1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sam Amick: JaVale McGee freed from Philly, Houston among potential destinations?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Mar 1, 2015.

1. RocketsTerps

RocketsTerps Member

Denver not being able to trade McGee tells me his contract with another year on it was the problem. Similar to Josh Smith being untradeable. Similar to Josh Smith, in a winning culture with leaders, a defined and limited role, he can be a valuable addition. Joey Dorsey is not tall enough at 6-8 to contribute at the 5 in the playoffs.

2. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Joey Dorsey is not as good of a player as those guys. Good grief, Dorsey is a 12th man on the bench and those guys are all starters. Are you implying that JaVale is as good as those guys, because he is not. Having said that only Jordan rebounds better than Dorsey out of all of those guys.

3. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

His contract is what made teams not trade for him.

4. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Unfortunately I'm a gluten for punishment and have watch a few of the last Sixers games.

I'll tell you honestly.... the guy is playing pretty awful basketball right now. Even in limited minutes with Philly the guy can barely get up and down the court he's so out of shape. He's not defending the rim anywhere near where Noel is, and is really getting beat out by Henry Sims believe it or not.

McGee wouldn't even play for the Rockets. Dorsey is actually better than him right now at defending and rebounding.

Next year maybe McGee can work this offseason at getting back to being a legit NBA center, but right now the guy looks like someone who is close to being out of the league.

5. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

3rd seed.

6. rocketsmetalspd

Wonder who else will get waived in time for being on a playoff roster? The team does not a legit big that can a least clean up the boards, which almost cost the Rockets the game against the Cavs. IF Dorsey gets the ax in order to get McGee I will be surprised.

7. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

[​IMG]

8. dobro1229

The deadline to get waived was last night. Anyone else who gets waived & has to clear waivers wont be eligible in time for a playoff roster.

Unless the Rockets sign McGee right after he clears, this is the team they have going into the playoffs.

9. dobro1229

GLUTTON for punishment.... nice catch there internet grammar police.

[​IMG]

10. Airdough

Airdough Member

The problem the Rockets have is that they don't have anyone that they can waive in order to bring another rim protector like McGee or another shooter (like a Delfino if healthy). I don't think Dorsey sucks but who else can the Rockets drop?

I would love to have both McGee and Dorsey for the playoffs, regardless if Howard returns. Players like that aren't here to log big minutes but just come up with a rebound or rim protection in the inevitable close games the Rockets are facing come playoff time.

11. XxTCNxX

XxTCNxX Member

Yeah 3rd seed but we get a lot of unnessecary hate thrown at us.. It was first because of Dwight then Morey acting like a child on Twitter.. The last thing this team needs is the Shaqtin a Fool MVP

12. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I don't care if McGee dresses like a clown on the court if he helps us get to the WCF.

13. HouStu_Rocket

HouStu_Rocket Member

Don't want. Stick with the team. Dorsey is Dwight's good friend and JaVale won't be an improvement over Dorsey. At least much of one

14. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

You have great analytical skills my man. Know exactly what I'm talking about.

15. sabesque

sabesque Member

TBH I haven't watched him play this year, so I'm forming my opinion based on what I've seen from him in past years and his stats this year. Feel comfortable doing this knowing that he has been traded and waived, I'm assuming that it he hasn't improved this year.

I personally don't think he's an improvement over Dorsey, and I imagine for Morey he's not worth waiving Dorsey's guaranteed contract for, and he's not worth shaking up our current rotation for.

What we need is rim protection and rebounding. And although he's maybe more physically gifted than Dorsey, it's not like we would be getting a prolific rebounder (Dorsey is basically just as capable). McGee is a low IQ defender and tends to get lost on defense. And he's not like a Perkins, who brings toughness and leadership to the locker room. I just don't think he brings enough of an improvement to change up our current lineup.

And I heard people say that our staff and our system could help fix him, I don't want our staff shifting ANY of their focus on a 7-year vet/project.

/rant

16. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

The guy to make a deal for was Timothy Mozgov. I have no idea why Morey didn't go harder to make it happen. Heck even old man Chris Kaman > McGee, especially with the b-ball IQ.

17. brooksstephens

I used to be a Wizards season ticket holder back in the Javale days... He's literally the worst ever.

But we could still use him.

18. batkins

batkins Contributing Member

Smith and McGee on the court at the same time has the potential for hilarity at times. Would compete with Gallagher.

19. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

McGee doesn't cost assets or capspace.

20. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

I really like Mozgov, but do you know how much it cost the cavs?
    I doubt Morey would trade 2 first round picks for a backup center (especially since we have a pretty strong frontcourst rotations with Dmo, Smith, Jones and when healthy Howard).