1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Salary Cap

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by #TheBeard, Oct 8, 2013.

1. #TheBeard

#TheBeard Member

Plz someone with knowledge of the salary cap help me out here. What does the future hold for the Texans salary cap wise. Are we gonna be strapped up to the cap like last year or is there moves to be made. I know they could cut daniels and save like 4 mill but i also know they need to resign ninja. Any other key free agents, or possible cap casualties that could help us save some money and go get some more talent??

2. meh

meh Contributing Member

Spotrac is your friend if you want the nitty gritty details.

Short summation.

1. The Texans are near the cap.

2. Schaub, AJ, Jospeh, Foster, Duane Brown, Cushing all make a ton of money and have a large amount guaranteed money. Meaning cutting them would very much affect the cap. But only Brown and Cushing are truly uncuttable. Everyone else can be cut if the Texans are willing to bite the bullet a bit. All except Joseph and Foster are looking at raises next year.

3. Myers, Daniels, Reed, Manning have high salaries but can be cut without suffering too much of a bonus hit.

4. Wade Smith and Antonio Smith are both FAs at the end of this year. Saving the Texans $12mil, but much of it will go to raises to players listed at #2 if they're retained.

5. Everyone else makes peanuts relatively speaking.

6. Youngsters that may need re-signing this offseason: Mitchell, Tate, Sharpton, Graham

7. JJ Watt becomes FA next offseason. Current franchise tag on DE is $11mil, likely a bit higher in 2015. It would be a $9mil extra cap hit if the Texans give him a new contract starting at that cap figure.

#2 meh, Oct 8, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2013
  3. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I'm not sure that is 100% accurate. It might be... but IIRC we have an option on Watt of some sort... we could "franchise" him, but since he was drafted outside the top 10 we wont have to pay him at that higher tier. Instead, the 5-15 highest salaries will be averaged instead of 1-10. I know what I said isn't 100% accurate but it's closer to right than that 11mil.

4. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

I think OD, Manning, Reed, and Schaub are all goners soon to clear some room. I could see Manning being re-signed for cheap on a 1 year deal to have at least 1 veteran in the secondary. It's clear that we need some new blood on this team anyway.

If we get cheap production at QB, our salary cap issue would disappear. Look at how the 49ers and Seahawks were able to stack their rosters because they weren't paying an arm and a leg for a QB.

5. #TheBeard

#TheBeard Member

Another question, ive seen a few different numbers on how what would be the cap hit of cutting schaub in the offseason. Can some1 explain to me what would be the dead money cap hit if we cut Schaub??

6. Raven

Raven Member

Every discussion of the cap strongly suggest that if the Texans are dumping Schaub, it would make financial sense to replace him with a rookie.

7. Ericstocracy

Ericstocracy Member

If the Texans designate Slob as a June 1st cut they will only need to pay him $3mil for 2014 and $7mil in 2015.

In all aspects it's a great deal for the Texans, but they would have to finally grow a pair of balls before they do that. I some how feel that may never happen.

8. #TheBeard

#TheBeard Member

If thats the case, that sounds like a no-brainer to me. Schaub and Kubiak need to go. Our offense desperately needs a complete makeover.

9. Ericstocracy

Ericstocracy Member

As far as future cap space goes, we're pretty tied up in mediocre players atm.

Manning, Jjo, Reed, and Slob must go. That would help free up a ton of space.

Wade Smith isn't going to be brought back after this season, and even though I love Antonio I'd rather have Crick start and save money. They're already rotating Crick in on downs 1 & 2 anyway.

Mitchell is a must to resign and I would retain Graham. As much as I love OD, I think Graham can be better if he's let go and given the #1 spot. Plus OD is nearly always hurt.

We've also got about $2.2mil in dead money for this year.

With some shrewd moves and intelligent drafter would could be set up for a lot more success down the road, but this FO is pretty limp dicked about doing what's necessary.

10. Ericstocracy

Ericstocracy Member