1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sam Hinkie podcast interview in Philly

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by meh, Oct 6, 2013.

1. meh

meh Contributing Member

http://spikeeskin.com/2013/10/03/rights-to-ricky-sanchez-podcast-sixers-gm-sam-hinkie/

Some interesting nuggets in regards to why the Rockets didn't rebuild. Why he's doing it in Philly. Coach-GM relations. etc.

What I found most interesting, and I'm paraphrasing here, is that Hinkie said there's a huge difference between a player that's elite at something(he used rebounding as an example), as opposed to someone's who's merely average/above-average. It may shed some light on the Rockets player acquisitions. Like going for some players like Morris or White that do have some elite skills but overall not really well-rounded.

Also bodes well for the Rockets rebounding ability this season, since we do have two elite rebounders in the NBA.

2. BBAAB

BBAAB Rookie

Yes, if you give players enough time to round out their games, they can with effort be average at something. But it's hard to ever become elite at something if it's not either innate or developed when young.

3. roslolian

roslolian Member

Well Philly fans should be rejoicing, Hinkie just managed to pull off one of the best tanking/rebuilding drafts ever. Their team is gonna be horrible, they have a C and a pg, and they could have two lottery picks in one of the deepest drafts ever. Thunder East in 2 years lol.

4. amazingskills

amazingskills Member

philly is losing to bilbao...lol...

5. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Sixers won but Axel Hervelle, whose rights are held by the Rockets, had 14 pts and 14 rebounds.

#5 Carl Herrera, Oct 6, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2013
  6. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

• Bilbao lost to the Sixers
    • And without Kwame Brown
    I wonder if those two statements actually mean anything. Maybe I'll try adding exclamations to them and change Kwame to Royce. Kwame is so pre-twitter

• Bilbao lost to the Sixers!
    • And without Royce White!
    There, that's better. I'm going to post that on my blog, then sit back and reel in some hits.

7. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

There's not really any sugarcoating the Morris pick, since we basically passed up Kawhi Leonard for him. Every hardcore Rockets fan except DD wanted Leonard, and we still went out and took Morris. What's more, the two Rockets picked after Morris, DMo and Parsons, also turned out better than him. So it's a double whammy.

At some point you stop rationalizing and just start making right decisions.

8. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

Sell high! :)

Don't think Hervelle is an NBA player. Seriously doubt he ever comes over. The closest thing to an NBA player on Bilbao IMO is Dairis Bertans, who's the older brother of Davis Bertans (2nd round pick of the Spurs).

Looked pretty good out there today, I thought.

He's only 6' 4.5" and doesn't do much other than score, but scoring he sure can and he's rather efficient at doing so, primarily taking 3s and shots near the rim. Sweet stroke. Good at drawing fouls. Good athlete for a Euro. Can handle it some. Solid on D. Had 28 points on 13 FGA against France this past Eurobasket and finished the Eurobasket with a higher PER at than Bellinelli, DeColo and Nedovic (Warriors first rounder), playing on a team with pretty much no talent around him.

edit:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/jYH6gUNDFs0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

#8 HMMMHMM, Oct 6, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2013