1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ryan Hollins joins Rockets broadcast team

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Sep 30, 2021.

1. Newlin

Newlin Member

He played for 10 different NBA teams.

He was known as “the booty call”.

2. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I want to be the consummate professional and support Hollins, but I'd rather club baby seals.

Rashmon and WestendMassive like this.
  3. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Yeah, I've never heard him do pbp, but I couldn't care less what he says on those clown shows. You pay me enough, I'll say whatever you want on a show. lol.

4. CapelaOnlyFan

CapelaOnlyFan Member

FUUUUUKKKKKK!!!!! Wtf bruh Hollins is the biggest idiot I’ve ever seen on TV…. And that’s saying a lot. I don’t get it. I just don’t get it smh

5. Jontro

Jontro Member

i mean... was john stockton unavailable?

JamesC likes this.
  6. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We should get Maxwell to do some guest commentary

AroundTheWorld and Plowman like this.
  7. J.R.

J.R. Member

Y’all (& Rockets twitter) need to stop hating.
    Give the guy a chance.

Y’all deserve Clyde Drexler calling the game.

(“But but but at least Clyde is a Rocket!”) :rolleyes:

Deuce, Rockets4Life13, Nook and 3 others like this.
  8. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Maybe he'll be cool if he isn't saying crazy things for attention. That's all I'd hear from him on national sport's media.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  9. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

Hollins is definitely an “from left field” hire.

No direct Houston ties but he seemed to be pretty pro-Rockets/Harden when it was cool to hate. I don’t want to take much from his ESPN guest appearances because it’s obvious that he was there to be the heel and contradict others opinions.

Willing to give it a chance though.

BonziWellsGOAT likes this.
  10. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

I remember watching him somewhere and he was so bad that I looked him up.

Yay for cayleigh though!

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/texas-sports-nation/rockets/article/Ryan-Hollins-to-become-Rockets-TV-analyst-16500664.php

Ryan Hollins had no idea where his career and life would take him, much less any way to predict that on Thursday he would consider himself blessed to be named the television analyst for Rockets games. But at 10 years old, he saw Hakeem Olajuwon and everything changed.

“That championship Hakeem won, Houston was the team that made me fall in love with basketball,” Hollins said. “As a little boy, to look up and say, ‘Who’s that?’ Me and my dad watched that championship. ‘Dad, who is that? What’s a 2-pointer? What’s a 3-pointer?’ I learned the game of basketball watching the Houston Rockets win a championship.

“Now, it’s come full circle to have the opportunity to be one of the voices of the Houston Rockets. An average, everyday kid has an opportunity like this.”

[…]

Though plans are not finalized, the expectation that after broadcasting all games from Toyota Center last season, Ackerman and Hollins will be traveling to broadcast home and road Rockets games on site.

Hollins, a 10-year NBA veteran with nine teams, has worked as an analyst for CBS and as a studio analyst for Clippers games, along with work on ESPN and as the co-host of “The Opinionated 7-Footers” podcast.

“I mean, when opportunities come up like this, you don’t pass them by,” Hollins said. “When my name was just first mentioned, I can’t tell you how humbled I was just to be mentioned in such respects. I’m just thankful the opportunity has come my way. I’d like to say, God’s great. I don’t think I’m deserving for something this cool. Just an amazing opportunity.

“I’m still kind of pinching myself. I wasn’t the kid with the NBA dad, the pedigree from the eighth grade. I played 10 years in the NBA. I get to be around the NBA in broadcasting. I get to essentially be one of the voices of the Houston Rockets.”

The change is one of many with the Rockets with their dramatically retooled roster, changes that Hollins said makes his start with the team especially exciting.

“A lot of people look at this year as a rebuild, and it is in many respects,” Hollins said. “But I look and see some of the more young and exciting and talented players that we acquired and to have the opportunity to watch them grow and sit with them and be around them and get to know them on a day-to-day basis is going to be an extremely cool process to be a part of.”

clos4life likes this.
  12. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

Surprising...

I'm willing to give this a chance, but as long Ackerman is there we should be fine

BamBam and pr0wler like this.
  13. pr0wler

pr0wler Member

So that's officially it for Clyde "Night in and night out" Drexler and Matt "Playoffs?!?" Bullard?

HP3 likes this.
  14. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

I hated hearing him on espn. His sports opinion sucks. This blows

15. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Ryan Hollins I think he speaks with Enthusiasm and Charisma, with clear English. I guess the Rockets didn't have many good choices.

The problem with Vernon Maxwell I think he has a thick accent and hard to listen to. Vernon Personality and IQ is really High and you get to learn.

I think Robert Horry would've been a Perfect Hire. Unfortunately he works for the Lakers Studio.
    The Rockets really should be more aggressive next time when Robert Horry is available.

16. MarioKissoDeath

Supporting Member

Why couldn’t we get someone with ties to Houston? Not excited about this. Better than Clyde though! Hyuck hyuck you think? (Baby seals)

17. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Can we get Bull back? Please? Watching that was painful.

18. GOOGOOMECHUCK

GOOGOOMECHUCK Member

Hollins may have ties to Silas from their Charlotte days.

19. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

#disappointed

20. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I think Hollins was gone by then, wasn't he?