1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sam Houston State @ Baylor

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by ima_drummer2k, Sep 14, 2012.

1. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

There is a slight chance that Sam Houston can shock the world and win this game if Baylor underestimates us, but I'm not counting on it. Hope we can keep it close for a few quarters, come away injury-free and get back to kicking FCS ass next week.

This game is supposed to be on Fox College Sports channel. Anyone know if that's available on Dish Network? And if so, what channel?

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Your powers are weak, old man.

3. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

Sam Houston blew this game, rather than BU winning it handily. SHSU came out in the second half flat. Gave up a fumble at the 4 and then missed snaps. Plus didn't convert on 4th and goal from the 1 when Bell just fell back when a lineman stepped on his foot.

We showed good stuff early, and even flashes in the second half, but kept giving BU short fields. Hopefully we will run the Southland and get a good seed in the playoffs, but they can't make those mistakes against any team and expect to win, let alone a Big 12 team.

4. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

Well, it was an entertaining game til SHSU puked it up near the end.

The last 2 minutes, when the game was essentially over, took forever.

I thought it was kind of poor form to run that interception back with 12 seconds left, instead of just taking a knee or running out of bounds. But hey, that's the BCS era for you.

5. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

6. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I had a feeling something bad was going to happen in the 2nd half. Too many missed chances by Sam when they could have had a bigger lead. Any time you're kicking a 23 yd field goal means you should have scored a td. How many dropped passes in the endzone?

Oh well. A win would have been huge.

7. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I drove up to Waco for the game. Was a good experience, even though the crowd was dead the entire game. I asked my friend (BU alum) if that was what it was normally like, and he said yes. Lots of locals go to the game and they just walk around and talk to each other the whole time, clearly not paying any attention to what's happening on the field. But I wanted to go there once before the stadium is knocked down.

SHSU could have won this game had they played nearly perfect. But, to be fair, Baylor could have made this laugher from the beginning had they played nearly perfect.

Still, I was happy to have a 20-10 lead at halftime. I was sitting in the Baylor alumni section and they were none too happy with my cheering. The guys behind me really, truly, honestly, seriously believed that the NCAA had sent those officials there to call the game in favor of Sam just to screw over Baylor. I enjoyed hearing their theories of conspiracy.

Question for others: Does this count against SHSU's FCS rankings for the playoffs? That would seem unfair, but I was told by someone that FBS wins/losses are taken into consideration.

8. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Theoretically it can/will hurt them in the polls which are a factor in determining at-large bids for playoffs in the event that SHSU doesn't win conference. It can also affect the seeding in the playoffs.

My guess is it will have a negligible impact provided that we win all the games we should win, but it might hurt them compared to a team like North Dakota State, who beat Colorado State (even though they are nowhere near Baylor's ability).

9. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Awesome, that must have been fun. Were there a lot of SHSU fans there? Seems like there were a lot of orange shirts in the pictures I've seen. Did we make a good showing? Were the Baylor fans a-holes or congratulatory?

I had a gig so I couldn't watch the game but I was following it on my phone and checking the score between every song. Seems like we really let one get away in the 2nd half. I hate that the score ended up looking so lopsided because, from what I could tell, the game was much closer than the final score.

Anyway, back to FCS competition until the game against A&M. Hopefully we'll have everything wrapped up by then because I'm not as confident against them as I was against Baylor after seeing what they did to SMU this weekend.....

Still proud of my Bearkats! Hung the flag out all weekend!

[​IMG]

10. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

There was a good showing of SHSU fans there. Saw and talked to an old professor (Tuttle) and saw some decent Sam tailgating. I actually paid $10 online to be admitted to Sam's Alumni Association tailgate but I couldn't even find it!

In the first half, the crowd intensity was arguably in our favor (largely due to the score), but I was proud of the turnout.

The Baylor fans received the Sam supporters well. I heard a few not-so-kind comments from those behind me because of my cheering/standing/clapping for Sam, but they never said anything to me directly, so I didn't mind. Before the game a few approached me and had positive things to say and wished Sam luck in the game.

But I won't be going to the game in College Station. Don't want to deal with Aggies.

11. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

couldn't watch the game but I kept up on my phone. I'm proud of the Kats for sticking with a decent DIV I team for 3 quarters. I didn't expect to win, but I was ecstatic for a while. Looking for another good year from SAM. Eat'em up Kats!