1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ryan Mallett named the Texans starting quarterback

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by JonRetro, Nov 5, 2014.

1. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I think it would be more interesting to see what happens if Mallett looks "good"... is he really the QB of the future, or is it just a small sample-size/beginners luck situation.

If he looks bad, then I think its pretty much status quo... as they'll either throw in Savage, put Fitz back in, and then they'll likely use a high round pick on a QB they like (or they'll make a trade for a backup like they did to acquire Schaub).

2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

For fairness' sake, I'd love to see a list of guys who were understudies/backups for 3-5 years that flopped when they finally got to play.

3. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

LOL appreciated ya:grin: dam good job

4. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

And I think it's fair to consider context. Ryan Mallett may indeed prove to be hot garbage... but like Aaron Rodgers (and I'm comparing their situations *only*), he wasn't a back-up because he earned the role; he was a back-up because no matter how good he might have been, he was never, ever, under any circumstance, going to beat out the guy in front of him - unless that guy passed away. It's not like he sat behind, you know, Jake Locker (coughcoughRyanFitzpatricklastyearcoughcough).

I think the vast majority of back-ups are back-ups by virtue of their limited skillset. And, again, Mallett might very well join that group. But I think his situation is unique. He's not Sage Rosenfels.

5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

That being said, I'd take it if he was as good as Sage ended up being in his brief stint with Houston.

Got him a pretty good FA deal as well.

6. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

We draft Winston no matter what. I'd hate to see us tie ourselves to Mallet after a small sample size.

7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

So if he's Kurt Warner re-incarnated, you draft another QB no matter what?

Yes, it would take a severe "exception" for that to happen... but there's enough time this season to see what they have in him. Plus he has the advantage of already "knowing" the system, so more time won't necessarily make him better.

8. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

At the very least....the excitement is back. Watching a young QB, get his shot. And the thrill of what can happen...will be pan out...for flame out.

Can't wait till the Browns game. Fitzpatrick was a hell of a leader, and locker room guy for the team, but he just didn't have the physical abilities. Sad, but my favorite highlight of the season with him was the pre game speech.

So long Beard. It's HAMMER TIME!

9. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

A great move by the coach. Mallett may be not an answer, but there is a chance that he could be a starter material. Fitzpatrick just has no chance.

10. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

I agree with much of the thoughts. Had to be made. Win/win situation ... Love his arm. Taller than I thought. If he impresses I'd love to see that as a fan

11. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Yeah, many here are hoping he doesn't play well so we'll draft a QB in the 1st round. I don't get this logic at all.

HYPOTHETICALLY SPEAKING (I just want to make that clear.........), what if he posts a 120 QB Rating for the next 7 games?

7 NFL games is a much larger sample size that 0 NFL games, which is the sample size for any QB we draft.

12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Exactly... and there's holes up and down this roster that would need shoring up (especially when they're getting nothing from the 2014 draft class).

13. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

For what time period? The rest of this season? Or indefinitely into the future? I wouldn't be satisfied with just Sage level of play for an extended period of time.

14. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I would.

Examine the worst case scenarios.

1) Mallett is legit and you waste a high pick on a QB. Oh well. Sucks that you drafted a guy you can't use, but you could probably flip him, even if you don't get 100% return on investment. And on the bright side, you finally have a franchise QB.

2) Mallett is fools gold and you bypass a franchise worthy QB in the draft. Texans remain stuck in QB mediocrity.

I'd argue that #2 is far worse. That doesn't mean you go out an reach for a QB or anything, but if somebody that the Texans think is a legit franchise QB falls to them in the 1st, you take him.

15. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Interesting how this move which had to happen sooner or later) has put a spark back into a franchise that was spiraling into irrelevance.

And I suspect Mallett's two biggest fans:

Andre Johnson
    Jadeveon Clowney

16. DAROckets

DAROckets Contributing Member

Yep , he is supposed to know the system so 7 games should be sufficient time to evaluate and his rope should be much shorter then a rookie coming in and learning a system .. I expect the first couple of games to be rough but would hope to start seeing improvement by the 3rd or 4th game

17. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

Let's not forget that Mallet missed all of training camp with the Texans.

He doesn't have to set the world on fire to get re-upped here... he just has to show competency.

18. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

[​IMG]

19. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Absolutely, positively no way we draft Winston, no matter what.

Not saying I agree with it, just won't happen.

20. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

Aaron Rodgers may be the last QB of that type ever again.

Indy could have been in that situation with Manning and Luck, but of course, there was risk if Manning couldn't return from surgery. It certainly wasn't a sure thing. Who could have predicted Manning's best years were after the multiple surgeries?