1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sam Amick: JaVale McGee freed from Philly, Houston among potential destinations?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Mar 1, 2015.

1. basketballholic

- Signed

Delonte West

2. Ariza4MVP

Ariza4MVP Member

Not sure mcgee has ever done anything as remotely bad as sleeping with a teammates mom.

I'll through rodman, rasheed wallace, JR smith, josh smith, and artest just to name a few that were on their best behavior when they got in a winning situation.

JR smith was said to be hopeless and an untradeable contract earlier this year....now, he starts with lebron plays defense, hustles and knows his role.

3. basketballholic

I was referring to Blatche, not McGee. McGee is just a dough dough brain. He's not a vicious character. Blatche is a different animal. And I do mean animal.

4. rocketsmetalspd

Yes this very true. I hope Morey and McHale realize the need for a true backup C and make a move soon. Dwight looks like a no show till April.

5. finsraider

finsraider Member

A good environment does seem to help guys with character problems, but I'm not sure that applies to Javale.

6. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

height and length give you some advantage on rebounding
    but if you look at history
    the best rebounder is only 6'8"
    team need to box out instead relying on athleticism for of grabbing rebound
    Atlanta C is 6'9" (Horford is 6'9" not 6'10") and PF is 6'6"
    they don't have trouble rebounding

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Also hearing you can add Toronto to the list of teams weighing whether to make a play for JaVale McGee, who clears waivers today at 5 PM</p>&mdash; Marc Stein (@ESPNSteinLine) <a href="https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine/status/573153423312343040">March 4, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

8. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

Atlana is 29th in offensive reb%, 21st in defensive reb%, and 25th overall.

9. knucklehead3321

Is their any specifics on blatche? I've scowered the net all I've found bad about blatche is he was shot in a carjacking,I'm assuming he was the one getting carjacked if so that could happen to anyone. He got into some trouble with the wizards for being bad influence in locker room, conditioning issues, and mimicking the gilbert arenas gun situation but honestly it just sounds like a young immature guy who was drafted out of high school and wasn't ready for NBA life. He's now 27 or 28 guys grow up... I know when I was18 to 20 I was in enough trouble for immature things. Not doubting by any means he could be bad for us but I just dont see him being that bad of a guy... I could be totally wrong.

10. basketballholic

Since 2004, the rebounding leaders in the Association have been Kevin Garnett, Kevin Love, Dwight Howard, and DeAndre Jordan. All of them exceed 6'8. Ben Wallace was the rebounding champ in 02 and 03 and Rodman was the king of the glass from 92-98. Add Charles Barkley in 87 and there's your other 6'8" or less rebounding leader. Other than those 3, everybody else has been 6'10" or taller including Deke, David Robinson, Hakeem, Michael Cage, Bill Laimbeer, Moses Malone, Swen Nater, Truck Robinson, Bill Walton, Kareem, and Gilmore.

All the way back to Wes Unself in 1975.

When a guy 6'8" or less leads the NBA in rebouding, it is the exception, not the rule.

1 person likes this.
  11. rocketsmetalspd

Is that 5 pm Eastern? Well this will interesting to see which playoff teams will be able to land McGee.

12. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

Since 79-80, about 2/3 of players with a career average of 8 or more rebounds were 6'10" or taller.

13. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

For all Dorsey's flaws offensively, he's shown to be a good defender/rebounder this season.

He's always in the right position on rotations and is a rebounding monster.

14. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Rodman with top seed SAS in '95? Not a winning marriage.

15. hakeemthagreat

Wait, so you're comfortable with Joey Dorsey going into the postseason? Have considered the matchups?

16. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Point taken, except for Cage who was 6'10" like Barkley was 6'9". Cage was terrific, huge but not altitudinously blessed.

Unseld? Oh, Chuck Wagon, you were primed to be Wes' reincarnation...

17. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Personally, I'd love McGee. Just his size alone can keep defenders away from the rim and that's exactly what we need.

18. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

Him learning under Hakeem should be a huge asset in our favor.

19. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

True, but it's negated by his boneheaded fouls, and complete lack of offensive game (not to mention lack of size). I actually appreciate Dorsey for what he's given us this season, but with that being said, I don't want to see him getting anymore playing time.

20. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Is there any word at all as to which way McGee is even leaning? I haven't seen a single thing being said about what his preference would be. I'm assuming the Clippers are at the top of his list just because it seems like they're at the top of every free agent's list when they clear waivers.