1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sam Houston State Baseball

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by ima_drummer2k, May 21, 2014.

1. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

We just won the Southland Conference outright for the 3rd straight year. The tournament started in Conway, AR today and we won the first game over Lamar 10-4.

We've notched several wins against the 'big boys' this year including Rice, TCU, Texas Tech, Texas A&M, Baylor, and UH.

We are currently 41-15 and ranked #23 in the nation.

EAT EM UP.

2. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Coach Pierce has done a heck of a job these past few seasons.

EAT EM UP!

3. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

I was happier than a hog in mud when they broke the top 25. Lets hope they make a dent in the College World Series.

EAT'EM UP!

4. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

5. jdh008

jdh008 Member

David Pierce (and staff) really has this program in high gear.

I was an SHSU student between '06-'11, so I had a front row seat for the evolution of the program.

When Mark Johnson first took over the program, they were a plucky upstart that punched above their weight. They played their best baseball in the postseason, as their first couple of trips to the regionals came after winning the SLC tournament since their resume wouldn't have been good enough for an at-large. Once there, they made a habit of making some noise, or at least putting a scare into one of the favorites.

Now, this is a team that legitimately has the talent to win a regional and play for a chance to go to Omaha in the super regionals. They're that good.

And it's probably only going to get better. The building block teams of this program were made up almost primarily of players from the Houston area and East Texas that got passed over by Rice, UT, and A&M. Now, SHSU is starting to win some head-to-head recruiting battles. They're really not a second-class citizen in the state anymore.

6. Downtownbrown

Downtownbrown Member

7. houston#1

houston#1 Rookie

Good luck to SHSU, Rice, and Houston.

8. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

9. ima_drummer2k

I must have jinxed us by creating this thread, since we're 0-2 since it's inception.

I'm just going to keep quiet.

10. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

My contribution: As a kid, I went to baseball camp at SHSU with Coach Skeeter 3 times. :)

11. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

My contribution: this thread hits home. I once visited Sam Houston State University. I was looking for a prison to visit some homeboys. :eek:

12. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

My contribution: Has nothing to do with SHSU, I just like replying after three Hakeem Olajuwon members...:eek:

#12 BamBam, May 28, 2014
    Last edited: May 29, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  13. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

brah...it's all about the 99s. Ask tinman.

...and my contribution to Sam baseball...grew up in Huntsville (14 years)...never saw a single Bearkat baseball game. Did go to quite a few basketball games in that tomb-like coliseum.

14. ima_drummer2k

Dramatic win over DBU yesterday. We're in the winners bracket and will face TCU tonight at 6:45.

EAT EM UP.

15. leroy

So, we apparently lost in 22 innings last night, 3-2...helped in part by the 2nd base up TWICE calling interference on a Sam player sliding into 2nd. The first time cost 2 runs. The second cost a potential winning round in the 21st inning. It was a terrible call, too. The tcu 2nd baseman was standing on top of the base to make his throw as the Sam player slid in and made contact. He's allowed to get to the base and he didn't slide through it. Crap call by the ump. It's a shame that a game like that is decided by someone other than the players.

#15 leroy, Jun 1, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2014
  16. ima_drummer2k

Yeah, apparently we got JOBBED Saturday ni....er, Sunday morning. I guess that ump has never seen a base runner try to break up a double play? Really??

We had nothing left last night. It was basically our 4th game in 24 hours. Congrats to TCU, they're a great team. And congrats to Sam Houston State for another fun season.

17. ima_drummer2k

Well, crap.

18. leroy

We're always going to be a stepping stone. He did a fantastic job. 5 players were drafted this week, too.