1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sam Amick: JaVale McGee freed from Philly, Houston among potential destinations?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Mar 1, 2015.

1. knucklehead3321

Made some good points, I don't doubt dwight comes back for the playoffs, but I hate saying this... say he tweaks his knee late in the playoff run would we rather have dorsey or mcghee? I dont see dorsey sticking next year why. Not try out mcghee? BTW im with you 100% WCS will contribute next year in houston or somwhere else, I think hes going higher in the draft than most expect... look at last year joel embid went 3 hurt. We are lucky to have the pick this year lots of big PG's and 5 or 6 legit C's something will go our way.

2. vator

vator Contributing Member

Ok, but how do you get McGee to come here if you can't promise him playing time? He wants to play and be developed. Who do you put on the bench for him when Dwight comes back in order to get him here? DMo, Josh Smith, or T. Jones? I say none of the above.

3. knucklehead3321

That's the conundrum...we can promise development and possibly PT ,but what other team chasing him can say more? I think thoae comments were made prior to getting waived, and he just did not want a buyout. At this point hes running out of options he's going to have to decide to sacrifice PT or or winning...

4. MoonieMac10

MoonieMac10 Member

Dwight is coming back, why would we "need" Mcgee? Dorsey plays sparingly so bringing in McGee to replace is not sensible

5. hakeemthagreat

So if Dwight gets in early foul trouble in a highly competitive game 7 against a HUGE frontline like Zbo & Gasol (or LMA/Lopez, Griffin/Jordan, Bogut/Speights, Duncan/Splitter etc) who do you expect to play center and keep them off the boards? You do know rebounding is HUGE in playoff match ups?

Recent history tells me we will get DESTOYED by offensive rebounding
    & lack of rim protection with D-Mo, Dorsey or any of the 6'9 PF's we have playing center:rolleyes:

6. knucklehead3321

Agreed...or for sake of debate dwight gets injured even something small; like a twisted ankle,or gets the flu, or suspended. 1 game makes a world of difference in the playoffs, I just don't expect dorsey back next year. Why not try out a guy we MIGHT bring back next year. At some point we are gonna have to choose 2 of the 3 PFs we have in dmo tjones and smith. Then mcghee has plenty of playing time.

7. MoonieMac10

MoonieMac10 Member

How often did Josh Powell play last year? youre talking about bringing in Mcgee to be our 5th big man in the rotation. How often if ever, has a team gone 5 deep in the playoffs? and I do realize rebounding is HUGE, but Dorsey is actually a good rebounder.

8. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Developed, maybe. P/T? Not so much. If he comes here it's a bet on his development he's making.

9. vator

Despite being a better shot blocker, Dorsey is actually a much better rebounder than McGee and McGee really isn't a great defensive center despite his length when it comes to anchoring a defense and making rotations. His court awareness isn't that great. All things being equal, I'd say drop Dorsey and sign McGee, but it just isn't that simple. Also if Dwight were to go down in the playoffs God forbid, we're screwed anyways, but we're going to have to take our chances with DMo, Smith and Jones with Dorsey picking up the spot minutes when we need a true banger in there. It has served us well to this point.

#409 vator, Mar 11, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2015
  10. MoonieMac10

MoonieMac10 Member

preach

11. vator

Yeah, I mean if he is no longer demanding playing time then sign me up, but there is no way he should get minutes over any of our current rotation bigs. He would be Dwight insurance and Dwight insurance only.

12. TMac'n

TMac'n Contributing Member

Example of Javale McGee's court awareness

[​IMG]

13. vator

LMAO! Those gifs of him never get old. I still laugh. He is an impressive athlete at the center position so I understand why some people are enamored with him, but he really isn't the rebounder or defensive player that some think he is. He can block shots and he used to be able to throw down some highlight dunks. He may or may not be better than Dorsey at this point lol. Nobody really knows because he doesn't play. He needs to lower his demands. There is a reason he remains unsigned in a league where people are desperate for athletic bigs.

14. hakeemthagreat

Dude Dorsey is a scrub. No way around it. He was non effective against DeAndre Jordan & Brook Lopez recently, and will be completely non existent against the same type of bigs in the postseason. We face different type of centers every nite in the regular season. But we're talking about a 7 GAME SERIES where every rebound or block counts.You can't afford 15-20 minutes stretches where Gasol, D.Jordan, Duncan, Kanter, Lopez or Chandler get multiple offensive boards off putbacks. You can't afford opposing guards having layup drills because your center is 6'7. If Mcgee's motivated, in which I think he'll be with us, he's better than Dorsey 7 days a week. I feel stupid even arguing this with you

15. Smacktle

Smacktle Contributing Member

Screw all you Dorsey haters! You mofos complain about everything!

Joey Dorsey...I LOVE YOU MAN!

1 person likes this.
  16. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

if Howard is healthy
    i rather have DMo and TJones sharing the backup C position min than McGee

17. hakeemthagreat

Have you seen the games recently with D-Mo matched up against bigger centers? Or Dorsey

18. knucklehead3321

Dorsey is also a major liability on offense... they both have their pros and cons but id rather gamble on mcghee I keep going back to saying do we really expect dorsey back next year?

19. MoonieMac10

MoonieMac10 Member

Haha 7 game series when the rotations get shorter, you still want somebody to replace a guy that doesnt even play. McGee is better than dorsey im not arguing you that, but why is it important to replace a guy who barely plays, cause chemistry issues and potentially get a player who could be unsatisfied with the PT and cause a distraction right before or during the playoffs.

1 person likes this.
  20. knucklehead3321

If your point is a guy who wont play anyway, I don't see chemistry being a problem if he starts stuff just bench him. In your point of view is dorsey wont play anyways so who will miss mcghee. Mcghee will be playing for a contract, so I feel he will be on his best behavior hoping for a good contract in the offseason.