1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sam Presti made this team

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Williamson, Jul 5, 2013.

1. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

For several years people have spoken of Sam Presti as one of the best general managers in the NBA.

But he did this.

Going into the 2012/2013 season the OKC Thunder had two Western Conference rivals - the Lakers and the Spurs (I know an argument could be made for the Clippers, but so long as Sterling owns the Clippers I can't take them seriously). Both of those teams were aging. We knew their windows were small. Nobody expected the Thunder to have a serious rival in the Western Conference in the foreseeable future.

But then Presti and the ownership group in OKC decided to trade Harden to the Rockets instead of amnestying Perkins and giving Harden the contract he wanted. And now what do they have to show for it? Martin is gone. Lamb spent the year in the D-League. Steven Adams? A future pick from Dallas that is so protected that they may never see it?

And here is the real rub. Without James Harden, the Rockets could have NEVER acquired Howard. With Howard, the Rockets are emerging as a serious contender in the West. And it won't stop there. We may acquire a third star. Regardless, you can bet money your Shane Battier/Ray Allen types will be lining up to take our vet minimum contracts from here on out. All because Presti opted for Perkins over Harden.

Again - the Thunder now have a serious rival for years to come and they have nobody to blame for that but their own GM.

I would be furious with Presti if I were a Thunder fan.

I never want to hear anyone mention Presti as a better GM than Morey ever again. We are incredibly fortunate to have the man. Morey is just running circles around most other general managers.

Can't wait to see what comes next!

8 people like this.
  2. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

A+++ thread, will read again and post on FB.

1 person likes this.
  3. Williamson

Thank you, sir. :grin:

4. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

5. YallMean

YallMean Member

As I said in another thread, man, did we luck out? But of course, ton of credits to DMorey for playing every move right. We landed Harden, who even McHale wasn't sure was this good. We had a fantastic season that no one should complain about, developed young core in Parsons, Harden and Asik. In the meantime, debacles happened in LA, DH was pissed and wouldn't want to stay in LA for more money, can you freaking believe that? Because of the promise we showed through the last season, DH got excited with us and want to be part of it. As much as I love Asik, it's cool for him wanting to start elsewhere; and we are in a hunt to have a premium PF to fill the biggest hole of this team. Hopefully, we get a PF that can help out on D, cough JSmoove, cough. Isn't this beautiful?

1 person likes this.
  6. Williamson

7. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Presti lucked into a several lotto picks that became very good players .... Being lucky doesn't make you good.

Morey's wheeling and dealing turned a bunch of average NBA players into an All Star in Harden , A second round pick into what could be an All Star. Sure Morey was lucky that Presti gave up Harden .... but he created the assets for that deal from .... the likes of Dalembert , Martin & Lowry. He was good .... and lucky.

On a side note - How would you like to have Lowry at the point with the team as currently constructed ?!

8. Williamson

I would love Lowry back on this squad. His tough nosed defense would be nice. He was also shooting the three at a respectable clip in his final season with us.

On the downside, however, he has been plagued by injuries the past few seasons.

9. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

Canaan Has his size and girth, can shoot lights out. Let's hope he pans out.

10. Williamson

Let's! But I sincerely doubt Morey will bank on it. I would kill to know what all Morey is working on right now.

Bringing back Francisco Garcia at the vet minimum is a fantastic start. Can't wait to see what is next!

11. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

Awesome, you are right.

12. hikanoo49

hikanoo49 Member

you have to remember that EVERYONE including Durant and Westbrook made some sacrafices for the greater good. Harden wasnt willing to do the same

thus if presti gave Harden this contract, then it would be a slap in teh face to Durant and Westbrook. We havent won anything yet so too early to pat our backs and say Morey is better than Presti

13. desertfire

desertfire Member

Also, I think Morey/Rockets were lucky Stern nixed the Gasol trade. Our window for a championship is much better with the younger stars than whoever would have been paired with Gasol.

14. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

Why do I keep reading that Dallas pick is so unprotected they may never see it? Isn't it fully unprotected in 2016?

15. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Maybe if Presti wasn't being egotistical and been patient with the negotiation process they would have signed Harden close to the price they wanted him at.

Instead he decided to give a silly deadline and follow through with it... It doesn't even matter what happens with the Rockets.

I said it then before Harden destroyed the Hawks in his first Rocket game...He broke up a contending team, a team that consisted of The 2nd best player, top 5 PG and SG. All Under 25

That's crazy.

16. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

I think Harden just wanted his payday. He earned it. No player wants to sacrifice much on their first contract. It is usually their longest contract and they could get injured. Why do you think Morey locked him up as soon as he got here?

He probably would have sacrificed some money to be a starter, but I am sure they said they couldn't give him that either. So Harden saw it as they just want him to sacrifice and give without getting anything in return. He knew if he were a starter he would easily get the max.

The Thunder should have amnestied Perkins and started Westbrook, Harden, Durant, Ibaka, and Aldrich and made it their mission to get a center. I am sure Ibaka could have chipped in minutes at the center position with Collison next to him.

17. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

Stop reading the thunder forum

18. knickstorm

knickstorm Member

lol what?? this team hasnt accomplished anything yet.

I'm still waiting to see if Harden/Howard will work. I can see it already, Howard in the post calling for the ball, and Harden puts up a step back J, how well is that going to go over?

To call Presti lucky is ridiculous. Durant was an obvious pick, but Westbrook and Harden were not no brainer picks. No credit for Ibaka either?? If you want to play the luck game...then it's bad luck Westbrook got hurt last year, if he didnt, there's no reason they couldnt get to the finals. SO instead of blaming him for a sub-par year how about you blame bad luck?

They werent going to give out 3 max contracts so Harden would've walked away for nothing like Dwight and how would that have looked?

Lamb has been in the league for a year, and Adams hasnt even played but you're already calling them worthless pretty much. IT's unfair for you to project the Rockets blasting into the stratosphere and turning around and comparing it to where Lamb and ADams are today.

THe Pau Gasol to the Lakers trade looked like the most lopsided trade ever at the time. Fast forward, not so much anymore.

19. knickstorm

knickstorm Member

heh? Dude is like 6 foot with shoes...his size is average at best.

His biggest problem is transitioning from being the focal point of the offense toa role player who has to know when and where to pick his spots. If he even cracks the rotation next year, then i'd say he's done well for himself.

20. haven

haven Member

What financial sacrifices did Durant and Westbrook make? They're both on max deals, right?