1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Ryan Bernardoni] Kings could be setting up to take Ryan Anderson

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jayfree, Jul 18, 2018.

1. Nook

Nook Member

It depends on what you mean by "asset".

Do you consider someone like Bazemore or Batum an asset on the floor for the Rockets?

Do you consider a large trade exception to be an asset?

Ryan Anderson has serious negative value, but it doesn't mean the Rockets will get nothing out of dealing him.

2. Nook

Nook Member

Getting to the playoffs isn't the problem.

If you cannot help in the playoffs against the top teams, you are worthless to me.

I will gladly give up a #1 if I am getting someone in return that fills a need.

Batum or Bazemore do fill needs.

3. RobKsports

RobKsports Member

Just like the $10 million TPE from the Chris Paul trade

4. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Otto Porter Jr. fills a need too.
    [​IMG]

Nook likes this.
  5. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Exactly. The Rockets get an asset simply by getting something "less sucky" than Anderson.

6. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Agreed with "if getting someone in return that fills a need". I was discussing Ryno vs. TPE though. Also, getting to the playoffs is of course not a problem, but how they perform in the playoffs is affected by how heavy their workload was in the regular season. Ryno > nothing.

7. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Batum no, Bazemore yes.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  8. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

The TPE improves the flexibility to jump on a move.

Anderson isn't getting minutes ahead of Tucker/Ennis/Melo/Green etc.

9. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Sorry if I missed it, but can someone explain why Kent Bazemore's name is being brought up?

I get the Hawks would rather lose games than win this year, but are they really ready to run with Kevin Huerter as their tarting SG??

I get dumping Schroeder.

Ryan Anderson has a worse contract that Bazemore's.

D-rock likes this.
  10. basketballholic

Anderson may agree to a buyout if he can make up the buyout by signing in Sacramento.

Tellls me Anderson is likely being moved out in trade and then bought hit

11. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Maybe the sweetener tied to Ryno's deal is better than no sweetener and Bazemore to the Hawks? I'm not sure. The rockets don't have much sugar to spare, so I'm confused as well. I know cyber mentioned something like Ryno for Baze and another bad deal, but I was under the assumption it Baze and Shroder. Now that Shroder is gone this just seems like a bad deal for the hawks.

12. elmotsangtt

elmotsangtt Member

Can we get zach Randolph? I think this zach can beat Warriors green. Zach is all star level. He forms great inside with marc gasol to beat warriors before.

13. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

No way Anderson leaves a substantial amount on the table. I'm 95% sure of that. He would be a fool to. He isn't playing for his next big contract, this is his final big deal. If he's in the league in two years it will be vets min deals, and he has got to know that. That cal education will come through.

Sanity2disChaos and Nook like this.
  14. Nook

Nook Member

Good owners should spend money and pay the luxury tax for a team that has a realistic opportunity to win a championship..... like the Rockets.

If the Rockets deal Anderson, get nothing in return and let the trade exception expire...... then fans rightfully should be upset.

The reality is that as long as the Rockets have Paul and Harden, they will not have cap space, so the Rockets will be largely limited to the MLE to spend........ so the 20 million dollar contract of Anderson is the last way the Rockets have to improve. They better not waste that or all the howls of TF being stingy will ring true.

15. basketballholic

If Sacramento would give him a 2 year deal starting at 10 million then he could be bought out of the final year of his deal and essentially be an expiring contract.

16. Nook

Nook Member

No one wants Batum's contract, based simply on the length and number. It is essentially 3 years to Anderson's two.

However, it isn't as big an issue for the Rockets if the owner is fine going into the tax. The Rockets will not have any payroll flexibility for the entire time of Batum's contract with Paul/Harden/Capela all likely locked into long term deals.

It comes down to good a fit do the Rockets think Batum is. Do they think he is the difference between making the Finals and losing in round 2-3 over the next 2-3 years?

A lot goes into it, and we can only speculate because we don't know what TF is willing to do. On one hand I can tell you TF is extremely margin sensitive in his prior businesses. If this carries over, he isn't paying the tax. However, he also has an image he cares a great deal about in Houston and has said owning a sports franchise isn't like an other business. Then, not resigning Ariza was purely for financial reasons, not the product on the court.

slothy420, D-rock and treyk3 like this.
  17. JayZ750

Yeah, I don't think it works still, but:

Ryan, Nene, Onuaku, Future Pick
    for
    Bazemore, Plumlee

??

Rockets send out $25.2 million ish, and take back $30.6 million. Is that close enough? I'm not sure how the 125% rule works or even if that's the number here. 125% of $25.2 million is $31.5 million so it'd work if that's how the math is calculated.

I don't know... not that thrilling. I'd probably pull the pick if that was the deal. We'd be taking on Plumlee - who sucks... REALLY BAD - at another $12.5 million the next year.

I like Bazemore, but he's more of a 2/3 whereas the Rockets need more of a 3/4.

18. JayZ750

He's not close to an all star level anymore.

But he does have the potential to be sneakily effective off the bench, and matchup relatively well with Green, if he doesn't get too old.

19. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

If they don't use that trade exception and do nothing but add Carmelo between now and the playoffs, then yes that will be problematic.

But I highly doubt Morey intendeds to hit next offseason without any tradeable salaries, and getting that won't be difficult. Getting mad at them for now is making a pretty big assumption IMO.

20. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Yeah Batum's contract is a literal nightmare . But if he can play like he did in Portland and his first year or so in charlotte , he can play a big roll on our team .

But that contract man .

D-rock likes this.