1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sam for Steve?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by michaelsmp, Mar 25, 2004.

1. michaelsmp

michaelsmp New Member

Wouldn't you love to see "Sam I Am" as a Rocket again. I really think Cassell could have been the best point guard in Rockets history. When we traded Cassell and Horry for Barkley, it all went downhill. It's probably a pipe dream but I think Sam would be a perfect fit for these Rockets. Sam does it all, plays good D, pass, shoots and drives the lane at will. Maybe someone can could up with a 3-way deal that would send Sam here, I know Minnesota does not need/want Steve Francis.

I also miss Kenny Thomas too. Eddie Griffin messed everything up for this franchise. If we drafted R. Jefferson instead of getting Grifffin, our roster would have looked like this:

PG- Francis
    SG- Mobley
    C- Yao
    PF- K. Thomas
    SF- R. Jefferson

Bench:
    J. Jackson
    M. Taylor
    K. Cato

This team would go FAR in the playoff.

2. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

OK dude...stop living in the past.

We know, they f****ed up in picking Griffin.....WE KNOW! :eek:

.......................:(

EDIT: OK sorry for the profanity.....

Sooo.....why start a SF for Cassell thread if you know this? Please wait till the offseason before you make more trade threads, because

A. Trade deadline is over
    &
    B. I won't be around to read them. ;)

oh yeah, one more thing.....SF has come had a good string of games, 10 assists, and then 9assists last night.....so your timing SUCKS for yet another reason. :p

#2 Uprising, Mar 25, 2004
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2004
  3. franchise403

franchise403 Contributing Member

What a horrible first post.

4. Sane

Sane Member

We wouldn't have as many chances in the lottery if our team was better than it was. So maybe that team would have Yao Ming in the middle or maybe it'd have Kelvin Cato.

Also, we wouldn't have KT because we were too close to the luxury tax to offer him the contract he wanted. Oh, and with New Jersey in need of a SF while Yao Ming is on some other team, don't you think JVG would take another job? In that case, wouldn't JJ sign somewhere else?

5. Sane

Sane Member

Well, since I don't want to start another trade thread..

A few fans over at the RealGM Sonics board seem to think this would be a good idea:

Steve Francis and Kelvin Cato

for

Luke Ridnour, Rashard Lewis, and 2 of their C's

Notes:

- We'd be thin at PG, but could pick someone up via the 4.5M exception, or the 6.9M TE. I think a second year Luke Ridnour could be special, but still adviseable to pick a vet up.

- Rashard Lewis is absolutely perfect for Yao Ming. He will punish the HELL out of teams who double Yao.

- Of the 2 C's, one will have an expiring contract. This occurs because 2 of their C's have expiring contracts to begin with. So they will give us Calvin Booth along with either Jerome James or Vitaly Potapenko, with the latter both having expiring contracts.

- The expiring contract is a trade commodity.

- Although I'd hate to lose Cato, Yao's minutes are likely to increase again, while Mo and Weatherspoon are capable of holding the fort at PF. I'll miss his shotblocking, but his minutes would be very limited anyway given the staff. Booth will take over backup minutes at C. May flourish since he won't be worried about fouls as much anymore.

We look like this:

Yao/Booth/James or Potapenko
    MoT/Weatherspoon
    Lewis/JJ/Boki
    Mobley/JJ/Pike
    Ridnour/Wilks

Here's what we have to improve the team: The minimum, the MLE, the 6.9M TE. Aside from this, we have an expiring contract (James or Potapenko), Pike (great shooter at only 2.5M), and Boki (almost worthless right now, but in a package maybe..).

Say we sign Antonio McDyess (he's starting to come on for Phoenix) and either Damon Jones or Charlie Ward, then you have a team that's at least capable of competing for homecourt.

Thoguhts?

6. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

anybody have a "have a warm cup of shut the f*** up" pic handy?

7. fya

fya Member

Cato and Steve for

rashard and ray allen. Now that would be nice.

8. catoinstitute

catoinstitute Member

Please, no discussion about trading Cato (our most valuable player).

9. Life2Def

Life2Def Member

Plays good D?

10. paxil

paxil Contributing Member

Stop Dreaming! I could by 10000 share Microsoft 15 years ago and I would be retired now.

11. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

man you guys are harsh...:eek:

12. declan32001

declan32001 Member

from Sane:
    We could and possibly might do much worse than you suggest. The main problem is how much Rashard's game might suffer from those double-triple teams Yao may get.

SF's and Cat's penetration starting last season (when teams en masse started really playing some good zone) has never been the same. And Yao taking up space and drawing people to the lane has been fairly well defended here as to the difficulties Steve and Cat have faced.

Now the focus is on fg pctg. from the deep perimeter, and outside shots in general. Understandable, but I bet on 'Shard seeing the spot getting there next year the way SF and Cat did 3 years ago before zones.

I'm hoping for perhaps better from "why do we care at this point?" offers from EC teams, but I still think it improves our team. Yeah, the back-up pg thing would be huge and addressable.

13. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Lighten up a bit guys....new posters are new posters, their threads are supposed to suck. It's not nearly as annoying as when vets do the same thing.

14. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

Here you go.

[​IMG]

15. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

I sure wish Hakeem Olajuwon was playing with Yao and, damn, Robert Reid would be the perfect fit for this team playing that point forward. Plus, we sure could use Calvin Murphy's shooting right about now.

Too bad they're all retired.

16. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Trade Steve Francis for a PG in his mid-30s, genius! How about we trade Francis for a SF and operate without a PG? That's even better! Then we can look like this:

Mo
    Small Forward of your choosing
    Yao
    Mobley
    No PG

I think we can win a championship with that!