1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

SA Sportstalk radio to interview Stern at 4 PM

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SA Rocket, May 4, 2005.

1. SA Rocket

SA Rocket Contributing Member

Earlier they were giving examples of how the Rockets were jobbed in game 5. I'm disappointed they didn't address this with Stern since he was there to see it happen.:(

2. SA Rocket

SA Rocket Contributing Member

When asked what JVG was fined 100K for, he said it was for not co-operating with the investigation.

Yeah, right...:rolleyes: so you're not upset in the least that JVG's comments imply that someone in the NBA is something less than up and up.

3. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Even disregarding this incident with JVG, I have never really liked David Stern. I know he has a major responsibility but why is he always talking out of two sides of his mouth, AND his a$$, at the same time?

Lies and doubletalk. Glib salesman crap.

Just be a little more real and people might actually take your side, Stern. The thing is, fans have always suspected BS officiating in the NBA.

I'm gonna back up the coach on this. I don't believe Van Gundy would lie about this. What would be the point? He could have just gone out there and said Yao's getting beeyotch-slapped around and no calls are being made and he's sick of it, taken his $15,000 fine or whatever, and gone on his way.

Note to Stern: Methink you doth protest too much. Like when Bill O'Reilly (apologies to conservatives, there are other examples that I can't remember just now) tried to take Al Franken to task over his last book and literally got laughed out of court. All you're doing is fanning the flames and garnering positive public reaction for the other side.

4. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

Stern is a lier because he is a lawyer. That's why you need a lawyer in such a position, you need a guy who is clever with words, who can go around the questions being asked and talk a lot of BS when needed.

When you have a guy like Stern as Commissioner for this long in the league (since 1984), you see his effect on the league. He has molded the league into his image, and he will do anything to create "drama" and sell the product. The NBA is an entertainment, it is not a real sport anymore of real men fighting on the court to determine who comes out on top. The refs are the agents, they are there to make sure the script goes as planned. Now, sometimes teams defy the script and overcome the odds, the 1995 Rockets was one of them.

In the playoffs, games are naturally going to be close more often than not. Esepcially in such a tightly-fought series like the Rockets-Mavericks one, every single call makes a difference. The refs CAN and DO in fact give teams the edge in a single game very often, they have been doing it for years. It has just never been more obvious than it is now.

There is NO doubt in my mind that EVEN with the Rockets' FT wooes in the 4th quarter in Game 5, the terrible officiating in the 4th lost that game for us. We still should have won despite our shortcomings. This series should have been 3-2 in favor of the Rockets now. And no, that is not b****ing and whining, that is a FACT, an absolute undeniable FACT, and you can go back and watch the 4th quarter in game 5 (which I did) and you will see what I am talking about.

The refs f*ked us on Monday, let's hope they make up for it with a "special directive" from the league tomorrow night.

5. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

The only people that are ever going to be able to get rid of Stern are the owners themselves. And when you consider that half of them were handpicked by Stern (Les included) to be allowed to purchase an NBA franchise during the past 20 years, I don't see that happening. And even if Les did have a gripe with either Stern or Cuban I would suspect he would have to summon each of them to Jewish Court adjudicated before a Beth Din before he could even use civil legal avenues.

6. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

That is sad, he is trying to justify bad officiating by saying they are spending money on it?

David Stern, the Knicks have the biggest payroll in the NBA right now, I guess that makes them the best team in the league right?

7. nyquil82

nyquil82 Contributing Member

I called Stern the biggest liar in the NBA months ago and people defended him. No further explanation needed.

8. wgray

wgray Member

we need sters sucks t-shirts for the game:D

9. ebu

ebu Member

OMG YOU SHOULD SOOOOO DO THAT......please someone do that.
    That would be the best, lol.:D :D

10. KeepKenny

KeepKenny Contributing Member

Wow, 14 million smackers. And about how much revenue does the NBA bring in? A billion or so? Stern needs to loosen the purse strings and spend more money if this is what you get for 14 million.

11. alain076

alain076 Member

14mil is nothing if thats the sum including the referees salaries.
    How many referees are there?

also this line of his on the finley call makes me sick

Chris: Did that call really bother you looking back on it?
    Stern: Every missed call is a concern to me, but we get lots of em.

what a lame excuse.He didn't have to add the but line ...

If's theres that many missed calls then do something about it!!. don't just bring it in as an excuse to downplay the finley call.

12. double d

double d Contributing Member

Anybody know the link to this site?

13. tigermission1

It is multiple billions over and over again.

University of Houston has a budget of 900 million dollars alone. I am sure the NBA is ten folds more than that, at least!

14. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

My thing is, $tern spends that kind of money on refs and this is the crap we get.

15. GoatBoy

GoatBoy Member

On behalf of myself and all other lawyers, may I just say, you don't suck.:D

16. tigermission1

LOL!

Hey, my bad man. I didn't mean that ALL lawyers are bad, but usually if you want to be at the top like Stern and other "big shots", you gotta be dirty;)

I am sure there are some "clean" lawyers somewhere, right, right?:confused: :p