1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ryan Mallett named the Texans starting quarterback

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by JonRetro, Nov 5, 2014.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I don't want to see the Texans get tied to Mallett either, but there's no chance that Winston is the pick even if he's there when we draft. Of course I said that last season about Teddy Bridgewater from December on and yet people kept on talking it up as if there was a chance it would happen.

2. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Was there an appreciably better QB available? Here are the 8 FA QBs available last year:
    1. Michael Vick
    2. Mark Sanchez
    3. Josh Freeman
    4. Josh McCown
    5. Ryan Fitzpatrick
    6. Jason Campbell
    7. Brandon Weeden
    8. Kevin Kolb
    That's the 1927 Yankees of Suck, right there. Two aren't even in the league currently. And of the other six, only 1 (Fitzpatrick, of course) was a week 1 starter and that was by default.

In terms of signging a stop-gap FA (which they would have done even if they used 1.1 on a QB), you could argue Fitzpatrick *was* the best available. (In hindsight, Sanchez probably would have been a better choice; he's younger and probbably has the best NFL resume - not to mention, he was a former top 5 pick. But like Schaub here, his reputation was so tattered, I'm not sure he was a viable option. The NY media had ground him into a bloody pulp, unfortunately.)

3. Hey Now!

Lord.........

If they pass on Winston (and I'll maintain: if he falls to the middle of the round, I think he's a far more viable possibility), it'll be exclusively because of his behavior, which means there's absolutely zero relevance to Teddy Bridgewater.

Seriously, you should make a concerted effort to go a week without mentioning Teddy Bridgewater. We get it; everyone gets it. The horse is a bloody, unrecognizable puddle. Move on...

4. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I argued a couple of pages back that Sanchez has an even worse resume than Fitz. He's never completed 60% of his passes and has more INTs than TDs. We'll see how the rest of the season goes, but I'm not ready to crown him king of the trash heap because he played decently for a half in relief of Foles. Still threw 2 picks.

5. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

His Touchdown Celebration. :grin:

6. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Yeah buddy that is an ugly list Hey Now. If I were to rank that nastiness it would go:

Michael Vick
    Mark Sanchez
    Jason Campbell
    Josh McCown
    Ryan Fitzpatrick
    Josh Freeman
    Kevin Kolb
    Brandon Weeden

7. Hey Now!

Objectively, he's 27, a former first round pick, with six playoff starts. No, he hasn't been an appreciably good QB; he likely will never be a good QB. But I'd argue his ceiling is higher than Fitzpatrick's; he's athletic, has a very good arm... And I think *any* QB is markedly better with Foster, Johnson and Hopkins (not to mention, I think, a better coaching staff).

You're still picking the skinniest kid at fat camp....

8. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

If you're only looking for a stop gap, does ceiling matter?

9. ktbballplaya

ktbballplaya Member

I think there is a reason why patriots played hardball with Mallett on the trade market. Rumors where they wanted a 2 or 3rd round pick for him originally. They had to cave due to Mallet was in the last year of his contract, which is why we got him so late in the off-season.

10. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

You've basically described the dilemma Cleveland currently is with Manziel... and they didn't even use that high a pick on him, nor is Hoyer a for-sure franchise QB.

If Mallett is legit, it would be a WASTE to draft another QB (unless you think he's can't miss/for-sure HOFer... which usually never is the case).

11. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

Thats why I have said all along that Mallett needed at least 6-7 starts to see what you have, and then figure out where to go from there. If he plays well then we draft to fill the bazillion other holes on this roster and if he sucks you pick a QB and BPA afterwards.

12. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

well, hoyer isn't "legit"..

13. Nimo

Nimo Member

How are the Browns able to lead the AFC North? Is Hoyer > Fitzpatrick? Is the Browns roster that much better than the Texans'?

14. Remii

Remii Member

Kyle Shanahan > O'Brien...????

15. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

They play a good/aggressive brand of defense, and they have a ball-control/ground-pound offense... Pettine comes from the Ryan coaching tree.

Just a hard nosed team with younger players all playing hungry... effort and execution often outweighs talent and contracts in this league.

16. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I think there's a reason they traded up to draft a young quarterback.....

17. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

To not pay for Mallet while maintaining value at their backup QB position.

18. Remii

Remii Member

Last night was probably the 1st good game for Cleveland's defense and that may have a lot to do with Andy Dalton. They do have Talent on the defensive side of the ball but the offense has been the strength of that team so far this year.

19. Hey Now!

Yeah, as with seemingly so much of the narrative surrounding Mallett, that simply isn't true. The Patriots used their own pick, 62nd overall, to draft Garappolo.

20. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

I was under the impression that Garappolo made him expendable hence the discount price of a conditional 7th round draft pick for him.