1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Salvaging Old PC/Laptop

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by RMGEEGEE, Aug 1, 2013.

1. RMGEEGEE

RMGEEGEE Contributing Member

CF,

Looking to purchase a newer high-end laptop for personal use.

I currently have a 5-6 year old desktop (was high end when I bought it), and a 3 year old laptop. Because Both of these items will be redundant and I will be moving away for a while, I am looking to salvage them somehow.

The desktop is in decent condition - clean, but one small recurring error.
    The laptop was just fine until I contracted a virus and had to install linux to be able to operate it. Linux works great, but I am unable to load Windows 7 OS.

Is it possible to salvage any parts or pieces? I would have a hard time just tossing this stuff or giving it away. Plus, making any money off this stuff would go toward purchasing the new laptop.

Much thanks.

2. Antec

Antec Member

Honestly this stuff probably wouldnt be worth $50 each, if even that.

Old computers (especially 5 years old) are pretty much useless these days.

Better off trying Craigslist and seeing if you can scam some poor chump.

1 person likes this.
  3. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Yeah, you're not going to make money at all.
    PCs aren't something you buy once and then never upgrade again, its a constant retooling and upgrading process. If you don't do that then you're going to end up with a load of junk in five years that you can't sell for any decent amount of money, and your need to upgrade will be extremely costly.

1 person likes this.
  4. RMGEEGEE

RMGEEGEE Contributing Member

Well, ****.

No problem, couldn't expect much anyway.

Thanks.

5. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

There is a small chance to get some money off it if you happened to buy one of those ~$1000 graphic cards that were literally top-of-the-line in that time period.

Other than that your best bet is craigslist or eBay. I'd recommend eBay, figure out what parts are on your computer, see if anyone is selling it on eBay and just sell it for that price. It won't be much but you might as well make some money off of it.

6. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

You can maybe salvage your desktop. Start selling your ram, hdd, any fans, etc. Laptop is gone, lucky to get anything for it.