1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

S.I. John P. Lopez: Rockets must cease Yao-injury denial, chart rebuilding plan

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Raven, Jul 1, 2009.

1. MightyMog

MightyMog Member

Let me also add to this.

You also can't win, when you sign multiple undersized players because they are cheap or during JVG years (we signed every former Ex-knick come on Rod STickland, Charles Oak.....Spoon, Ward........)

2. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Member

Who cares if nobody wants our players "right now"......we can let them expire and use the cap ourselves. Doesn't matter though, because to say "nobody wants our players" is inaccurate. Teams will be calling after disappointing seasons around the trade deadline for Tmac's contract and teams in contention will be looking to deal for supreme role players like Battier.

Seriously why do some of y'all act like since we're not pulling trades now.......we're going to have nobody to trade with. Teams are more willing to make trades midseason.

3. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Member

:D LMAO......understatement of the century.

4. MightyMog

MightyMog Member

By midseason, my stance will change. But as of right now, nobody wants our players.

Honestly do you think big name players are going to want to come to a Houston team so they can rebuild?

5. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Member

What else is Houston supposed to do....they have to move on from Yao and Tmac.

there is almost 40 million dollars of cap space sitting on a gurney year in and year out. People don't want it, but right now that's the only option. Morey knows it, which is why he's not going to resign Yao. He have to get younger, cheaper, and rebuild.

Battier will be moved.

Nobody will pick up Yao, because his value is crap right now.

and at worst we'll wait til Tmac expires........which isn't that bad anyways.

6. dakeem1

dakeem1 Member

I big trade with T-Mac's contract would be nice, but since we are in rebuilding mode, there's no point in acquiring anything. Letting his contract expire is a good way to go, assuming we play our cards right when resigning our players this offseason.

It looks like Artest is gone, so we don't need to worry about him eating into capspace.

I think we can respectfully still win 37-43 games next season with our lineup seeing how we played against Lakers anyway. For some people looking to rebuild, they think we should tank, but don't worry. I think we can play respectfully okay and still rebuild.

7. dakeem1

dakeem1 Member

I big trade with T-Mac's contract would be nice, but since we are in rebuilding mode, there's no point in acquiring anything. Letting his contract expire is a good way to go, assuming we play our cards right when resigning our players this offseason.

It looks like Artest is gone, so we don't need to worry about him eating into capspace.

I think we can respectfully still win 37-43 games next season with our lineup seeing how we played against Lakers anyway. For some people looking to rebuild, they think we should tank, but don't worry. I think we can play respectfully okay and still rebuild.

HEre's a positive if we don't make any big trades...

Brooks will instantly become the #1 option which will inflate his trade value severely. As much as some people may want to hold on to him in Houston, he'd be perfect to trade after this coming season.

Let's be patient Rocket's fans and see if we can build an elite team over the next 2 seasons. It beats holding on to lsot glory

8. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

I can't tell you what I think about the article, because I saw it was written by Lopez, and read no further.

9. BlastOff

BlastOff Member

At some point we as Rockets fans have to wake up and smell the losing.

10. JusBleezy

JusBleezy Contributing Member

I absolutely despise John Lopez, but he is absolutely, positively right for once.

I don't understand why the Rockets can't see this. Even if he does come back from this potentially career-ending injury, we still want to pin our hopes on him not getting injured from that point on? (I honestly think his latest injury being career-ending is highly unlikely, but the Rockets' team doctor agreed that it may be.) Even though past examples of big men with foot problems have shown that they can not stay healthy for any real stretch of their careers and Yao is bigger than them all.

This article doesn't change my absolute disdain for John Lopez, but he is completely right.

#30 JusBleezy, Jul 2, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2009
  11. JusBleezy

I don't know why you think that Morey won't resign Yao, because everything I've seen says that he will indeed resign Yao. The only question being for how much and the length of the contract.

12. Canadiandude

Canadiandude Member

I don't think the Rockets' organization is in any sort of denial. Their effort, thus far, quite contradicts Lopez's claim. The Rockets' tried to move up to #2 in the draft to quite possibly draft Thabeet (!), and was allegedly in talks regarding A.Stoudemire and Rubio. And Lopez is in some sort of denial if he thinks any rational businessman would get rid of THE global cash cow in Yao.

13. Canadiandude

Canadiandude Member

Why do you think Morey's been fielding trade offers for T-Mac, sound like the Rockets are trying to cling on to him? Or the Rockets attempt(s) to get bigs, Thabeet, Gortat....more to come... this summer. Does this sound like an Organization which is in denial? I'm not defending anyone whose argument is "So and so SUCKS", but Lopez's article is a year or so too late. If this article was written a year ago, and I might have given Lopez a nod, only to my nod shoved in my face, since the Rockets was the only team to take the Lakers to game 7. But nothing the Rockets are doing so far support Lopez's claim that the Rockets are in denial. Just my 2 cents ;)

14. cml750

cml750 Member

Why in the world we we resign Yao. That would be franchise suicide unless it were for the absolute veteran minimum. HE CAN NOT STAY HEALTHY! I love Yao and what he brought to the team, but his era is over. We better pray that Morey realizes this too or we are screwed. The best thing Yao can do to help this franchise is to opt out of the last "player option" year of his contract. Everyone likes Yao, but anyone who wants to keep him is stupid because of his health!

15. JusBleezy

I didn't say we should re-sign Yao. I said everything that I've seen says that Morey will.

Honestly, it's best for the organization to have the public believe that we will re-sign him so that we don't burn bridges 2 years before it is even an issue.