1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ryno to Houston

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Amel, Sep 25, 2019.

1. sheb

sheb Member

The owner didn’t have the money to pay Ariza, and I remember an article stating Hardens opinion of Carmelo was “he needs to know his role”
    There was a lot of animosity and tension between Anderson and the rockets last time, because of his bloated contract
    Harden had to be okay with this IMO

2. bratna8

bratna8 Member

3. bilaal14

bilaal14 Member

Nice Vet Leadership and warm body for the Rockets. I like this signing. Good blend of youth and vets...perfect for a ring.

4. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Everything is not CP3's fault, guys. There was a time when Ryno was struggling with his shot, every pass Ryno got from CP3 resulted in a made 3 pointer. The connection between CP3 and Ryno was there (on the court) and almost supernatural.

clutchdabear, AroundTheWorld and YOLO like this.
  5. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

My expectation for Anderson is very low so anything he can contribute in a positive way is a plus. That being said, MDA's rotation since he's been in Houston can be separated into 4 groups:

1. Starters
    2. Players that can score and/or get hot
    3. I need a big in there because the other team's big is punking Clint
    4. In case of emergency break glass

For 1 you have:

Clint
    Tucker
    Gordon
    Harden
    Westbrook

For 2 you have:

Green
    House
    Rivers

For 3 you have

Chandler
    Nene

For 4 you have:

Thabo
    Clark
    Hartenstein
    Anderson
    15th guy

I could argue that Ryan could belong to Group 2 if his shooting comes back. Bennett? If his G-League shooting translates then sure I can put him in group 2 or 4 but I'm willing to bet MDA will have Anderson higher in the rotation than Bennett at this point.

payaso likes this.
  6. steddinotayto

Do you have a game in mind where this occurred? Not being argumentative at all but I'd like to see the stats behind this.

7. steddinotayto

On a serious non-fake-hot-take note: I think Anderson will be better prepared for this season, specifically mentally. I think the weight/pressure to produce and live up to his contract ate him alive the last year he was here. Now without that weight, I think he'll let it fly from deep faster and better.

8. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

It was over multiple games. I couldn't tell you which games. but this was a tweet from way back when and a thread on Cluchfans about it.

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/index.php...-better-at-3p-receiving-pass-from-cp3.286638/

all I know, there was a time if CP3 was passing to Ryno, he was making the shot without fail.

34to11, D-rock, carib and 8 others like this.
  9. steddinotayto

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  10. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

I didn't say he was there to make a consistent impact. I said he was unplayable in the playoffs. The fact that he was inactive or barely played against Minny and Utah kind of supports that. He went from 30.5mpg in the playoffs his first year here to 8.6mpg his second year.

In your opinion, was he playable in the playoffs or not? I consider someone playing less than ten minutes per game and being inactive for half of the games to be unplayable.

11. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I got hope for Ryno. Rockets desperately need someone tall. Rockets fans hoping for his shooting, but Ryno is a low-key solid rebounder.

hakeem94, clutchdabear and JayGoogle like this.
  12. Astrosfan183

Astrosfan183 Member

He was really bad last season. I'd honestly be a bit surprised if he actually makes the roster. But if he can still shoot I think he'd be useful. I don't want him getting any minutes in the playoff rotation unless he somehow matches up right because of defensive reasons, but 10-15 minutes a game throughout the regular season to take some pressure off PJ would be great. Depth at the 4 has really had me worried. I was starting to just hope Gary Clark takes a leap this season

BaselineFade likes this.
  13. YOLO

YOLO Member

i mean that's fine with me. the rockets had a gameplan for both those teams that didn't really involve him. great. they dominated. that's the end goal anyway for the actual team itself to win. Keep in mind his status in the rotation was going downhill as the season ended for various reasons. I don't think he was unplayable vs those teams. He can play against them but just wasn't necessary to beat them as what they had going for them obviously worked. No sense in really going away from that. It was really GS that forces him to be unplayable. they had the personnel to expose him and any other big out there that is unable to hold their own defensively. So it isn't just Ryno.

clutchdabear and MrButtocks like this.
  14. iJHolmes

iJHolmes Member

The real question though, is how did he do last season?

15. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

He still has to make the team.....

16. YOLO

YOLO Member

people out here acting like that's going to be all world difficult with all the guys that are considered likely not to make the team

steddinotayto and Tfor3 like this.
  17. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

I'd be happy to put money that Hartenstein isn't getting cut as a healthy player. This dude is a rebounding machine, once he learns the league and stops the fouls he'll be a great guy off the bench behind CC.

carib and AroundTheWorld like this.
  18. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

i don't think so either....he has too much potential. he needs to work on that deep 3 pointer that ryan anderson has....

AroundTheWorld and Madmanmetz like this.
  19. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

You mean the Brad Lidge that got crushed as an Astro then went to Philly had a perfect save season of 41 games plus a 2-0 record, finished as a world champion??? I'll take it.

20. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

He's great because if you want to go tall, there he is.

Now he's not great against the Warriors and other teams that spread you out...

But the Lakers who are basically going to be big for most of the game? You are going to pull their bigs out of the paint without losing size, and while he can't out rebound the likes of Mcgee and Dwight, he can neutralize them by pulling them out of the paint, he has to be guarded from three.