1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can former Rocket Eric Gordon and the Suns bounce back against the Timberwolves? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Safe to travel to Greece?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by BetterThanEver, Jun 10, 2012.

1. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

Greece is bankrupt and there seems to be local violence. Neo-Nazi party have a record number of political victories in Greece. Neo-Nazi members have not been kind to forgeiners in the past. More than half of the police officers voted for the Neo-Nazis.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/rep...ficers-estimated-to-have-voted-for-neo-nazis/

There are protests against the violent Neo-Nazi Golden Dawn party and the military police.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/jun/08/greek-police-golden-dawn

I am thinking of travelling to Greece in a few weeks. Is it likely that minority(Vietnamese) tourists will be singled out for violence?

#1 BetterThanEver, Jun 10, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2012
  2. dmc89

dmc89 Member

A friend who travels frequently for work went there in April, and he plans to return there again with family in July. He said it was very safe and laid-back in the tourist areas and islands, just somewhat tense in Athens.

I visited about ten years ago. Gorgeous seascapes. You'll love it!

3. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Yes, it's safe to go.

4. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Unless you wear a German flag you're good.

5. Turpis

Turpis Member

Don't worry, every year thousands of Macedonians go over there and they hate us, but at the seaside/tourist/island area is fine, even in the major cities, you're a tourist.

6. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Here's what you do:

Get in shape. Awesome shape.
    Grow a sweet and well groomed beard.
    Don your loincloth.
    Don your red cape.

Now go to Greece. Every time you see someone next to a hole, ditch, pool, fountain, cliff....wherever there's a drop, kick them in the chest while yelling, "THIS...IS...SPARTA!" (Fun variant: "TONIGHT WE DINE IN HELL!!")

No one in Greece will mess with you.

[​IMG]

7. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Just look like a homeless guy. You'll be fine.

8. David Stern

David Stern Member

9. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think the Golden Dawn is most upset about immigrants. I'm not sure there are many Vietnamese immigrants getting into the EU through Greece. I think it would be much more problematic if you were Middle Eastern or African.

Also, the Golden Dawn spokesman beat the crap out of two left wing women politicians on TV just the other day and is on the lamb, and this has apparently caused a whole bunch of backlash for the Golden Dawn, so I think they might be on their best behavior over the next few weeks.

That having been said, everything I've seen about them indicates they are really nasty bastards. They seem much more bold than the normal Neo-Nazi thugs you hear about every once-in-a-while, such as at the Euro 2012 competitions. They apparently pretty regularly assault people that you think would be beyond the pale, like Parliament level sitting politicians (of unfavored parties). If I were you, I'd at least be thinking about them when I were in public and keeping one eye out.

10. Jontro

Jontro Member

Just say you're a demi god and say your dad is either Ares, Zeus, or Hades. If you pick Hades, ask them to come over to your home and everyone will steer clear.

11. crossover

crossover Contributing Member

If you have some basketball skills, you might become the next T-mac of greece.

#11 crossover, Jun 10, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2012