1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sam Amick: JaVale McGee freed from Philly, Houston among potential destinations?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Mar 1, 2015.

1. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

As a 6th big and 12th to 15th player?

You could do much, much worse.

Taylor Griffin comes to mind...

2. Mr. Dominant

Mr. Dominant Contributing Member

COME TO HOUSTON MCGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

3. OremLK

OremLK Member

Javale, Parsons, Rondo

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

parson got fat.

5. knucklehead3321

Let's just say mcghee ain't too bright I think we could persuade him to play for free just based on the shaqtin a fool and inside the nba's dislike towards the rockets. I thought the deadline was the 15th? Is that right? If so 4 days now...

6. TesseracT

TesseracT Member

omg please stop talking about Thabeet

even Dorsey would probably crush him 1on1

7. knucklehead3321

Not a dorsey fan by any means, but I agree 100% I'd much rather be talking about andray blatche than thabeet.

8. MattM

MattM Member

Hahah. Please McGee go to Dallas!

9. D-rock

D-rock Member

10. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

I want McGee so bad as insurance in case Dwight doesn't heal up. Have to hope for the best but prepare for the worst with Dwight. If he's healthy, McGee would be a perfect fit. The guy was anything but a scrub when he got minutes with the Wizards.

11. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

Lukewarm...it has been said to be unlikely. We're building chemistry into the playoffs. The circle becomes smaller before the big dance.

Javale is liked by his teammates...but not immediately. Trust takes time, allegedly.

Josh is the exception. He came here, to a winning culture, but we already knew the chemistry would be fine. Josh is well-liked by almost everyone except those "bandwagon" (as he said) ATL fans. Dwight showed him the ropes, James anchored him in and I've heard that Jet has put in work to show him how to blend in more easily. That's where the 2nd unit choice came into play. Josh requested it, but it came from support and comfort.

Anyway, do we really need Javale? Maybe, but that would be a curve ball.

Dwight is here...I guess the seed has to be planted until the tree grows.

12. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Corrollarily, while the question of Josh Smith's return is open, what is the likelihood we see Year II of The JET?

13. hakeemthagreat

Like I've said from the beginning, we need to make a move. Standing pat should not be a option even if Dwight comes back 100%. We NEED another legit bigman. We can't afford to go into the playoffs with the current group of bigmen we have. Given our lack of size, I'm not sure how Dallas is more aggressive than we are in getting Mcgee. We should be frontrunners every time you hear a bigman's available

14. sabesque

sabesque Member

I fixed it for you.

15. basketballholic

A couple questions here:

1. For you guys that are huge fans of Willie Cauley-Stein and want us to somehow draft him this summer, do you think WCS would break into our rotation and be a rotation player straight out of the box? And do you think that WCS would earn more rotation time than Javale would if we had Javale here next year on a minimum salary deal?

2. For you guys that are advocating we sign Javale, do you think he'd be in the primary rotation this year? And do you think that he would be in the primary rotation next season behind Dwight? And do you think if he were competing with a draftee like WCS that he would beat out WCS for a spot in the rotation?

16. MoonieMac10

MoonieMac10 Member

We do not need McGee. DO NOT NEED HIM. Adding another big to our already packed big man rotation would be pointless.

17. Airdough

Airdough Member

1. Willie Cauley-Stein (big if the Rockets could get him) would be in the big man rotation next year if the Rockets lose Smith and/or trade a DMo/Jones/Dorsey/Capela. I think Houston is going to manage Howard's minutes like the Spurs manage their big three when he comes back which would leave anywhere from 15-20 minutes on days Howards players and 25-30 minutes on days Howard is resting.

2. Javale would not be in the primary rotation but would be there for insurance purposes and end of game situations. Jones covering Gasol the other night and hoping for a better result is not fair to Jones, inspite of his length he's giving up alot of size. If Dorsey isn't trusted to take that assignment, then Rockets need someone like McGee to do that for them. If the Rockets got McGee, he would be a rental for the playoffs only.

18. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

McGee is in no condition including mental capability to guard any mediocre big in this league less a Gasol (Mark or Paul). Any promising D-League big (Capella) can come in and be the insurance.

19. vator

vator Contributing Member

Honestly, if Dwight is really coming back there won't be any minutes for McGee. The DMo, Josh Smith, T. Jones PF triumvirate has filled in quite nicely in Dwight's absence against some good frontlines with all of them taking turns manning the middle. Joey Dorsey has come in and provided some beef and rebounding when needed, but is pretty much glued to the bench most of the time with those 3 guys getting all the frontcourt minutes. Howard's return means you now have 4 guys instead of 3 that clearly deserve to play and have earned playing time. An addition of McGee with the return of Howard means either he won't play much at all or that one of the 3 PFs is out of the rotation. If one of the 3 PFs is out of the rotation, which one do you pick? They are all so different and bring different things to the game that contribute to wins. I think McGee is an upgrade over Dorsey if he can be the McGee from a couple of years ago, but if you have to promise him a spot in the rotation in order to get him to come here I think that is a bad idea.

Basically in a nutshell, you only bring McGee in if you have concerns about Howard's ability to come back and contribute to a playoff run.

20. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Agreed. WCS has a skill set and the build already to be an effective rim protector in the NBA right out the gate. Getting up to speed with the NBA, and staying within his lane will be his main challenge.

McGee's issues as an NBA player will continue to be McGee issues. Those things (bone headed plays, hot/cold defensive effort, out of shape/injuries) will continue to be huge risks for the team that picks him up that could keep him at the end of the bench for this team or whatever team. Keep in mind that he was almost working his way out of PHILLY's rotation this year when he's supposed to be healthy, motivated, and acting as a good teammate.

The good news for Rockets fans is that there might not be a need for either NEXT YEAR if Capela gets some work in physically this summer to beef up a bit more, and can get caught up to the speed of the NBA by the end of the season, and with a good Summer league/preseason as well.

He has the tools to do what the Rockets need as a big man backup.

This year however the Rockets don't have anyone to backup Dwight as a rim protector if he's not back before the playoffs which doesn't seem to be a huge concern from what we hear. I'm not too concerned with a backup 5 coming off the bench because the strength of the Rockets bench doesn't rely on the same needs of the starting unit. They can beat up on other contending team's bench with Smith being the primary rim defender with help from Jones.

So I really don't see a need for McGee long term by any stretch, and the news coming out from the Rockets makes it seem as though Dwight will be back, and we wont need him in the short term

However there is a huge need in the FUTURE for the Rockets to groom a big man rim protector or two for the sheer fact that Dwight wont be Dwight forever. If that's WCS then great. If its Capela than that's even better news because it helps the Rockets use their assets to fill in other immediate needs.