1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Safety Chris Clemons visiting with Texans

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by cdain3, Mar 28, 2014.

1. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Member

Wonder if this means were cutting him.

2. dabush713

dabush713 Member

Initial reactions are that I like this. Decent player on an appropriate salary

3. Summer Song Giver

Spending money to replace Rick Smith draft busts Shiloh Keo and DJ Swearinger.

Bad recipe for success.

I know, I know, I have no idea what these signings mean or why the Texans are bringing in veteran safeties.

I do know we have an old man eating up space and not on the roster and also a 2nd round pick on the roster and that outside the DT and QB position, this is the only position they have thrown any money at despite spending considerable resources just last year on the same position.

Good job Rick

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Do you read what you write before you click submit?

5. Summer Song Giver

My point stands, no matter how poorly written

6. Remii

Remii Member

Great... The safety position just improved from worst to bad...

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I wasn't trying to point out any error in writing, merely that you are calling Swearinger and Keo "busts"?

First of all, it's WAY too early to be saying that about Swearinger and Keo was a mid 5th round pick.....and the best safety on our team last year per PFF's rankings....If anything he's given us great value for his draft slot.

8. J.R.

J.R. Member

McClain: Doesn't bode well for Manning(roster spot) and Keo(as a starter)

At $6 mil, he got to take a pay cut or be gone. If cut, expect him to end up in Tampa with Lovie Smith.

9. Cannonball

Cannonball Member

Too soon to call Swearinger a bust and I thought he played well last year. Besides, if Wade gets the credit for Watt, you know he had the most say in drafting Swearinger (and Mercilus) as well.

Keo a 5th round pick. Would we like him to be better? Sure. But I don't consider a 5th rounder who's managed to stay (and actually play a good amount) in the league for 3 years to be a bust. Just like Derek Newton isn't exactly a bust either. It's not that he's good, but you have to factor in that he's a 7th round and not much should be expected out of him and that the team should've had somebody better to put in front of him. It's not like Keo is Roc Carmichael (who went a round before Keo) or Sherrick McMannis, guys who were also mid round picks who sucked so bad they barely even got a chance to see the field.

EDIT: I can't believe I agree with Bobby on something.

10. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

The Phinsider provided this:

"In training camp, Clemons was clearly the leader of the secondary, and most of the defense, calling out signals, and making sure everyone was in the correct positions."

Also a bigger stat: He did not commit one penalty AT ALL In 2013 on 1,137 snaps

11. Remii

Remii Member

And don't forget Reed and Montgomery to go along with DJ and Mercilus. At least they hit with J.J. I can see the rest of those guys being cut after this coming season (maybe Mercilus can survive though).

12. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>After the Chris Clemons signing Texans are still almost $9 million under the cap.</p>&mdash; John McClain (@McClain_on_NFL) <a href="https://twitter.com/McClain_on_NFL/statuses/449669347372302336">March 28, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

13. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>In my opinion, Chris Clemons better than many of the safeties who were signed before him. Should be good value for <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Texans&amp;src=hash">#Texans</a> to land him now.</p>&mdash; Dan Hope (@Dan_Hope) <a href="https://twitter.com/Dan_Hope/statuses/449657919836286976">March 28, 2014</a></blockquote>

14. Fantasma Negro

That's an upgrade over Manning

15. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Should have signed Blount. Would have been a great 1-2 punch with Arian.

16. Fantasma Negro

I hope he restructures. I like Manning and I would love to see him play with Clemons and play Swag as the third safety in the dime package. That will take a whole heck of a lot of pressure off the corners. Nice subtle upgrades, now we need an ILB and a DE

17. Fantasma Negro

Free agency isn't over yet

18. rezdawg

rezdawg Member

Bye Manning.

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>The <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Texans&amp;src=hash">#Texans</a> have signed Chris Clemons. Clemons started 48 games for the Miami Dolphins.

MORE: <a href="http://t.co/A0mL8m9Kh0">http://t.co/A0mL8m9Kh0</a> <a href="http://t.co/rkjRq9dys2">pic.twitter.com/rkjRq9dys2</a></p>&mdash; Houston Texans (@HoustonTexans) <a href="https://twitter.com/HoustonTexans/statuses/449680785931390976">March 28, 2014</a></blockquote>

20. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Steelers got him