1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sam Houston State Football Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by ima_drummer2k, Oct 29, 2012.

1. jdh008

jdh008 Member

I agree. NDSU was a better team today. They were too physical on defense and they managed to make big plays without penalties. But with that being said, the officials were pretty bad for both teams.

2. CJLarson

CJLarson Member

Agreed, the refs definitely could have been better.

The thing about NDSU...only 7 seniors departing this year.

3. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Just got outplayed and out coached today. Had that Flanders td stood, I think things would have been different. The int after just destroyed momentum.

Congrats to North Dakota State, again.

4. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Well, that second half was pretty terrible. I regret going to the game. It's not because we lost, but because we got spanked. Disappointing.

5. Beavis Stiffler

"Last year we knocked on the door. This year we beat on it. Next year we're going to kick that son of a b**** in." - Bum Phillips

LUV YA BEARKATS!!!!!

6. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

And then.....depression set in.....

Seriously, that TD getting called back was a total game-changer. And losing Taylor on defense was the final nail in the coffin. His replacement was totally lost out there.

But NDSU was the better (coached) team again this year. They just seemed to play a lot smarter than us. Again.

To anyone who went to the game...how were the NDSU fans? They seem like a fun bunch.

7. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

I thought that holding call on the TD run was kinda BS.

8. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Losing our starting middle linebacker (Beauchamp) in the first couple minutes of the game hurt as well.

The NDSU crowd was good. I didn't have any bad experiences with them. I talked with a couple of them and they were cool. They outnumbered us by a lot. And were much louder. So that was kind of embarrassing, since Huntsville is only 3 hours away from the championship game site. In the fourth quarter a bunch of them started chanting "This game's over" but they were right and could have been saying much more cruel things, so I couldn't get mad at that.

9. leroy

It wasn't kinda BS...it was complete BS. They called the OL for the takedown well after the play had passed them by. It had no affect on anything having to do with how that play finished. It was a call that I believe affected the outcome of the game when the alleged penalty didn't even affect the outcome of the play.

10. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Though I'm still not fully recovered from the ass kicking we received in the title game, I thought this was a good read from Texas Football.

1 person likes this.
  11. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

I sure hope this is their year! I really hope third time's a charm.

12. ima_drummer2k

I saw this article on the Go Bearkats Facebook page and was trying to find it to post here, but I couldn't find it.

I think next year all depends on how good North Dakota State is. They really seem to have our number. We've been the 2nd best team in the country for 2 years now. Let's hope NDSU takes a step back this year.

I'm really looking forward to the sfa game at Reliant. It's in November this year, which means perfect tailgating weather. Already counting the days...

13. jdh008

jdh008 Member

There are a couple of things I'm going to be looking for in the upcoming season.

First, I'll be interested to see how new DC Mike Collins does in his first year. He has the pedigree. He spent a couple of years at LSU, he got a cup of coffee as a head coach as interim HC at ULM and he has SLC experience, as he has spent the last five years at McNeese as their DC and associate head coach. Scott Stoker, the outgoing DC, was a heck of coach, though, and he will be difficult to replace.

I'll also be looking for new playmakers to develop for the future. The core of this team is still that first group that Fritz brought in that included Richard Sincere, Brian Bell and Timothy Flanders on offense and guys like Gary Lorance, Bookie Sneed, Andrew Weaver and Jarrett Brown on defense.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not holding that against Fritz. He brought in a fantastic group in his first year at Sam, but these last couple of recruiting classes are what is going to determine if SHSU is going to settle into being a nice program with a chance to have a run like the ones they have made the last couple of years or if they are going to continue to be a national power at the FCS level.

14. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Yeah, I am pretty worried about our lack of playmaking once those guys are gone from offense. It's why I bought season tickets this year - who knows when we'll be relevant again.

I really hope our O-line gets bigger and deeper. IIRC, they did pretty well against NDSU so that was good to see.

I don't know anything about the style of the new DC, but I hope we continue to put pressure on the QB and force him to make great plays down the field. That seems to be a good strategy at this level when you have good cover corners.

15. leroy

I think this will be a special year. With Bell, Flanders and Sincere on their way out, I can see another undefeated conference run into the playoffs. On one hand, I'd like to avoid NDSU again...on the other, I'd like some payback.

That said, I agree with both of you that hopefully they're building for beyond this season. This run has been fantastic (I was shocked to see a SHSU section at the Academy in The Woodlands. 3 racks of just SHSU stuff outside of Huntsville. How cool is that?). I just hope that they are getting the players that will allow us to be a perennial playoff team and championship contender. Winning does wonders for recruiting. A national title would be huge for the future.

16. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

Just show potential recruits the Jolly Fox. That'll real 'em in! :D

csb...my sister worked there for a while after high school...lol

17. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

So I just got a call from the ticket office saying that they have moved the "Student Reserved" section.

The green sections S and R
    [​IMG]
    They let me move closer to the field and 50 yard line for free. Row 5, seats 1 and 2, section D. Heck yeah.

The reason I'm posting this is because as we all know, the stadium is long overdue for upgrades - if not a demolition and rebuilding of another stadium. When I asked the ticket sales guy what changes were being made he said that all he was able to tell me was that the Student Reserved section was being moved. So hopefully, maybe, that means other changes/upgrades are being made.

18. ima_drummer2k

This is good news. The bad news is that some of the games will be on CSN Houston (which of course isn't available in Houston). :rolleyes:

I have Dish and Dish doesn't have ESPN 3 either. So I guess I'm SOL unless the TUBE channel picks up some of these games like they did last year?

19. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Wow, that sucks that Dish doesn't have ESPN3.

20. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I'll be at the games that are airing on CSN, so it's not a loss for me. I'm already looking forward to the Eastern Washington game!

Just now saw this article that was written at the end of April:

Cornerback Dax Swanson and receiver Trey Diller each inked contracts this weekend, with Swanson signing with the Indianapolis Colts and Diller going to the Panthers.

Cuts haven't happened yet, right? So I assume they are still on those teams.