head for the lottery.

15. Rockets4279

Rockets4279 Member

I dont think they would want to trade Deng i mean hell they wont even for Kobe.

16. RoxChamps

RoxChamps Member

the reason why big ben is part of the trade is because of the salary difference. If salary wasn't a factor, I'd do the trade for Deng and Gordon/Hinrich, but I don't think the Bulls will give up that much. I'd settle for Deng/Thomas though.

17. YallMean

YallMean Member

yeah, they are high on Deng. Tmac+Deng should win them a lot of games in the east, so it should be an attractive combo for them. I thought Kobe wouldnt want to go to a team basically swaps him with their stars.

18. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Hell yes.

19. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Again I'll say about Luol Deng:

Who is he that the Bulls would turn down getting Kevin Garnett, Kobe , or TMac? He's a good player but not a franchise player to build around. When you have a chance to get a franchise player in their prime years for a just a fringe all-star type player, you take it.

Bulls are overrating Luol's potential. He's a James Worthy type of player, not Magic Johnson.

20. johnrox

johnrox Member

took the words out of my mouth