1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ryan Bowen to stay?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Oct 27, 2006.

1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I looked for the "who gets cut" thread but I couldn't find it.

Anyhow, Matt Jackson said on the radio this morning (he was filling in for John who I'm assuming was sick today) that he is hearing Bowen will be kept with the team.

So it looks like Flyin Ryan will be back next year and the "White Boy Supersquad" will still have at least one of the originals on the team. :p

2. Outlier

Outlier Member

This belongs in the "What is the most devestating event in Rockets history...? " thread.

3. Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If Bowen stays, I'm guessing Padgett gets cut.

4. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Haha! Mod, merge please. :)

5. macfan

macfan Contributing Member

:D :D :D :D

6. forchette49

forchette49 Contributing Member

Expiring contract people...

7. jsnwu

jsnwu Member

if this is true, sura and jacobsen will be done

8. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Obviously trade brewing.

9. rhino17

rhino17 Member

y would u geuss that?

10. Outlier

Outlier Member

I hope it's the one a previous poster mentioned about Seattle needing a big man after Robert Swift got down. (Hoping it's Howard for Watson)

11. thephatp

thephatp Contributing Member

Expiring contracts are pretty worthless trade bait unless they help with the salary cap/releave salary. Ryan Bowen is only going to make just under $1 million this year. That won't really help anyone.

12. Aloe

Aloe Contributing Member

Ryan Bowen is the worst player in the NBA bar none.

13. jopatmc

No. It gives us more salary flexibility in a trade. We have the $4.2 TE, plus we will probably have a $1.9 million TE after Sura retires. We could theoretically use Rybo's deal to add to Juwan and Head's deal to make a bigger trade considering the 25% flexibility and it would be like adding part or all of the TE to a deal. I kinda figured we might keep him just for this reason. Sorry, but I am still thinking that a deal with the Lake show could go down involving Mihm and McKie as soon as Mihm gets healthy.

14. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

Vin Baker is still in the league.

15. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

you can't combine a player with a TE to complete a trade. unless the other team has a TE to cover the player you want to sent them, then they give you thier player for your TE. basically making 2 trades at the same time.

also, i doubt that the rockets will get a TE because sura retires. maybe a tiny injury exception worth half of his contract, but even that i doubt the nba will give us considering he didn't get one for him last season.

the only way bowen is kept is if sura retires, jacobson is cut, and maybe they have a trade for juwon.

yao-hayes-deke
    shane-novak-padgett
    tmac-bonzi-bowen
    snyder-head-billy
    rafer-trade jho-lucas

16. kerry Mckee

kerry Mckee Member

If Ryan Bowen is on this team at the start of this season, Van Gumby is a bigger joke that I originally thought! :mad:

17. jopatmc

I am not talking about combining a trade exception. I'm talking about using dead salary and combine that with an assett to essentially accomplish the same thing as trading a player plus an exception if that were possible.

We all know that the Rox organzation is not just a bunch of free-wheeling spenders. And we have a TE now, that cannot be combined with a player. Plus we have Sura's contract that is probably going away when he retires. We will net a $1.9 million exception out of that deal. But more importantly is the dollars. We lose Sura's $3.8 mill off the cap. That leaves us with the ability to use the $4.2 million TE and essentially only add $400,000 to the cap. I imagine that is what we are probably going to do.

Now, with that being said. Wouldn't it be nice if we could combine the TE with another player's salary like Juwan's and pick up an asset or at least get rid of Juwan's dead weight contract??? Well, here's one possibility. Now, remember I am only using this as an example. I am not saying this is the deal that they are working on. What I am trying to illustrate is how Rybo's salary can help us to basically include the TE in a deal. You combine Rybo's salary with Juwan's and you get $7,391,067 of salary. Now add the 25% and the $100,000 and you get a total of $9,338,833 worth of player salary you can add. That would essentially be the same thing as combining part of the TE with a player. Rybo's salary gives us more flexibility in trades.

18. thephatp

thephatp Contributing Member

Right. And I also thought it was true that you could not add two TE's together. Is this not correct?

19. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

I'm 99% convinced with this..

20. jopatmc

yes, that's correct.

The way to look at it is this. Rybo's salary is effectively a TE that can be used to add to another contract and the size of that TE is $1,348,708 + 1.25 * the player's salary that is being traded (hopefully Juwan's).